SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

I am a doofus - CL purchase gone wrong

kimberlyrkb
12 years ago

I recently purchased some really great, very comfy used Crate & Barrel chairs from a woman who has a design shop filled with cool used and re-purposed things in a town almost an hour from where I live. I had been on the lookout for a pair of matching chairs for some time now and was so happy to find these, partially because of the price.

When I read the ad, I was really excited, thinking I was getting these two chairs for $600 total. She also said she would make slipcovers for $25 each, if the buyer chose fabric from her stock. When I started to write the check, she said they were $499 each, not two for $600. I walked back over to the chairs to talk to my husband while the woman supposedly double checked her ad. We decided that since we had looked forever for chairs, and these were so nice we would go ahead and bite the bullet and buy them for $499 each. (I know - dumb to pay that much for used, but it still would cost more to buy new.) I wrote the check for $1198. (She had supposedly checked the ad and confirmed the $499/each price.)

One week later, I got on my iPad and went to my CL app, and lo and behold, found the ad for the chairs was still captured in the app. It said the chairs were $499 each or two for $800. I went to the internet explorer version of CL and found the ad had been deleted. But since I still had the original screen shot of the ad, I emailed explaining what had happened and called the shop owner several times but she didn't get back to me. (I did this in a very NON-confrontational way.) When I finally reached her, she stammered and stuttered and gave me some story about posting the chairs a few different ways and the price probably didn't translate from ad to ad. She said she'd look into it. I emailed her again tonight to ask her what she has found, but I'm sure she's done nothing.

It's been 3 weeks now since I bought the chairs and I want my $198 back! I know I goofed up and this is partially my fault, so I'm willing to take some responsibility, like maybe split the difference or take the money back in store credit or whatever else she may have to suggest. Heck, I'd even take a couple of sets of slipcovers and ask her to throw in the pattern for them and consider it done.

Do I have a case? Or should I just consider the $198 my "stupid tax" and move on with life?

Thanks!

Comments (25)