SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindyloo123

Sock Puppets and Lying

cindyloo123
11 years ago

Re. sock puppets: I've owned and operated internet forums since 1998. When you have admin access, you can see various identifying information on each poster. It becomes very easy to see when one user is posting under more than one name. The worst offender I ever saw was posting under eight different names. Two and three names, were a fairly common occurrence.

I never heard anyone say they don't think using a sock puppet is the same as lying, until today. When you speak to people as someone other than the name they know you by, you are deceiving them. If that's not a lie I don't know what is.

It is very easy to find yourself legitimately registered under more than one account on any given website. I think I came here many years ago, registered but never posted, and probably left within a week. Maybe a few years later I came back and by then I had a different email address, so I registered again. And actually, I think I repeated the first incident, and ended up with a third account before I began posting. If I look hard enough, I can find the user names and passwords of the other accounts. But the main thing is, once I have introduced myself and actually interacted with other posters, I wouldn't use one of those old accounts to say something here.

It's an ethical thing and obviously others may have different attitudes about it.

Comments (33)

• ellendi
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is all very interesting to me. It is sad for me to think that someone would use an alias with the intention of saying something mean.
    People come and go on this site, but it is nice when you actually start to recognize people and get to know them. You then start to value their opinion and advise. And I do appreciate having a place to some to at all hours and be able to get support, ideas, opinions etc.
    That said, this is not real life, and the written word can sound different than the spoken word. I don't think we should take what goes on here too seriously.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

I think that there are many reasons for having more than one account. I've got at least 2 maybe 3. When I first registered, there was a shut down on GW of some sort and many of us had to start anew. Then a couple of years ago, I just got sick of my uncomplimentary screen name and started fresh, but never tried to cover up my identity. I was just reading faux's post about her new house and she says she used a new name because she didn't want the negativity of that post to affect our future advice to her - also seems legit to me.

To just start a new account to be able to voice opinions you don't want to come back to you, doesn't seem like fair play. It reminds me of the problems we have in school trying to deal with the anonymity kids feel they have on the internet to say and do things that they know are not right and wouldn't do without that false shield of facelessness.

• Related Discussions

Sock full of thistle missing overnight, how?

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for the input. I guess I won't know unless I try to put one up again and actually see them try to take it. I imagine that now that they have taken it once, they will be looking for it. We have a lot of grey squirrels. I would just be surprised because it has been up for months and they have ignored it, and I can't imagine them dragging it somewhere, I didn't find the empty sock anywhere, and it is white and would be noticable. I can see the squirrel nest in a London Plane Tree in the next yard and often see the squirrels on their way along the back fence up the tree. Too bad, the golden finches were SO enjoying the thistle. I haven't seen them since the thistle is gone. If I mix it in with the sunflower seed, will that still attract them? What is BOS? Adam
    ...See More

The Universal Alton Brown

Q

Comments (8)
    Full disclosure, Annie -- I've never tasted Kale. How sad is it that my son goes to college and comes home liking greens:) Is it normally sweet, or depends on temp/weather conditions? Btw, he said everyone looked pretty "fit":) Some interesting organic methods, I was interested in deer-proofing techniques, and he took some good-natured ribbing when he shared with the group that he was a ChemE major ... yep, surrounded by agricultural science/food science majors. Mustangs, I'm laughing. I will NEVER look at my kids' facebook pages. NEVER! but I figured a graded blog would be safe. Desperate measures:) Thanks for sharing in the fun. He forgot to take pictures - these are from website/sign me up: Cathy in SWPA
    ...See More

Can I use 'kitchen cotton' yarn for socks?

Q

Comments (20)
    Francy & Robin, please make sure you either knit LOOSELY or maybe use bigger needles to knit with the Cascade Fixation yarn. If you knit tightly with it, the socks will be too tight to wear. Ask me how I know!!!!! Had I made the socks looser, I think I would have liked them, as I did wear them a couple of times. But they were almost too tight, so I quit wearing them as my feet swell. I, personally, don't care to work with that yarn again. It might not be so bad now, as I have learned to knit a bit looser that I did when I made that pair using the Cascade Fixation. You have to remember the elastic in the yarn won't stretch anymore than it already has if you knit tightly. If the yarn is relaxed in the stitches, then the elastic will still stretch. Am I making sense? It's 10:30pm and I'm tired! Tami
    ...See More

Tree in a 'sock'?

