SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

What do you think of the Mason Jar trend?

neetsiepie
11 years ago

Looking up ideas for DD's wedding, it seems that mason jar decor is the trend of the year. It's all over Pinterest, and those Hillbilly Wineglasses (mason jars glued to candlesticks) are big sellers at craft shows.

Personally, I just don't see it. There is a restaurant we frequent that will serve your non-alcoholic beverage in mason jars-bugs me so much I order a beer!

So do you decorate with Mason jars? What do you think of them in decor?

Comments (56)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I have over 100 mason jars...in laws used to can all the time and would love to come up with a good use for them. I have used them as candle holders on the patio in the summer with sand in the bottom and a votive...or for the holidays with epsom salts in the bottom and a votive. I have used a number of them for storing dry foods such as beans and lentils in my lazy susan, but would love to find another use for them....

But certainly not glued to candlesticks! Ick.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Daisys in Mason jars on a picnic table don't bother me.

Those 'redneck wine glasses' should only be in a room that has a talking fish on the wall.

ML

• Related Discussions

Mason jar

Q

Comments (4)
    Really? because its actually growing better then it was. leaves are sprouting everywhere. when it was in the pot it wasn't growing at all and i was having different problems (bugs and yellow brown spots on the leaves). but i do understand what you are saying. the glass would enhance the sunlight. i live in Indiana, dang near close to Chicago and this weather has been really trippy. Sometimes sunny, sometimes not. i don't water it too much because i know of the problems with the drainage. i put rocks at the bottom also. i actually got freaked out when i seen the roots were white. i thought something was wrong with it. (used to seeing brown roots) but i know i have to change it because its not really good for the tree. another question i wanted to ask, what kind of fertilizer should i use?
    ...See More

What do you think the new trend in kitchens will be?

Q

Comments (26)
    Technology is opening some new doors. We can get backsplashes now that are customized with glass molded to order, or pictures we supply. This could explode into a whole new genre of customized surfaces. Kitchens today are surprisingly uniform - cherry/ss/granite/tumbled stone. It's time for a lot more uniqueness. First only the rich will do it, because it isn't very easy to sell a house with a backsplash of tiles that have your grandkids faces. It's going to take time to work out the possibilities, but I think it will spread. Kitchens will get a lot more interesting in personal ways, which will help offset the environmental and economic changes that are coming. Peak oil is going to make shipping granite and exotic timber really expensive sooner than we think. Counters from recycled glass or paper (Richlite) will become a requirement for the thinking and caring homeowner. True linoleum will look smart, wood will look wasteful. In the suburbs, we'll all need bigger pantries because we won't be able to afford to drive to the grocery store very often. We'll all be discussing ways to replace xenon/halogen/incandescent with LEDs and fluorescent. Sinks will evolve to accommodate water shortages and our big old farm sinks will look wasteful. The boomers are starting to downsize into smaller urban dwellings. Right now my KD friend at Lowe's tells me that the big lavish kitchens with lots of fancy woodwork are in the many suburban 'starter castles' that have sprung up recently. The focus is going to change to what urban Lowe's sell - smaller, more contemporary or sleek kitchens, or smaller kitchens that match the urban house's style - which is seldom French Provincial Grande, around here at least.
    ...See More

Mason Jar Oil Lamps..help!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Marsha, When you use the lamp oil make sure it is ultra-pure. It cost more, but it is smokeless and odorless. I get my wicks at Hobby Lobby. That's the only place in my area I have found them. My wicks are 5" long with the glass holder. They do have some that are longer. The ones I buy are .99. I have made a lot of these for gifts. I like making fall ones. I've used Pottpouri, small pine cones, chunks of corn, fall leaves, small plastic gourds and rose hips. Then I tie homespun material arond the lid and add a rusty star, pumpkin, or heart with some rusty wire. Good Luck, Cheri
    ...See More

