SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi89_gw

seattle - lk wa waterfront building permit help needed please!

mimi89
14 years ago

After 8 mos & plenty of fees, my waterfront building permit was finally approved by the City of Seattle; 45 days later (mid Sept.) the permit was quietly re-opened; meanwhile, I was never informed of ANY problems & was happily choosing a builder,"approved" permit in hand. My new builder went to the home site in mid Oct & found a Stop Work order posted on the door of the 2 years-vacant waterfront shack I own but don't live in; apparently my respected, experienced surveyor had given incorrect info re the Ordinary High Water mark & set backs. I live 10 mi. away, receive my mail in a different town, spent 14 of the last 18 mo. in cancer treatment, & simply had not had a recent reason to go to the cabin. Because of this false info given to the city (that I had nothing to do with - my "mistake" was relying on a pro surveyor to do his job properly) the 21 day rule doesn't apply & per city, my options are to either modify the existing "new construction" permit & build a much smaller house at the very back of the lot with a reduced lake view, which wouldn't be worth the construction cost to me; or to begin the permit process all over again to get a "remodelling" permit that would let me build slightly larger & closer to the lake. Apparently, the existing "new construction" permit can't be modified to allow me remodel but only to byild entirely new. If I seek a remodel permit, apparently I would have to pay all the city fees all over again, get a new Shoreline Development permit, & probably have the geo tech, etc., studies redone. Nobody in the Seattle building dept. seems interested in helping me in any way. I reluctantly got an architect who thought he could get the existing "new construction" permit modified to do a remodel (only 1 wall would be left intact) but the city disagrees & I've now paid the architect a lot of unplanned money I can't afford. Nor can I afford a lawyer. I feel the city was negligent, as they failed to discover any OHW mark or setback problems during the 8 mo. period that they scrutinized my permit;apparently someone outside the building dept. was more knowledgeable & reported my survey inaccuracies. Further, the city put the Stop Work tag on a vacant house & made no further effort to contact me (they had no problem finding me frequently for extra fees & info during the permit review process, however!) It seems to me that someone in the city should have noticed that I did not respond to the Stop work order for almost 1 mo. & should have made a good faith effort by mail to establish that I had actually received this order (any passer-by could have ripped it off the cabin door & thrown it away & then I would STILL be sitting here ignorant of this order! When my permit was approved at end of 7/09, nobody told me I had better check the property site regularly because the permit might be rescinded! I am over 60, retired on a fixed income & the $ invested was my life savings. I am VERY happy to be a Cancer Survivor :) but it now appears I'll be living out my life in the dilapidated, asbestos-filled shack on my property. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Sorry to be so lengthy but it's a complex situation. Hope your hols are happier than mine!

Comments (8)