Q

Comments (30)
    if you've gone to all the effort to plant a tree ... i dont understand why you wouldnt simply be done with the sock at planting ... its like doing 99.9% of the job properly .. and then not finishing it ... that said.. in my sand ... i HAVE TO plant in native soil ... or there is the possibility ... the the sand will wick moisture out of the peat media ... and once dry.. a peat based media can be very hard to impossible to rewet ... and if the plant does not grow out of the media part .. before this happens .... then it might die ... i would think its the same in clay ... with the highly divergent media ... if you have drainage problems in the clay.. a gob of peat isnt going to help drainage ... that said ... i i can also see if you were in wholesale production ... you might not bother removing it.. as a certain loss is expected ... and may or may not be assignable to the sock ... ken
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    11 years ago

While I agree with you about using an alias is "deceiving," I think I'm more shocked that you would begin a topic about this because *I* was the one who didn't see it as lying. Was this really necessary? Please remember, we are real people behind our screen names and it hurts badly when one of us (me) wakes up to our (my) first cup of coffee and see that we (I) have been singled out because of something we (I) disagreed with. Now it's easy to see why people do create new names.

BTW, I used to own a message board too, and it was fun deleting the aliases. I and the moderators called them aliases, but I guess sock puppet is the new moniker for them.

Again, I do consider it to be deceiving, and I guess maybe lying...by omission.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

If the alias is used only to stir the pot, or be mean, then I agree it's a deception : or sometimes it may be to redeem one self and start fresh ?

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Having multiple names does not a sock puppet make-- as Cindyloo, Mitch and others have mentioned, there are plenty of reasons to change user names.

Sock puppetry has a clear intent-- and it's despicable on all levels. At it's worst, it's in the realm of the internet terrorism of the Anonymous organization (read up on them if you arent familiar-- it's scary stuff).. or the smaller groups/individuals who get off on being nasty and causing mayhem. Sometimes their motives are political.. sometimes it's just about stirring up trouble.

If sock puppetry does go on here-- and based on a few posts I've read, i suspect it does-- then I suspect it's probably coming from a dark and unhealthy personal place. Jealousy? Retaliation? Who knows. Whether you'll acknowledge it publicly or not, we all know there are members here who infuse drama and start trouble out of nothing. Some have carried it off board into private emails. It's not a far stretch to imagine them also turning to sock puppetry. It would be sad if it weren't so invasive and infuriating.

So yes, I think it is deceptive.. lying.. and outrageous behavior. But that said, I am not going to spend energy trying to sniff them out. As I see it, it's their issue.. their mental health. I am not going to sully my world with their toxicity.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

If this is someone using an alias simply to voice this opinion, I can't say as I blame them for resorting to an alias. Not everyone is up for being flamed!

I don't find what they said to be "mean". It's a very general statement about how people behave on the internet, imo. I do think it's possible they don't understand constructive input, either, but there aren't any specifics to what type of comments they're referring to. Outside a decorating forum, it's considered rude to critique people's homes and decor.

Here it is:

"I have been a "lurker" for a long time and am amazed at the uncalled for, mean comments that show up when a poster asks for a comment on their decorating choices.

What purpose does it serve to slam another's decorating ideas?

If you don't like their choice, keep it to yourself."

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Funky, I think you are being way too harsh and I highly doubt this person is mentally ill or part of a terrorist group. Good grief! That's just beyond over the top. Maybe cut back on your caffeine, lol.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Snookums.. never did I say or think that I thought the OP of the other thread was a sock puppet. I dont. Never did.

THIS topic is on sock puppets in general as I understood it.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I feel terrible that you (Snookums) or anyone would think I was slamming the OP of the other thread. I am pretty damn direct-- so I'd have said that outright if that's what I meant.

If you check the other thread, I was the sole poster who stood up and called foul on all the posts that said everyone here and every post is supportive and constructive. At the time I posted, everyone was jumping on the OP for not being able to take constructive feedback. There absolutely are rude, unconstructive, uncalled for and plain old mean posts. I am not saying it's the norm or the tone of the board-- but they do exist and clearly one of them hit a nerve with the OP. I choose to ignore them for the most part but I do sometimes call them out. Just as I ignore and avoid those who try to spark drama.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I have to admit when I saw the title of this thread this morning I was totally confused. I had no idea what a child's toy had to do with lying! I had never heard of this phrase in terms of an alias. I learned something new today.