Old blue ball mason jars

Q

Comments (11)
    I also have several of those old blue jars, but they aren't rare, most are just old. There are a few notable exceptions, like the "upside down" jar. If you can find someone to give you money for them, sell them, they are easily replaceable, although the pints are more rare than the quarts and yours do seem to be in very good shape. There's some kind of "swap meet" annually, I think in Indiana, so there are probably more throughout the country. I know there are often specimens for sale on ebay, although "being for sale" and actually being sold are vastly different. I do use mine for storage of things like rice, beans, dehydrated onions and garlic, wheat berries, quinoa. They are easier than keeping half a bag of rice or an opened box of quinoa, I can see the contents and it's easy to pour from them. Plus it looks tidier on the shelf. I don't can with them or freeze them, I use them strictly for dry storage. I have a vast collection of old jars and have no idea what they are worth. I have Atlas and Mom's, Ball and Kerr, Presto and Magic Button. I have an old Corona jar with the glass insert and metal ring. The real worth in those jars is the interest it sparks in my Grandson, he spends hours on the internet (thus staying out of trouble), looking for information on all those jars, LOL. Annie
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like them but use them only for storage and as ML says, daisies on a picnic table.
    Haven't seen the hillbilly wineglass before, but I imagine it's just capturing the current upsurge of redneck lore, i.e. swamp people, duck dynasty, so it's catchy/ironic.

I have seen some mason jar chandeliers that were well done and in the right setting would be nice.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Those candlesticks are a design atrocity.

Misusing Mason jars was cute when a local barbecue joint started serving iced tea out of them--in 1987. Now that they appear as everything from fairy lights to terraria to kitchen pendants, you might as well bring out the geese wearing scarves.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

The candlesticks are horrid, imo.

Baby J's first birthday party was sock monkey themed. DD2 used small mason jars for drinks (mostly adults attended) and had striped straws. No one complained, but they were new jars. She bought regular jars, not the drinking jars with handles.

There are SO many other things that could be done for a wedding besides the above.

I have a Mason jar soap dispense in the kitchen. The jar is vintage, so pretty color. I was so tired of refilling the dispenser we had, so I bit the dust. It does hold a LOT of soap! I have 3 old jars in a wooden container (laundry room) with towels in another part of the container, but I had those before they became trendy.

I don't care much for the mason jar light fixtures, chandeliers or wall sconces.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I think they're wonderful like this:
    {{gwi:1494657}}

or this:
    {{gwi:1494658}}

Like this? Eh, not so much:

I first saw "The Redneck Wine Glass" over two years ago, and it was amusing for about 30 seconds.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I recently saw them used as a chandelier in a way that they were attached to a grapevine wreath and filled with candles. It's hung in a covered porch of a hundred year old building used for rustic events. It looked perfect.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Sunny, one of my kitchen shelves have the large mason jars full of last summer's veggies. The carrots really add extra color. lol.

Allison, I finally had to throw my mason jar dispenser away a few months ago, and I loved it. I need to find a new lid somewhere. I kept Dawn in it for fast pan washing. Very convenient.

Annie, I never thought about putting votives in the jars. Is there another kind of filler for the bottom to set the votive on? They'd look great all lit up on the mantel, or sitting outdoors.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

If someone (not just Pesky & daughter) is looking for ideas for a wedding, isn't it already an overdone idea by the time you find it on Pinterest? I'm not being facetious, I'm just wondering if that is how others view it, too.

I know it's hard to be unique and creative and truly have a one-of-a-kind event, and I don't think everyone has to a o-o-a-k event, but isn't pinterest the epitome of trendy?

That certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't use ideas found there, I don't hesitate to say I would use an idea from there, but know that it's trendy. And maybe that's the goal, which is great.

Re: mason jars
    I think if a person happens to own them and uses them for casual flower arrangements, that make sense and looks cute in the right setting.

The mason wineglasses are beyond tacky.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

My oldest got married 2 yrs ago and she wanted everything simple. Direct orders were "No bling Mom". And she meant it. She was old enough to know exactly what she wanted.

We found Old Mason jars that had been in someone's basement for years. Took me days to get them cleaned up. They were taken to the florist for the center pieces. We purchased small mason jars at Rural King for water glasses.

I found a gal on Etsy that made all of my napkins for a little more than rentals would have been.

I wanted to add more color but dd was adamant about the tables being simple.

