SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberry_2007

encroachment question

blueberry-2007
16 years ago

Hello, I have read about some of the hostile neighbors and the encroachment issues. My issues are not due to any hostility or maliciousness from neighbors. We have gotten along very well. My house is on the market. I was not required to have a survey when I bought the house. I knew that my neighbor's carport was over my property line possibly by as much as 8 feet. The carport has been there for over 30 years. Another consideration is that some of my property may encroach on another neighbor. This building and garden has been there at least 22 years.

Is it worth trying to correct this for the new buyers? Does my neighbor with the garage now own the property that was encroached since the encroachment is now 33 years old? And do I now own the property that I encroached on since it has been that way for at least 22 years.

I must decide if I am going to put money and time into a survey that is not required and any resulting attorneys to make what ever corrections can be made. But none of that makes sence if the issue is resolved because the encroachments are so old.

Would the property be "grandfathered" in?

Thx.

Thx.

Comments (9)