Since then I read the other thread and also the Wikipedia definition online. Fascinating!

"In 2007, the CEO of Whole Foods, John Mackey, was discovered to have posted as "Rahodeb" on the Yahoo Finance Message Board, extolling his own company and predicting a dire future for its rival, Wild Oats Markets, while concealing his relationship to both companies. Whole Foods argued that nothing that Mackey did broke the law.[19][6]" From Wikipedia.

Now, with that being said, I originally registered here as blsdgal when we began planning our new home 10 yrs ago. When I came back a couple of years ago, I couldn't remember my password.

Just wanted everyone to know that I am not a liar nor I am I using a sock puppet!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I'm so out of touch, I thought this was going to be a discussion about Shari Lewis and Lambchop.

And obviously I'm pretty naive because it has never occurred to me that people were masquerading with multiples user names here.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I don't think "Gran" would be considered a bonafide Sock Puppet. She obviously got hurt by something said to her and felt the need to lash out but under a different name.

True Sock Puppets post to start trouble, and I don't see Gran doing that. In fact, I don't recall seeing any sock puppet's here, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Funky, I silently agreed with you in the other thread. I'm still wondering why the OP of THIS thread felt the need to call me out just because we didn't see eye to eye on something minor. She may not have used my name, but I was the one she was referring to in her topic.

I also have to wonder why no one is sticking up for me? I think that's what bites the most.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I'll say it again, I dont see any evidence that the OP of the other thread was a sock puppet or alias. I dont know why you think it's so obvious that she is someone else. Why can't she be a "mostly lurker" who hit a limit and felt she needed to speak out?

As for sticking up for you. I think no one has jumped to defend you because no one sees this thread as the slap in your face that you do. The OP wanted to continue the discussion on sock puppets without hijacking the other thread. She has a different viewpoint than you do (as do I)-- no big deal. It's what generates interesting and lively discussions. It certainly isn't worth churning on... or spoiling your morning coffee.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I agree, Funky. Well put.

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakley this thread has nothing at all to do with you. As funky pointed out, I thought the topic of sock puppets deserved it's own thread, because it was clear that some people knew nothing about the practice.

I also knew that somewhere in that other thread, at least one person said she didn't feel it was the same as lying. I didn't know or care who said it.

I don't know one poster here from another. If you asked me to attach a personality to any given name, I could not do it. Within a given thread, to refer back to an individual's post by name, I have to go back and find the name. Once I'm out of that thread, I don't remember a single thing about WHO said what in the thread.

Next week I will remember the subject of Gran8's thread. I will remember certain posts that made an impression on me, but I won't remember that Gran8 was the OP and I won't remember who wrote the memorable posts.

That opinion that having a sock puppet was not the same as lying, was a first in my experience. In every community I've ever visited, it is considered deplorable and it's the one thing that is likely to lead to other people asking the offender to leave. I was interested in finding out what the rest of this particular community thought about it, because I can easily see how it could be considered an acceptable behavior in some groups.

Each community tends to create it's own ethical code. Some behaviors that are acceptable, even encouraged in one community, are considered abhorrent elsewhere. I don't think anyone has ever figured out which ethics are more commonly held across the net and I find the differences fascinating.

So you see, there was nothing personal about this thread. I don't understand why you would be bothered to find out that someone else has an opinion different than yours. If every single member of GW came on here and told me they agree with you that sock puppets should not be called liars, that would be fine with me. They are ALL entitled to their opinions, as I am entitled to mine.

It's all about having the courage of your convictions.

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

“Sock Puppet” is not a new term. It has been around for more than a decade.

Sometimes people don’t want to own their past and they abandon one screen name to start over with another WITHOUT telling everyone they are making the change. This is not sock puppetry but I think it’s despicable. To pull it off they have to lie to everyone else about who the new personality is.

The example of the CEO was not sock puppetry either. That CEO was exercising his right to be anonymous. Unless that CEO was deceitful about his real life connection to the subject matter, I don’t see anything wrong with what he did.

Sock puppetry involves one person appearing under different names simultaneously. Think Shari Lewis weighing in on an issue as herself first, then using lamb chops to support her opinion. She gets credit for two opinions instead of one.