This was so fun. I get to do it again someday. Have fun and don't get too stressed. Let the small things go and remember it doesn't have to be perfect to be perfect for her.

{{gwi:1494660}}

{{gwi:1494664}}hotos" />

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm helping my future SIL plan her wedding, and we've got a Pinterest board going. Yes, what we find there is very trendy, and some of the ideas are cute, while others seem like they're trendy just for the sake of being trendy! ("How 'unique' can we be?")

Slightly OT, but I'm learning how far the wedding "industry" has come just in the past 10 to 15 years. It's an enormous business that veers into being a racket at times. My future SIL wants to have her hair styled a certain way. It's $300 to do so in preparation for a wedding. $35 to do so for any other occasion. (She won't be telling anyone at the salon that she's getting married!)

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Once again, Sunny, you explain it better than I did. Yes, some of the things are trendy for the sake of trendy. I think that is what I mean by being too trendy.

Red,
    Your daughter's wedding looks beautiful. But I would have used my husband's unused wine glass for my water glass since I wouldn't want to drink from a wide mouth jar. I don't even know the couple and I adore that first picture of her looking at him.

One of my sisters had an August reception. Peaches were in season. I friend picked peaches that morning, left some stem or leaf on each one, then tied little tags with a name & table number on it. It looked so pretty and fresh and seasonal.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I have seen the mason jars used in a few weddings we've attended - mainly casual or outdoor weddings. Dear friends of ours - their son married last summer and they used mason jars with wildflowers on the tables for the rehearsal dinner. They also used burlap in the decorations. As far as drinking out of them, no. I have some small ones that fit into brackets that slip into the lattice on my backyard arbor and love to use them at night with candles. I also have a couple of the old blue ones but I'm not using them anywhere right now.

tina

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Hhireneo--to be honest, not a lot of H2O consumed. But we went through a lot of apple cider martinis!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

> I'm learning how far the wedding "industry" has come just in the past 10 to 15 years. It's an enormous business that veers into being a racket at times.

It has been an enormous business for many years. And I will say that, speaking as someone who was a wedding musician for many years, there's a very good reason why everyone charges more for weddings and it's not "because they can."

People for other events do not take up a tenth the amount of your time that brides and their mothers do. It's as simple as that. If Mrs. Vanderbilt-Astor is giving a party, she tells you the time and the general type of music and you go and play the gig and that is that. One call to book, one call the week of to confirm, and you get to do what you do the way you know it works best.

Unlike the average bride who calls many, many times asking about this and that and can you play part of 'Everybody wants to be a Cat' followed by the middle part of "Set Fire to the Rain" followed by part of "It's a Small World" followed by... for the wedding party when they come in, and can you play that over the phone right now because I'm not sure how it's going to sound.

Weddings are much more work than any other kind of function for those involved because the clients are much more uncertain (or much more certain) about what they think they want. I've had brides call me every single day for a month or more with a new idea, suggestion, question. That just doesn't happen for any other kind of gig, and it's even more intense for the wedding planners and all. A wedding is a much bigger time commitment than any other kind of event, and very, very often you are working with clients who are completely unwilling to accept that your experience has given you some insight into what works well and what doesn't.

I've had brides and their mothers appear at my door and demand to go through my closet to choose what I will wear. Nobody for any other function has ever done that, except to say, "It's a black and white color scheme," or "It's the Hat Ball, so could you please wear some kind of a hat," or something like that.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Sunny,

Living in a small town has its advantages. Can't even imagine 300 dollars for a hairdo.

The day before the wedding dd and her bridesmaids did a "spa day". They all went to the same shop that did their hair the day of the wedding and everyone got manis, pedis, and/or facials. Lots of fun.

In our smallish town, it was very affordable.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Writersblock, my mother is a professional musician, so I do understand your comments. Oh, the horror stories I've heard throughout the years!

