SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmwright

Are these bedrooms too small?

lmwright
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted two versions of our floor plan a while back and got some helpful feedback. Here is the link to that thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0812182218742.html

We have decided (I think!) to go with the first plan, with the kitchen in the great room rather than to the side. We have selected this plan for two reasons: 1) because we entertain a lot and like the set-up with the kitchen/dining/living all together and adjoining the porch leading to the pool and what will be a bbq area; and 2) because we had to give up a large playroom that was originally below the children's bedrooms (which will be built on a half-story) to keep costs down. We have increased the size of the media room slightly.

So...our architect has been tinkering and this is the new floor plan for the kids' rooms -- both boys. Because of the shape of the house (which we really like) there is limited space in this wing so they will have to share a bath. That is okay with them though I am not sure about resale in our area -- most people prefer small ensuites for kids' rooms where we live. I am not wild about the placement of the window seat and he has made the room at the end of the wing smaller than it was (I assume so they are equal in size) -- we didn't ask for that. He has also built in the study nooks, which I guess makes sense with the WICs there. But...there is not much room to play here. No playroom plus small bedrooms makes me worry! There is the "media room" in the plan which will be a place for them to play, and the space below these rooms will be open patio space with fans etc. so they can play there too. What do you think, gardenwebbers? Are these bedrooms too small?

At one point we considered moving the kids' rooms upstairs and using this wing for the master, which we saw in a Southern Living plan -- link below.

The architect talked us out of it and anyway we were unsure how to fit in an entry to the master if it was on the half story with the stair tower at the front.

Sigh...I am getting tired of looking at this plan! Any and all advice/hints/tips/guidance/criticism welcome...please help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living Palm Garden Retreat

Comments (5)