Puppets can be used to start trouble. They can be used for serious skullduggery. People will invent a new forum member, have that member befriend someone privately, and try to find out what that new friend is saying about the original poster behind her back.

But puppets are often used strictly as a defensive measure. Some people use them to deliver a message that might prove controversial. It is a back stabbing cowardly maneuver. If you can’t take criticism it’s not fair for you to dish it out to others. Besides that, unless the owner has taken the time to establish that alternate personality in the forum, it’s opinion carries very little weight.

Sometimes people use puppets to level a playing field on a forum. There are people that feel overwhelmed if numerous others disagree with them. There could be a group of ten allies that always support each other’s posts and the loner can’t take it. The loner might invent ten loyal allies of his own, hoping his opinions will carry more weight that way.

I am not accusing Gran8 of being a puppet. Although the red flags are there, they are not conclusive. And FWIW the part of that post that I felt crossed the line was the edict, “If you don't like their choice, keep it to yourself."

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I posted this on the other thread - gran8 registered October 08, 2005. (altho I may have typed 2006 in error). As far as I can tell, there is no way to change your user name using that old registration. So it appears she was truthful about being a long time lurker.

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know it's confusing Olychick. We are not saying people make changes to a registered account. We are saying, people register more than once, using different email accounts. They select a different user name with each registration whether they want to or not, because the system won't allow two users to have the same name. Voila', they are now here under two different names.

As I said, I think I have two never before used accounts here. If I needed a sock puppet with some "cred", lol, I could start posting under one or both of those accounts.

It is also possible that a longtime lurker really did post for the first time ever, just to tell us all how to behave.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

Whether gran8 is posting for the first time or not, I personally don't find that any more troubling than those who think it within their right to tell him/her how to behave.

I don't know that I can ascribe motives to people I know and love, much less than to anonymous contributors on these types of forums. While each of us are entitled to interpret, explain and defend whatever position we choose, if others don't like it, does it really matter? Certainly not to me, although I have no problem stating when I find opinions tossed about to be less than constructive. That does not mean that I withhold my negative opinion in a decorating thread when clearly the OP asks for advice, but I hope to offer it as another view without being mean. They either accept or reject other perspectives as clearly they should.

Sometimes though the comments get snarky about someone's home, more so recently than in the past though I don't go back as far as many. I try not to vent my feelings when I find something disturbing, though now and then I will express how tiresome the pettiness is. Yes, that shows I too can be petty in focusing on behavior that is truly not significant to me.

As far as aliases, I find it odd that anyone would assume that sometimes the same computer cannot be used by more than one person, both in a work or residential setting. I also find it odd that anyone would care if the same person posts under a different name for whatever reason. There are other sites where it seems that unstable people instigate conflict, lash out by putting others down as if they are the only arbiter and/or resort to vulgar language, but I steer clear of those forums.

Of course, those of us who have been here for a while tend to notice who is typically more negative, or more pretentious, or more myopic about his/her supposedly refined tastes, or uber sensitive and inclined to attack. I have read about the occasional personal email nonsense, but again, this is an internet board and does not intrude on my personal life. If I notice someone exhibiting traits that I prefer not to deal with, it's simple enough to ignore them. By the same token, if I express an opinion that others disagree with that's perfectly fine if they let me know. Usually, I try to focus on an issue and not an individual, but if on occasion I tick someone off and they call me on it, that's ok with me regardless if I think their opinion is an accurate assessment or based on misunderstanding of the issue at hand.

I can't go so far as to say so-called sock-pockets are unethical or liars as that's too broad a stroke for me. In the case cited by Wiki on the CEO's supposed attempts to anonymously denigrate a competitor, I do think that type of behavior is unethical as there are potentially stock consequences. This is similar to using aliases to defame rivals or drum up support or undeserved praise for one's own work, whether intellectual or real property. Although done by many famous people, IMO it is not ethical.

Perhaps I haven't paid attention as I come and go as a poster depending on how much time I choose to devote to fluff instead of my real life, but I haven't seen a lot of negativity on this site. The regular posters for the most part are caring, helpful and gracious. If some of the newer posters are snarky or downright vicious, I ignore it as that type of behavior simply reflects on the poster. Life's too short and too fulfilling to clutter up with negativity. I hope to support not only specific persons however and wherever we intersect -- but only if that is in keeping with the common good -- and to be as much of a healing force as I can muster. Those who aren't on the same page simply will not be in sync. That's just the way it is.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Sorry for the confusion then. When I saw where you wrote, "I never heard anyone say they don't think using a sock puppet is the same as lying, until today." That was me you were referring to so you can see why I questioned your intentions of starting a new thread about me disagreeing.

