SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

It's December- How is your build progressing?

flgargoyle
13 years ago

November seemed to come and go awfully fast! Now we're staring down....The Holidays! It looks like our next-door neighbor will be back in their extensively rebuilt home in the next week or two. Who else is planning (or hoping) to be in by Christmas? New Year's? Please share your progress here!

Comments (49)

• sageabf
    13 years ago

It's coming along! We hope to be in by March or April. The second picture is updated showing painting the brick - they will have to tent soon as it's getting cold here in N.E. Ohio. And the third shows a better color representation of the brick, being painted in the back of the house.

• busymombuilder
    13 years ago

We are in the final throws of the build - move in date Dec 17!!!.
    I will be back later to post photos.
    Good luck to all this month

• Related Discussions

It's January 2011! How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi all -- bit of a newbie here. We have gotten our approvals from 3 village boards re: architectural and coastal review and environmental control (a fancy name for the tree police). We're waiting for our architect to finish our plans for submission to the building dept. I need the bldg inspector to sign off on the trees I've marked for removal which were previously approved. Unfortunately, every time I make an appointment to meet him at the site, we get a blizzard!! We're tentatively scheduled for this morning, but as of 10:30 a.m., I haven't heard from him. Whoa-ho, athensmomof3 -- if I'd seen your plan before now, I'd be having a serious redesign conversation with my architect. I absolutely LOVE that house!! How many square feet, and if you'd care to share, what do you think it's going to cost to build? We haven't gotten bids for anything other than tree removal, and even that is only one bid (snow keeping everyone offsite for now). I keep worrying that I won't be able to afford to build the house I've spent all these months planning and getting approvals for. long sign ... another sleepless night looming ....
    ...See More

It's December! How's your build progressing?

Q

Comments (53)
    gavr6, Thanks, We bought the plan from DreamHomeSource. We were extremely lucky to have picked the best builder in our part of the country. He is a licensed structural engineer and a licensed plumber. I would say he is also an architect(but not licensed) since he can draw and build anything we ask for and have the ability to afford. Our builder has been at the job site every work day, all day long since we started in August. This includes many Saturdays. He is very passionate about what he does and I believe he is truly a gifted artist. drjoann, I'm looking forward to seeing my progress too. Anyway, I think the doors are 8 foot. The walls are 12', Im not sure how high the vault and tunnel are. If you look at the first picture of the front of the house, the whole central section has 12' walls(dining room, living room, and den). The master bath also has 12' walls. The rest of the first floor has 10' walls except for my theater room which has 11' walls(We lowered the floor one foot so the front row seats will be lower than the back row). I'll post some more pics next month.
    ...See More

It's December, how is your build coming along?

Q

Comments (72)
    I am proud, thrilled and ecstatic to say I am DONE! Or as done as we are going to get for now, anyway. We have been working on this house for over 5 years and we have nearly moved in. No CO yet...we will get that next month. I still have lots of little things to do like touch-up the nail marks on the trim and building a chase around the range hood vent pipe, but other wise I am done with the main part of the house. The sunroom needs flooring and trim still and the master bedroom and bath is not even started yet (except for framing), but it is so nice that all the hard work has finally paid off and I have a beautiful home now.
    ...See More

It's December, how's your progress?

Q

Comments (3)
    Progress? Unfortunately all the projects we've started have come to a screeching halt for the holiday's. I'm ready to get the basement finished and start painting all that paneling! Robbi Good looking drywall work, though :-)
    ...See More
  • kathy193
    13 years ago

House started in August, finally closed in. (Betz design - Windward model)

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Sageabf- we are doing a cream colored painted brick too! Love it! What color are you using? We haven't picked one yet but we will have a limestone portico so it must compliment that and your color looks like it might!

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Also, would you mind sharing what brick you used? We haven't decided that either! I did notice you used gray grout which is what we have speced (apparently it is cheaper so that is why since we are painting it - who knew!)

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Good luck Busymom, you are finally there!!
    Sageabf, it will be great to see the painted brick finished, I love that look.
    Kahty, Looks like we started at a similar time and are in a very similar stage, it is fun to see it look more like a house, isn't it? What a great setting you have!

We are framed and the windows are in. It looks great, though there are several "I wish I had...." situations. Some of them I can still address, some are too late. So far I am still so excited every single time I drive out to check on progress. I am waiting for the problems to start (though we had plenty pre-building).