I do think, though, that there are those who upcharge "because they can", and I think the $300 vs. $35 hairdo fits that category. Granted, $300 likely includes arranging the veil or headpiece ... but to charge almost 10X more for doing so is ridiciulous, IMO.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Writers block--we had a string quartet called downstate strings for the wedding and the dinner hour. It was magical. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Kudos to you.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

About 30 years ago when as a kid we moved from OR to NC, we started eatint at Po Folks and they served iced tea in mason jars. It suited the restaurant and I liked it. I would love, love, love to find some of those old blue jars for me to use because I appreciate the beauty of what they are. If I had people coming over for a big party and did not have enough glasses, I could see pressing mason jars into service on that occasion (say a barbecue, not likely for a holiday party). I think the trend though of mason jars is rather ridiculous as it seems like pretending to be something that one is not. One should embrace themselves and be comfortable with that, so if you are a mason jar person, fabulous. But if you are really not, do not apologize and use what is more suited to yourself.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Pesky--if you are looking for ideas, here are a few.

Portraits of the parents and grandparents weddings and their wedding attire displayed ...if you have it available. Very fun, got a lot of laughs.

A memorial table.

My youngest daughter also did a video on her Mac set to music that was very moving. Pictures of dd and dh each growing up, then together. She showed it at the rehearsal dinner and on a loop in an indoor room at the wedding.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Very pretty, red lover.

DD2 had seen pictures of the bride and grooms parents from their wedding day and wanted to do something like that. Although his parents were divorced, mother remarried (birth father did not attend). So we did something similar but different - included wedding, siblings grouped together as children and young picture of bride and groom. We used scrapbook papers for background and attached them to another with ribbon (happened to be from PB gifts they received - perfect color). Then they were hanging behind the wedding favor table. I'll see if I can find pictures of both. Everyone enjoyed seeing the pictures.

but isn't pinterest the epitome of trendy?

For some things, yes, but others no. It depends on the person doing the pinning. If all you're seeing is trendy things pinned, you're following all the wrong people.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I don't follow anyone or have an account? a page? a whatever you call being on Pinterest. I only see Pinterest things when someone here or on some blogs link to it. So that explains why it seems trendy - the little bit I see or hear about is trendy.

The pictures from other weddings is a charming idea. It would be fun to see how the styles changed over the years.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I had no idea they were trendy...I've been using them all my life. I can in the pints and quarts, and keep dried beans, grains, and spices in them, to foil the vermin that we can't keep out of the house (living in the country).

I've had several sets of pretty drinking glasses, but they've all been broken. I finally resorted to using the pints as drinking glasses; when I hand a guest a glass of water in one, I usually say, "We're using the good crystal today." ;)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I forgot to address the OP. I wouldn't use the hillbilly version, but I would use the jars, new or vintage, as decor for an outdoor wedding/reception. Not as drinking glasses--but the little jelly jars would look cute filled with bird seed to shower the departing couple, or filled with candy/mints, as favors.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Mama_goose, if your house is the one I'm thinking of having seen in photos, the Mason jars are right at home there! Authentic, vintage, and perfectly adorable.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Here is how I use mine.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 17:29

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

They're not my thing, but I think they do have a place in decorating. Just not in my house. ;o)

• dedtired
    11 years ago

When we were in Paris we were served rice pudding in a mason jar. It was rather charming and it was the best rice pudding I ever had in my life.

I have a cute mason jar that is triangular shaped. I have it in a window sill with shells in it.

Here's the pudding we had at La Regalade:

• leafy02
    11 years ago

My husband grew up down South drinking his sweet tea out of Mason jars, jelly jars, or anything else that would hold liquid. To him, the idea that store-bought glasses are somehow better than jars seems like "putting on airs". He drinks out of the giant quart-sized jars all day, every day.

At the same time, I think he'd laugh at the idea of gluing jars onto candlesticks to make wineglasses. We do have wineglasses for wine and beer glasses for beer--jars are for tea, water, or flowers in our house. We also use them for storing leftovers, and in a power outage, we drop in tea light candles and voila--hurricane lamps :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and-a file gumbo
    'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
    Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-oh
    Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lovely wedding Red. This will be our second DD wedding...younger DD was married 3 1/2 years ago in a ballroom we transformed into a forest. Did some amazingly fun things for that one, and to this day, people say it was the best wedding they'd ever been to. They tell me we'll have a hard time topping that one. Well....I think I can come up with another just as awesome.

My friend makes the wineglasses & sells them in her BIL's wine store. She adds charms & beads and things and can't keep them in stock. Boggles my mind.