Cindy, I agree with you that sock puppet's or using a different alias has been around since the beginning of message boards. I've been on message boards since 1991, beginning with "Prodigy." Back then we had to use our real name, so everyone behaved. lol

Funky, I'm not putting down Gran, but if she was just a lurker for ALL these years, she'd come back and defend herself, don't you think? Why do a hit and run topic unless she's hiding behind a different screen name? It's more common than you think. And really, who lurks for years and only does one post on a topic like that?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"Back then we had to use our real name, so everyone behaved. lol"

Really, we are all sock puppets.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Oak, you were hurt earlier today about something that wasn't even directed at you. The OP of the other thread was slammed and most of the comments were directed at her. Of course she'd have been intimidated to respond... how could she not be?

Thank you AB.. as always I appreciate your healthy and rational perspective.

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

One of the points in the Terms of Service for Gardenweb is that "You agree not to create multiple memberships and/or memberships for another individual." I haven't read all of the posts so perhaps this has been mentioned. Those of us who value the website and the dedication of the webmasters will respect the site's terms. Obviously it's being done by some and there are occasional legitimate reasons for doing so (lost password or change of email) but there's no excuse to have two run simultaneously- that's like playing Jekyl and Hyde. And as someone mentioned its enjoyable to follow the user/poster comments that create a forum personality without actually knowing the person.

As far as using an alias to post disrespectful comments....this reminds me of the George Bernard Shaw quote: "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." So if someone makes rude remarks in person or in a forum post just brush it off and think of the other person as a pig and don't wrestle. Works for me.

• User
    11 years ago

Sock puppetry? Does anyone else think there's a whole lot of over-analyzing going on?

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the misunderstanding Oak. I absolutely see how you probably thought I was trying to take a "vote" to show you just how wrong your opinion was. But no, I just wanted to hear the views of the people here on sock puppets!

This is the most polite forum I've ever seen. I think any use of puppets here must be very rare.

With all this talk about the puppets, the truth is that they don't work out very well, lol. Many people have a "tell" in their writing style. Others, get confused and forget which account they are working in, signing the wrong name to their post and giving themselves away.

Hilltop thanks for that TOS info!

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Also, not to make light of anyone's opinions, but I've been around long enough to recognize the pattern of a big brouhaha (altho this is a pretty small, big brouhaha) happening on this and other forums every year at this time. Others have speculated that it is because of the impending spring after a long winter of being trapped indoors.

Sometimes it's nice to be predictable - reminds you were all human.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'm out of the 'internet loop' completely! Have never heard of the term sock puppet and could only think of Lambchop.

I know people do take on another 'persona' and recreate themselves, but that's a coward's way out IMO. I would wager to say IRL, gran8 has a problem with face-to-face confrontation, and therefor isn't about to divulge who she/he is.

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty I'm pretty sure the term is a reference to Lambchop.

The earliest group of internet settlers were very bright and I always get a kick out of the clever new terms they were forced to invent.

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Forced to invent? Forced? Were there guns to their heads?

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LMAO, I don't believe any guns were involved, though the internet was the wild west back in those days.

Like most words, "force" has more than one definition. Please see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dictionary

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Tempest in a teapot. The whole thing.

• betsyhac
    11 years ago

So, Cindyloo, is this post directed at Gran, as others have suggested? And, if not, to whom? Surely you don't expect us to believe that you woke up one day and decided, out of the blue, to write the original post to be lighthearted and informative?

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Betsy, this thread was not directed at anyone. The subject of sock puppets came up in another thread.

In the other thread, I could see that some GW members have never heard of sock puppets or even the practice itself.

The sociology of the internet has always fascinated me. There are ethical dilemmas here that do not come up anywhere else. I've enjoyed watching the social mores develop and I appreciate everyone's opinion on that topic.

By writing this, " Surely you don't expect us to believe...", aren't you implying I have some hidden motive for this thread? Are you saying I have been less than honest? If so, it seems your post to me was intended more to cause a problem than to solve one. What's up with that?