SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storyofmylife_gw

Is this light too big for our entry foyer?

storyofmylife
11 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some feedback on a hanging lantern for our entry foyer.

We found this lantern that we really like - http://www.build.com/designers-fountain-23853-am-orb-3-light-foyer-pendant-from-the-sedona-collection/p855738

The dimensions, according to the website, are 33 inches tall and 19 inches wide. Our foyer is 13.5 ft long x 7 ft wide with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling height, at the walls, is 9 ft 6 inches and rise to 11 ft, 9 inches at the center. There are three 8 ft doors in the foyer - the entry door, the entry closet (double doors), and the powder room (just to put some context of the foyer).

I found some sizing guidelines on the web, and the light seems to be within those guidelines. For example, the width of the light in inches should be approximately the length of the room plus the width of the room (13 + 7 = 20 inches). The height of the light, in inches, should be between 2.5 to 3 times multiplied by the ceiling height (29.4 to 35.5 inches).

That said, when I tried to visualize using a measuring tape, I couldn't help but think - this light seems too big. Granted, I know people tend to err on the side of having a light that is too small for the room, but wondering if I am erring on the side of a light that is too big for the space.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)