I see tutorials to tint them, people making all kinds of home decor things out of them. My Iowa farm wife grandmother canned, she loved to can meat, so quart sized mason jars always remind me of her canned meat lined, dark, musty basement.

• fully2
    11 years ago

Redneck wine glasses are 'out'. Replaced with red solo cup beer glasses glued to those same Dollar Store candlesticks. haha

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

Katy - LOL!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Pesky--thank you. My dd is the anti-bridezilla which made it a lot of fun.

We can always hope that the next dds will want to recycle some of the same stuff so that we can save some bucks. At least that is what I kind of hoped.

But my next dd is more of a "bling" kind of gal and I don't think she will go for the outdoor, simple, vintage style wedding.

The ballroom forest sounds beautiful. Would love to see a couple of pics. Would love to hear your ideas for the next wedding too.

Allison, thank you too. I would love to see your pics as well of the favor table setup that you described.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Dedtired..I have never seen a jar shaped like that and the pudding looks delicious. Lucky you. Would love to go to Paris someday.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Why do I have a feeling someone needs to check the GW FB page to see if this has been posted lol

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Red Lover, you WILL go to Paris one day! I can feel it in my bones.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Dedtired--yes, I will!

Until then, I have 4 basketball games to attend today ;-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Red and Ded, I have a pad of sticky notes on my desk at school and one here at home that says, "Paris is always a good idea." Audrey Hepburn

That gets me through the worst days-knowing I will be back soon!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Allison, thank you too. I would love to see your pics as well of the favor table setup that you described.

I will look for the disc of "the event" this afternoon. DD2 is no longer married, so that is how she references the occasion. She has no regrets, which is good.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I've blurred faces for obvious reasons. The were 4 rows of 3. I used our wedding, my parents wedding, his mom/step dad picture, DD2s engagement pictures, a single picture of her as a child, one of him as a child, and one of each of them with their siblings (no parents). Had to work around him not having grandparent wedding pictures and his dad not being in the picture. I printed the pictures at home, and tinted them - rather than have some color and some b/w. Wanted them all the same.

{{gwi:1494666}}

Sorry about the black frames - these were taken from the photographers website before the disk arrived, and were the first ones I came to when looking for pictures.

The card box had the green ribbon on it and so did the cake, although we furnished a piece of the PB ribbon to the bakery and she furnished the ribbon.

DD2 does not have the original picture she found for the idea - some wedding website. They were hanging on the wall behind gift table. Her event was in a large room with city views, so very little wall space, so they were clipped to the curtains that were closed on the back side of the building.

Here's the cake. It was so good. The baker uses European butter and chocolates. The flowers on the cake were copied from the flowers on the waist of her dress. You can see the vintage brooch pinned to the wrapped ribbon on her bouquet.

She grouped three different size vases on each table. Used single flowers in each. There were three different "sets."

Like Red Lover, we have the vases and candle votives to reuse or loan to friends.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I just saw this on Pinterest.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Coming from a long line of farmers who either canned their garden bounties or did without, I have lots of old blue jars passed down through the family. I use them for storage and what ever else I feel like. Old canning jars and large crocks represent my linage. I love the memories they bring. If you are going to drink from them, you need to use straws.

My family is all about the marriage. Weddings are simple with an emphases on celebration. Our family has gotten together and cooked the wedding meal. My wedding was a potluck. If people were too snobby to attend the beautiful celebration of our love, so be it. DH's Mom was alays horrified, much to my amusement. But look who is there for her now. I just have different priorities.

I'd rather give my kids a down payment on a house than spend the money on a fancy wedding. Music is the one big splurge. There can't be a party without great music.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I agree, golddust. I've never understood spending a ton of money on a wedding, Sweet 16, bar/bat mitzvah, etc. Personally, I would rather spend/give the money for something more permanent. DD2 already owns a house and car (completely debt free), so I gave her a budget and she stuck closely to it. Her wedding was small, but pretty. DH and I married at my parent's house (where I grew up) in a small ceremony with about 50 people. I don't regret not having a huge wedding at all, and we always told our children to not count on us paying for a lavish affair.

