SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapphires_gw

RECIPE: Sweetend, unsweetend coconut question..

sapphires
20 years ago

Hi,

My cookie recipe calls for unsweetend coconut. Three stores in my area didn't have, so hubby gotten sweetend coconut. Can I use this? What if any difference would it make in the cookies. Help!!!!! Thanks.

Sapphires

Comments (6)

• lorijean44
    20 years ago

What kind of cookies are you making, Sapphires? It probably won't matter too much, but you may have to reduce the amount of sugar you use.

Lori

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I agree with Lori it probably won't make much of a difference. According to the site below they suggest soaking the sweetened coconut in 1/2 water & 1/2 milk in the refrigerator to remove the sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to Substitutions

• sapphires
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Lori,
    I am just making coconut butter cookies, my recipe calls for 3/4 C sugar. If I have to reduce sugar what would be your or anyone else's suggestions in the reduction? Or would I not need to reduce the sugar amount? The recipe also says (toasted coconut) but I was thinking if I toast the coconut first and then bake the cookies, the coconut would just get darker. What are your thoughts on that? It's been awhile since I made these and can't remember if I toasted the coconut first or not. I would prefer to cut out that step since I have so much to do with other things.

Ginger,
    Thanks for the link you provided, I have it bookmarked. If it really matters that the coconut be unsweetend then I will do as your link suggested.

Thanks to both of you, anxiously awaiting your replies.
    Sapphires

• notenoughroses
    20 years ago

I have bought unsweetened coconut at health food stores - don't think regular stores carry it, probably for good reason. Unsweetened coconut tastes terrible, in my opinion. It needs all the sugar, butter and flavorings of a recipe to make it palatable. After trying unsweetened, you will notice that 'regular' coconut is very, very sugary. ~ Suzie

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

My guess would be for a cookie or other sweet it probably won't make a lot of difference but in a savory dish using sweetened coconut rather than unsweetened might make the taste come out wrong.

Sapphires, can't you soak the coconut for a while or at least rinse it then dry it? Toasting it only takes a brief time, too.

• lorijean44
    20 years ago

Sapphires, I'd go ahead and follow the recipe as written using the sweetened coconut. The sweetened coconut will probably toast a little quicker, so keep an eye on it (the sugar will make it toast quicker - that may be why the recipe recommends unsweetened). I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know!

Lori

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!