SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanveann_gw

So ... um, where do I start?!

sanveann
11 years ago

My husband and I bought a beautiful piece of property (10 acres) a couple of years ago, planning to build some years down the road. Well, due to some changes in circumstances, we will probably be able to build much sooner than that -- as in, any time now, once we figure out what we are doing.

We're not in a huge rush, but we are a family of five that has been feeling cramped for several years now, so we don't want to put it off long. (There is also a school district issue that moving by September or so would resolve, but that's secondary to doing this right.)

So, my rather embarrassing question is, where do we start?! I thought I had a LOT more time before this whole process kicked into gear! Are there any books you would recommend (or not recommend)?

We have our contractor -- we met him years ago and he was incredibly helpful while we were buying land and has been recommended by numerous people. Our next step, I think, is to get preapproval from the credit union so we get a ballpark figure and then nail down a home plan. Does that sound about right?

We have our eye on a couple of online plans, but I want some tweaks done to both of them. Would you suggest an architect or a home designer? Oh my gosh ... this whole thing is kind of overwhelming!

Comments (17)