SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will2kz_gw

Thermador Pro Grand Steam 48 vs Capital Culinarian 48

will2kz
11 years ago

Hi, long time lurker, first post.

So my wife has finally caved and we are going all out on a new kitchen. We had a reasonably nice kitchen in our last place, and our new, bigger, house has a miserable kitchen and a ridiculous Jenn-Air range that may be the biggest POC I've ever cooked on.

Anyway I was set on Culinarian for about the past year thanks to your forum. I liked the idea of a powerful burner with an infinite range and the really nice broiler. I also felt I would use the indoor grill and griddle quite a bit as I grill 2-3 times a week in the summer, but Minnesota doesn't let me do that in the winter.

I was looking for refrigerators (going Thermador Towers) and saw the new Thermador Pro Grand Steam model gleaming on the floor. Yes this is not the same as a Culinarian, closed burners, electric ovens, steam oven, and an electric griddle. It almost couldn't get more different. BUT it is elegant. The fit and finish on this beauty is another notch above the Culinarian, and two above Bluestar (yes I have looked, handled, dismantled all three now).
So here are my thoughts on the two - chime in as you will.

Burners- The Thermador has 5 18,000 BTU star burners and a 22,000 BTU burner. These are sealed burners yes, and I know someone will tell me they won't be as even, or as efficient as an open burner. The have a brass base and are elevated off the ceramic surface for easier cleaning beneath. Each cast iron grate lifts off (one grate per two burners) and is flat (ie no tipping small pans). It has a true 100 deg simmer, and yes it cycles on and off to pull this off, but it works. I don't know why I would need more than one ultra high heat burner (pay attention to more than one?), but I can see needing more than one simmer burner.

Grill Griddle - This is sort of apples and oranges. The griddle plate is about the same size, but is made of a nonstick titanium surface that is impenetrable to steel utensils. I worry it won't brown like stainless, but it also will lift better with less fat. The one advantage it does have over stainless is you can lift it out and wash it in sink. The grill is not a grill, but a grill plate you put in place of the griddle. Yes they power both with an electric element that claims a temp up to 500. Its not really a comparison to a gas grill, but a heck of a lot less messy if you are trying to throw "lines" on something quick.

Ovens - The main oven is an electric convection that is quite large with three FULL EXTENSION, ball bearing gliding racks. They are the best racks I've yet encountered on an oven. The broiler runs the width of the oven, but again, is electric. The oven door is way nicer than the Culi, and is solid glass on the inside, soft open, soft close, very slick.
The second oven is not a useless accessory oven but a steam oven with full convection heating as well. They make a wall oven with this and it falls between the Miele (steam only, no convection) and the Gaggeneu (graded steam and convection). It makes this useless duplicate oven useful in my mind as I rarely need to "bake" two separate things with traditional baking. I also have a speed oven and a counter top toaster oven if I really need another warm place for a casserole).
Warming draw - yup, the Thermador has simple three heat warming drawer below the steam oven, also with a silent close drawer. Will never find this on a Capital.

The lighting (LED downlights on all knobs), solid stainless dials, and cook-modes (particularly for the steam oven) make this an attractive package that lists for around $3K more than the culinarian. As it is duel fuel AND a steam oven this seems to be a reasonable price uptick.

Now the real reason I am actually considering this is I had already decided on the Thermador towers. And if you buy the 48inch Pro Steam oven, you get a free Sapphire Diswasher (second from the top version of their DW's - $1800), and if you also buy the refrigerators, you get a free Thermador hood, any one you want.

If I stuck with the culinarian and got my fridge towers out of the package, a similarly priced setup would run me $2000 MORE even though the thermador range is $3000 more than the Culi.

So am I crazy to consider this? Yes I am privy to some bad Thermador experiences with ovens, but since Bosch has bought them, they have really upped the ante in my mind. I can give my thoughts on the Thermador Fridges versus Subzero too in another post, but lets focus on the ranges today.

Comments (10)