SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Taos Trip: Beautiful, Wonderful . . . & Food Poisoning

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

DH & I just got back from a long weekend in Taos. We ended up not skiing, despite 30" of new powder (up on the mountain) because I'd tripped and banged up my knee and shoulder a couple of days before. But, even with that we had a great time . . . that is, until the breakfast that gave me a fast and furious bout of food poisoning Sunday morning! Have you ever had food poisoning? I have twice before and, let me tell you, it knocks you on your bottom big time! All I can say is that I am so glad that DH is a family practice doc or I would have ended up in the local hospital.

Although I understand that for a restaurant to admit that they caused someone to get food poisoning from something that they served them, could open them up to one nasty law suite and also ruin their business for quite a while, it still made me feel kind of bad that they turned so cool and distant, totally denying that it was their fault when my DH went by a couple hours later to talk (discretely) to the manager about it. It was very obvious that it was their sausage that caused it. I was perfectly fine all the days before and all that morning before eating a late breakfast. I had not eaten or drunk anything but black coffee in the 14 hours before I arrived at the restaurant. 45 minutes after I finished, thankfully back in our hotel room (!!!), I became violently ill.

Anyhoo, we didn't make a huge deal about it as we felt that the restaurant was a good, reputable place and mine was hopefully just one isolated incident. We saw no reason to cause their business injury, especially in such a tough recession where people need their jobs. But, it did ruin the end of our trip, causing us to have to come home early, which was sad. Taos is such a great place to visit, no matter what season.

I'd hoped to take some pics of the town and sights to show you all, but got side-tracked with shopping and eating at other fantastic restaurants, Byzantium and Lambert's of Taos to name just two of them. The sky was clear and bright blue. The air was crisp, fresh & cold, but not terribly so. The mountains were topped with fresh snow. The shops were fun and we may have found the new sofa that we badly need for the family room at a great shop there. I'd be fretting a bit about possibly having put on a few pounds after all the great meals we had, except my food poisoning took care of that (LOL)!

If you ever get the chance, Taos is truly a wonderful place to vacation, whether you're there to ski, shop, white-water raft, hike, tour the sights (museums, art studios, galleries, etc) or eat. I'd suggest a little of everything!

Here's a pic I took of my DH outside one restaurant we ate lunch at. Just look at that view! He, on the other hand, was checking out those giant wind sculptures in the foreground. We almost came home with one.

Lynn

And yet one more beautiful Taos view:

Comments (19)