Our plumbers started today (I think) and the roofing will start next week. My pics are several days old, and the framers have since added some of the little roofing details. The stone guy starts next week... I have a very specific stone look in mind, and I am very worried about pulling it off!!! My inspiration is a house by Archer Buchanan Architects (Canary Cottage)... will link here and below.

http://www.archerbuchanan.com/portfolio.asp?iSection=1&iPortfolio=61

In my picture, you can see a sample of the stone --- I think the stone guy (who happens to be from Bucks County) did a great job figuring out the stone, but I am concerned that the "joints" might be a bit big.... I think getting the stone right is a huge variable! Any thoughts / impressions on the "sample board" my builder put up? The siding is a beaded smooth, and I am happy with it. The center body will be stone and the gables the hardi. You can see it in this first pic, the board in front of the house.....

Here are a couple of shots.....
    Front/ garage view

Rear porch view and basement walkout (there is a round part which is not framed yet)....and we have lots of grading to do here to fix the "swamp."

I am hoping to see pics from so many of you... athensmom, where are your pics? Kateskouros, how are those last details working out? Drjoann, how is the house now? And so many others.... I can't wait to see the progress!

Here is a link that might be useful: Archer Buchanan Architects

• sageabf
    13 years ago

Athensmomof3 - We used Boral brick and Boral pastelcote, Mist color, but the product and brick have been discontinued. According to Boral, it was too much of a niche market. The color is a little more beige-y than I hoped for, but much less beige than their "buff". There is a current post on painting brick on this forum and some discussion of a Sherwin Williams product, which may allow for some more color variations. Pastelcote only had 6 colors to choose from.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info - I was the one with the post :)

and mythreesonsnc - we are having MAJOR issues with the appraisal. Apparently, we should be able to build our house with the limestone portico, copper roofing, raised stone terrace and screened porch for 75.00 a square foot, even though the two comps in our actual subdivision (the only ones the appraiser considered that were even close to comps) were over 300 a square foot (and they are on single lots - we have two). At any rate, I hope to someday be posting pictures but we have a long way to go!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

It always seems the final stages take the longest. We have made lots of progress but our hopes of being in before Christmas are long gone. At least we'll be in within 6-8 weeks!
    Here are progress picture links:

Exterior in the back:

Master bedroom:

Kitchen cabinets:

Looking down from the loft into the great room:

Looking up to the loft from the great room:

• melaska
    13 years ago

swhite - WOW! What a beautiful house. I especially love the big window in your master BR. Is it custom? What brand are you using? I love the big one showing at the back, too.

How high is your great room ceiling? We're going to have high ceilings there as well so I'd like to get some perspective.

Looking forward to seeing finished pics :)

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Melaska--Thanks! We are chomping at the bit to get in there!
    They're all Andersen windows. Builder and I met with the Andersen representative at the local lumbar yard and they figured out the arch window, which was custom, but everything else was a size they offered. Now the trim around it was custom made and I'm sure that was a pretty penny.
    We have 9' ceilings downstairs and 8' ceiling upstairs and there's at least 1' in between the floors so I guess it's an 18' ceiling. We were just over there trying to figure out how high we want the ceiling fans and were discussing how in the world we're ever going to change the bulbs. I guess we won't use the lights as much as the fans so here's to hoping we won't have to change them that often! Lots of stuff going on in the next few weeks so I'll post more pictures later!

• melaska
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. When you say trim, do you mean the white trim? Is it wood or vinyl? So, the top arch is custom?

I think our highest point is between 20-22 ft - yikes! Our south wall will be all windows & I'd love something like what you have.

Looking forward to seeing more pics. Thanks! :)

• montanapacnw
    13 years ago

We didn't post our progress in November, because when we got back (did I mention that we'd been building from long distance?) we faced this:

As you can see, we lost the race with Mother Nature. Big time. We've been busy shoveling snow (DH has a nice new snowblower/tractor toy) and didn't have time to post updates. It has snowed and snowed and SNOWED!! But we feel it's better for us to do those things we know how to do (like snow removal) and let the GC and crew do those things we don't know how to do (like building our house!).

Here's a view of some of the front porch posts (reclaimed fir). Notice the snow flying nearly horizontally?