Like many things in life, less is more.

• kimberlyrkb
    11 years ago

I came across this on Craigslist today. While I love rustic and also like blue jars, this doesn't appeal to me at all. And I can't believe the price tag is $395!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodgy rustic lighting fixture

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Allison--oh, so creative and pretty. But, how did you blur the faces before you posted the pics? The wedding cake is beautiful too. My dd didn't want a wedding cake, no garter, didn't throw the bouquet...I could go on and on. I think the next dd may be more traditional.

As far as money goes. We gave dd a budget and whatever she didn't spend, she got to keep. Younger dd will get the same amount (with inflation). Nice weddings do not have to break the bank. Dd just wanted good food and good booze.

Love the bouquets in the square vases as well. And I really do like the Pinterest pic, but for just the right wedding.

Interesting that you and dh got married at your family home with 50 guest. DH and I had an inexpensive wedding and my dress was "off the rack". These girls do not do off the rack anymore. My, how things have changed.

Goldldust--your family sounds like my kind of life. I grew up on a farm as well. We are very "down to earth" and dd coming back from the city to our hometown to get married found it hard to understand why it was so hard to find a venue that did anything other than Buffett style. That's life in the country.

Kimberly --that thing is pug-ugly. It's an oxen-bow for Pete's sake with some junk attached. If they put it in an antique store somewhere, some poor guy will probably buy it and pay full price.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I uploaded to Photobucket and edited.

DD2 did not have a garter or throw the bouquet. I didn't either. We got the difference between our wedding and my older sister (who had a church wedding).

I paid $99 for my wedding dress (1981). It was on sale at a mall store. Locally owned, not a chain. Only wedding dress they had. No bridesmaids, but had my sister and two best friends serve.

DD2 sort of bought hers off the rack. Locally owned store, have "the dress" and not another one like it there. Various sizes, but still only one dress per store - like a sample sale? Don't know, since I've never been to a sample sale. lol She did have it fitted by seamstress in the shop, but that wasn't the expensive part. The dress was more than I had planned on spending, but I told her she'd need to find other areas to cut back on to cover the extra.

I gently tried to talk her out of the candy bar, but that's what she wanted to do. Most people took some home (the purple stacks are bags - we stamped with his last name initial). Everything leftover she took to work when she returned.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 14:43

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Allison--my dress wasn't much more than that in 1980.

I didn't know Photobucket allowed editing. I need to do my homework.

The "Candy Bar" is a great idea. We wanted to do it, but our venue wouldn't allow any outside food or drink. Ridiculous..huh.

The dress store you're talking about...we went to one like that in Chicago. Something "white" in the title I think. Booties at the door. One of each dress...fabulous dresses.. Cash and carry. Cool place.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have searched and searched for the pix of DD's wedding-I have scrapbooked them, so I KNOW they exist...just can't find them. I tried to scan the book she had made, but can't get that to work either. Sigh.

The wedding for DD1 is going to be lakeside (did I already tell this?) and much less fancy than her sisters. But a FUN party in any event. We're planning things like lawn Yahtzee, and instead of a guest book, we'll have a 'photobooth' where the guest can write a sentiment on a large card, then have their photo taken. The kids will always be able to put a face to the name.

I'm having it catered, it's just so much easier than trying to figure out the logistics of bringing in food. We might do huge bunches of lavender and tiny pots of succulents for the centerpieces. She's bought a bunch of paper lanterns that are battery powered, covered with orange & red cherry blossoms, and we're going to use a lot of bright orange, pink and purple-Indian colors. Her wedding will cost about 1/3 of her sisters, but that is mostly due to the different setting, number of guests and photographer. DD2's wedding had a premier DJ (best money spent EVER), pro photographer, and catering for 125 ppl. We spent a total of maybe $1000 for decor, flowers, favors, etc. Most was all done DIY, but it was fantastic. The owners of the ballroom had asked if they could have pix for their promotional materials!

As soon as I can figure out where those pix are, i'll post them. And start posting the ideas we have for this next wedding.

Oh, and by the way-that light fixture is hideous, IMHO.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

To my way of thinking, this is a trend to stay away from.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler