SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmmeaux

Please give me opinions on my contractor's dealings (very long)

bmmeaux
15 years ago

We are active duty military and will be getting out in June '09. Since we knew we would always go home to live we meet with a contractor about a year and a half ago in that area. We put a $2000 down deposit for him and the drafting of plans. I moved back home while my DH is deployed and I have been meeting with our contractor off and on since January to get the plans straight. We finally had our plans done and wanted to start building in October.

There was some problems with the loan going through in time so we pushed it back to November 3rd for the concrete pour. Well it rained a few times that week and the next. I called contractor around Thanksgiving and he said there was a problem with another slab that they just poured and it had to be redone (measurements wrong, done by concrete people). He asked me to be patient and he would let me know when we would get started. No big deal.

Well, I have not heard from him since then. I called twice and emailed Monday of this week and I still have not got a reply. I called a friend who has a mutal friend with the contractor. I heard from the mutal friend that the contractor does not have enough money to build my house. He has two speck homes to sell and he tried to mortgage his $400,000 and they would only give hime $25K. Because the economy sucks he and his wife both had to take jobs to support their family.

I am really sorry that he is caught up in the economy crunch and I do not have a problem with that. I do have a problem with him not telling me any of this. It has been months since he knew about his situation and I had to find out second hand what was going on.

So my question is... Would you trust someone like this to build your house? My husband and I both love his work on other houses and he is great to work with but I am so confused. We would like the house built by July 1st which is when my DH will be out of the military, so we are not in any hurry. Should we wait for him to get the funds? My DH wants him and thinks it will all work out.

We also have about $150K that we will put toward the house, should we let him know that and use it to get started?

Any help would be great. This is our first and forever home so we do not want to make a wrong move.

TIA,

Bec

Comments (15)