Meanwhile, we're the only ones hyperventilating about the lack of a roof over the great room - the crew is used to building under these conditions and actually made good progress last week. And remember, Christmas is just around the corner!

Stay warm! I envy all of you who are showing pictures of dry sites!

• melaska
    13 years ago

montana - I had to check twice to make sure I wasn't looking at pics taken in Alaska! BEAUTIFUL home! Oh, my...I would love to sit on that porch looking at those mountains. You are blessed!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Yes, the white trim. On the inside, the arch trim is MDF, I think and yes, on the inside it was custom. For the outside, the builder bought a sheet of PVC and had the siding guys make a template for it and cut it out. It's all painted too. If you look at the exterior picture, the little decorative pieces on each end of the roof are custom cut, by my builder, out of the same PVC sheet. I think he did such a great job! He calls them "monkey tails!"

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

busymom:
    your kitchen cabs are almost exactly what we are after, looks nice. Question: what is going over the osb around your island?

• bgirlies
    13 years ago

swhite10 your home looks great. Can I ask what stone you used on the back of the house?

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Bgirlies--Thanks! The stone is ElDorado Mountain Ledge in Sierra, dry stacked.

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

We are STILL having the plans drawn up, and think finally, after a long, frustrated email, the drafter may be on the same page. I know from past experiences of building that there is lots of things I need to have decided before we even start building, so we are finalizing windows, roofing and appliances & tub fixtures. I also started to get some pricing on my inset cabinets... gulp, very expensive! We have to make some of these decisions before hand as we are building on a slab, plumbing and electrical items need to be pretty darn close. We are still working on property stuff too.. hope all the permitting goes well once we submit it.. and no long delays because of some fl "wildlife habitat". We are building on 5.25 acres, and taking NO trees down, but we already have had to jump through some loops.

swhite10, love your home, can you tell me what you used on the exterior and the colors? Who made your cabinetry?

Montana.. INCREDIBLE view... just beautiful, I'm jealous!

mythreesonsnc, what can I say.. another beautiful house here! Can't wait to see inside pictures.. just LOVE the exterior!!

sageabf, wow.. that's a lot of brick! How big a house are you building?

Kathy, hummmm... Frank Betz happens to have some nice plans, and YOUR plan one one on my short list of 3! I love that plan and looking at it again.. makes me 2nd guess my plans!! LOL.. okay, need to stop agonizing over my decisions... can't wait to see your progress!

busymom, the home stretch is such a good place to be, seems very far away for me!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Tinker--exterior is CertainTeed pre-primed planks and shingle shake, Azek trim, and ElDorado stone Mountain Ledge in Sierra.
    Colors are BM Puritan Gray (shingles) and Boothbay Gray (planks).
    Those cabinets are custom made by a local cabinet guy. I got those cabinets, huge cabinets for master, girls' bathroom, laundry room, upstairs bathroom, and mudroom cubbies for 29K!! I can't wait until it's all installed and finished! I haven't seen any of the other cabinets because we're waiting for the other areas to be tiled, which starts tomorrow!

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

swhite, thanks for the color info, we are using the fiber boards and I'm thinking of doing what you did - get it primed and paint our own colors vs the pre finished colors. The colors look beautiful.. what is your trim color?

You have a FANTASTIC price on the cabinets!! I have been shopping around and so far, the least expensive price on JUST my kitchen is $29K.. I still need vanities, laundry and other cabinetry!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

My cousin, who is a realtor and was part of the Homebuilers Association where we live, has worked with lots of builders and he said they all recommend the pre-primed. The pre-painted is finicky--anything that dings it chips the paint (think hail) and when nailed, all of those nail holes have to be caulked and touched up anyway. I've seen REALLY bad caulking and touch up jobs so we thought it best to go with the pre-primed. That way, we had more flexibility with color choices! I originally wanted to do browns, but after seeing the pre-primed color, which is very similar to the planks, against the tree-lined horizon, I knew gray was the way to go!
    I feel very lucky that we're getting all of our cabinetry for that price! They are super high quality--dovetailed drawers and doors with mitered corners. Like I said, I can't wait to see all of it! He's done a great job so far and has been super helpful! Good luck with your search!

• busymombuilder
    13 years ago

lzerarc - The same stone that will be on the fireplace and on two columns in the dinning room will be on the base of the island. They are installing it today so I hope to be back with pics tomorrow.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Oh my, what fabulous homes. Our home will be quite modest in comparison, but it's just what I need at my age. Montana, your site is beyond breathtaking!! I'm drolling and feeling very homesick for Colorado.

We are finally at the framing stage. I drove out to the site this morning to see what was going on. Brrr..it is so cold. Everything looks great, but I am concerned that our bedroom is too small. I didn't want any dressers in the bedroom...I wanted a real dressing room. But it really feels small. Maybe it will feel larger when it's drywalled. We've built several custom homes, and I always feel this way during the framing stage.

The crew working in the snow.

Looking out the kitchen window.

Looking from the foyer through the great room. Back wall will be all windows.

• booboo60
    13 years ago

joyce,

Your house will be awesome!

• beware
    13 years ago

swhite, I saw your exterior pics in my own thread, and now see your lovely interior -- fantastic! I am also having the type of wainscoting you have in your great room (in my dining room). And I am having transoms off my foyer into the dining room and the living room -- love that!

• buckheadhillbilly
    13 years ago

Wow! Everybody's progress looks so great! I love seeing these houses progress each month. Sageabf, so elegant! Kathy, your view is fantastic. And Montana, talk about views! I think you're porta potty picture needs to be on a calendar. Love it! Mythreesonsnc, your house just nestles into the site. It's going to look like it has always been there. Joyce, your crew are real troopers! Can't wait to see your house progress!

I get to join the framing club this month and maybe even the snow club. It's cold here in Atlanta with snow flurries predicted for tomorrow. Here are a few shots I snapped today. It's starting to look like a house. There were so many workers there today it was hard to get a full shot of the front from the street (West elevation).

Here's the master suite that was hidden by the magnolia tree:

The North side with the lower drive to the garage and parking pavilion:

And from the backyard (East elevation):

This shot from one of the upstairs windows shows why our retaining walls were so crazy. The lot drops of from East to West and from South to North pretty dramatically.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Slightly off topic...we had a big snowstorm the last 24 hours. This picture give you an idea of the depth of the snow. It was halfway up the shovel handle, and DH had a heck of a time running the John Deere snowblower because the snow was deeper than the plow. Snow was ALOT deeper out in the middle of the driveway. Official depth is around 2 feet. Guess not much will be going on at the new house the next couple days.

{{gwi:1518672}}

Driveway posts are almost buried.
    {{gwi:1518674}}

• brickton
    13 years ago

All the cool kids are framing :) Who needs those finished stages with their fun paint colors, great trim and schnazzy fixtures? We have studs, plywood and tyvek!

Here is the front / north side of the house

Here is the west side with the walkout and the deck (to-be) above it.

Here is the south/back and east sides

Like Joyce we're also building a smaller house than many here, but it looks pretty darn gigantic to us right about now, particularly with our walkout / crazy big window basement.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Beautiful homes, everyone!!! I'm so jealous. We are still trying to sell our current home in order to begin the building process. All of your homes are so well suited to the lots you have chosen. When finished, they will seem as if they've always been there.

swhite, did I read in a thread that you are in central Va or am I mistaken? If so, do you mind sharing your cabinet maker?

Thanks,
    bren

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Bren--go on my page and send me an email--I think I'm set up. I'll send you the info there!

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

Busymom
    I really like your stone idea on the front of the island. Our house design has something very similar to that layout...large island overlooking the family room witha large stone fireplace. Your counters and cabinets are also nearly exactly what we have been looking at too!
    My wife would love your ideas...might have to steal them.

Question: What kind of windows did you go with? They look like fiberglass or vinyl.
    thanks and looks great!

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Hi swhite. Did you get my email? I sent it on Monday. You can email the info to me through my homepage.

I'd really appreciate having his name as well as your thoughts on the process....

Bren

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Bren--I sent 2 emails to your gmail account. You didn't get them? Email me your eaddress and I'll try again.

• billybaroo
    13 years ago

It's great looking at everyone's progress. It's great for ideas/inspiration, etc., and it also reminds me that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Looks like we've run into similar weather as others. After lucking out in November with record highs for our excavation, basement pouring, and backfill, we have just been slammed with snow and wind for the framers.

Anyway, these were from this morning. Garage will be framed tomorrow, and trusses will start to go up Monday. Very exciting.

View from drive:

Looking out master bedroom windows:

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Hey Billybaroo: Looks like we are at the same stage you are. And wicked cold and snowy here, too. 2 feet of snow this week, and -22 degrees one morning. Brrr! I feel badly for the crew working in these temps. They spent half a day just clearing snow. I thought I'd take them hot chocolate (maybe with Schnapps) tomorrow since I'm off.

We watched them put up the trusses with the crane last night. It was dark, and they used big floodlights. Was quite a sight. Things are going pretty quickly now.

• billybaroo
    13 years ago

Yeah, Joyce, looks like we're neck and neck. Hoping to be moved in by July 1, but my ice fishing gear is moving in this weekend.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

swhite....thanks so much. I don't have a gmail account. That's kinda strange. I just checked my profile and it shows my real email address. Anyway, I've emailed you my info. I'm sorry for the trouble.

• andreim
    13 years ago

We broke ground October 1 and survived a snowy November in Washington state. Our SIP walls are now up and looking forward to a giant concrete pour for 8 board formed concrete walls, then the roof the first week of January. We're getting there...

If you're interested, we also have a little blog at http://meadowhouse.wordpress.com

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

looks like an interest floor plan, and great to see SIPs getting used! Did you go with the 6" or the 8" walls?
    Are you doing a flatter SIPs roof too?

• stayn2busy
    13 years ago

Well after 17 months, we are finally getting ready to move in next week. I've not posted any pictures in a long time, so here goes a few.

Master Bath

Can't wait to relax in here with a good book

One of my favorite things... got the paper towel idea from someone on GW!

Dining room

Six foot fan, suspended 10ft down (and no wobble.. that was a huge relief)

• juniork
    13 years ago

I can't get it together enough to post a pix (still trying to get Christmas things completed!), but we've got paper on the roof, and windows are going in. I guess I still count as 'cool' cause we're still framing :), although they're starting plumbing and HVAC at the same time.

It's curious...many of the pictures show the Tyvek starting to go up already, before the roof is on. I don't think our guy is doing the Tyvek until after all the windows are in. Is it because we're in rainy weather and the framing has to dry out?

Anyway, your projects all look GREAT! I LOVE seeing the pictures in this thread!

• andreim
    13 years ago

@lzerarc, we're using 6' SIP walls and 12' roof panels, which will go up in a couple of weeks. Have you used SIPs too? Pretty slick stuff, although definitely more work (in our case) up front in terms of design, engineering, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meadow House

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

very cool blog, thanks for posting.
    I have spec'd SIPs on projects I have done in the past. I tend to go with the urethane ones as they have a higher R per inch. Plus they make them local, so it actually comes in slightly cheaper then EPS versions, especially when you factor in other additions such as window jamb extensions, etc. We can use a 4" wall and get an r-24. However all SIPs are great IMO.
    I have worked with R control however. They supply a lot of our projects with EPS foam for roofs and things like that.
    thanks for the post!

• sjsh_mom
    13 years ago

Just wanted to chime in. Looks like we are in the same state as many of those reporting in.

juniork-our GC is doing the same. We are finishing up with the framing, and roof, then the exterior walls are going up. Then the TYVEK. AS far as I can see, windows should go on AFTER the tyvek is applied. Here is a link:

http://www.napleslumber.com/catalogs/HTyvek-81994.pdf

My GC says that we will not be able to put down brick until the spring. Is it ok for them to still work on the inside? He says it is ok to continue to work on the interior of the house. Anyone else do this?

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    13 years ago

yes, many call tyvek or air barrier the "dry in" stage. As soon as that is done, windows (you are correct, tyvek and then windows, with taping and flashing around the windows) and roofing done (shingles, metal, whatever you chose) they can work on the inside with other RI (wiring, plumbing, hvac, etc). However they should not insulate or drywall, as moisture can still get in. I also do not agree with waiting until spring for brick. Contractors around here (Iowa) put up brick all year. It just costs more in the winter, something he most likely does not want to pay for...(providing brick shelter and temp. heat)

• robin0919
    13 years ago

Suggestion for the Jan thread. Can folks please post pictures that fit in the screen. Once someone posts a pic that is too large, then everyone has to scroll back and forth to read the rest of the thread. Keep the pics coming, everyone loves to see them!