SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

do you like your washing machine?

jlsch
11 years ago

My washing machine is a goner. I've been searching online for the past hour or more and am left baffled. I need to use it for about 2 loads per week. I'd like to be able to do rugs in it as well. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a Speed Queen. They are old school simple, and that is fine with me. I don't need all the bells and whistles and it seems that much of what is on the market right now is junk that just doesn't hold up...doesn't clean well...etc. Just wondering what others have and if the pros and cons of what you have. I've always had a top loader and am fine with that as well.

Comments (42)

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

I have pretty strong opinions on this subject. The 30+ yr old washer that came with our house died after we'd used it for 14 years without a problem. Like you, I tried to do my research, but basically everything I read said that they were all cr@p. We got a front loading Maytag. I hate it. You can only do the preset programs. If I want to spin out some things, have to go through their whole cycle. Can't stop in the middle and add something if I forget something. Clothes don't seem any cleaner than in the old machine. And to top it off, the pump died after 13 months. Luckily, I had bought the extended warranty.

I think your plan to buy old school simple is a good one. If I could do it over again, I'd buy a good make old/used one.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Not all front loaders are the same. I have 9 year old Kenmore and I can add clothes just about any time in the cycle. It also has a Spin only cycle.

• Related Discussions

do you wash your dishes before you wash your dishes?

Q

Comments (20)
    One of the reasons to *not* rinse/prewash dishes is if you use an enzyme detergent it needs the food particles to work better. It'll etch glass and stuff if it doesn't have the food particles. I can't explain it well, but it's easy research for a more thorough explanation. Most just recommend scraping the dishes (and really, who wouldn't?!) then into the DW. I haven't had a dishwasher for more than 30 years but I'm starting to miss it. I would get grossed out though when it left stuff on it. When washing by hand and using a good soap it gets clean. Sure, you just put it back in and rewash but it still bugs me. It also bugs me to see people leave dirty dishes in the DW for a week before washing them. Argh! If it takes a week to fill it, you should have a smaller DW or use a top rack only feature. This is what impresses me about the F&P Dish Drawers. And geez, I can wash a few dishes FAR faster than an hour or two for a dishwasher! LOL And when you compare the time to load the dishwasher vs washing, it's pretty close. Time's not a factor. It's the hassle of washing them. I soak my dishes and a quick swish, rinse in HOT water and into the drainer to dry. Putting them away is comparable to time in a DW. Oh, and one thing I found out quickly, the way you load it makes a big difference. You have to learn how the water sprays and make sure it's not blocked for effective washing.
    ...See More

As you consider your washing machine choices.....

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for posting this. It does put things into perspective. I just posted about selecting a dryer. That is even more of a luxury/waste of natural resources. We just installed a solar hot water heater and try to limit our washing to clothes that are really dirty. When the washer was on the first floor we did hang things on the line. with its move to the second floor that will be harder to do. I feel badly that we are going in the wrong direction on this but feel boxed in. Thanks again for your post.
    ...See More

Do you like your sewing machine?

Q

Comments (44)
    I have an old pre-WWII model singer treadle which I use when I feel nostalgic. When I was in HS I made petticoats to go under poodle skirts with it..and made pretty good money. Also made most of my own clothes. I also have a Necchi Elna which is about 40 years old. It works beaufully, but does not handle heavy fabrics well. Tension problems..it won't climb over the seams. I don't do much sewing anymore, but the maintenance man told me to keep it..it's all metal and made to last.
    ...See More

Bread machine--Do you like yours?

Q

Comments (7)
    I own "2" bread machines. You asked, "Are they worth it?" I make up a lot of bread recipes....sometimes I'm out of wheat flour so I use bran for instance. :0) In order to adjust the second rise of the bread.....most machines won't let you do it. They have preset modes only. I found this out and then purchased a Zojirushi. It bakes elongated loafs that look picture perfect as opposed to my Hitachi....see pic. I use my bread machine ALL the time, but you might want to check your local thrift store before buying one. I paid $200 for my Hitachi new, I paid $15 for the Zo used. :0) Here is a link that might be useful: Zojirushi machine.....
    ...See More
  • covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Check out the Laundry Forum here on GW. Lots of opinions there. I have a Miele front loader and wouldn't trade it for anything!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I hate mine. It is an LG front loader. I had a whirlpool front loader in my last house and I loved it. Why I didnt get the same ones is a mystery to me. Dumb move!

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

I second boopadaboo on how much I hate my LG frontload.
    Good luck on your search !
    Shop where you get a good return policy .
    Also where you are putting it matters ~not all machines should be on the 2nd floor.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I absolutely love my washing machine (and dryer). Honestly, if asked I would do a commercial for the company! I'm another who had a long time machine that finally died. Very dependable. I did the research and decided on a Fisher Paykel. I didn't particularly want a front loader. Mine is a top loader but very energy efficiant. Clothes are much less "wet" when they go to the dryer. We've had it around 3-4 years now and so far(knock on wood!!) no complaints.

tina

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

cvington cat, I apologize. The Miele was the only one that got consistently good reviews when I was searching. I wish I had splurged, but it was twice the price of most of the others and my in-laws were buying it for me as a present and I didn't think I could ask them to spend that much. Should have just paid for it myself.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I have a Bosch front loader which I love. I can stop it in the middle of a load if I need to do so. It uses less water than most others even other front loaders (has a water sensor to judge needed H2O. It cleans wonderfully and spins at 1200 rpm, so drying takes less time. I also have a Bosch condenser dryer which I love.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Forboys and boodapoo, what don't you like about your LG front loaders? I've had mine for years, and with four kids, I do a TON of laundry. I've been very pleased with mine so curious if it's the features you don't like or if you have had repair issues.

• Mimou-GW
    11 years ago

I hate my Bosch but it is about 6 years old now. Maybe the newer models are improved.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I bought my Bosch in 2007 and have never had any problems at all-no repairs, nothing. It gets very heavy use, too.

• awm03
    11 years ago

I bought a Samsung front loader 3 1/2 years ago. It's the best washer I've ever owned. I wash sweaters, comforters, coats, use quick wash, heavy duty wash, sanitize wash, wool wash, bedding wash -- it does everything well. I too thought I'd never use the bells & whistles, but turns out I like them very much. You can't add something after the 3 minute mark, but that's rarely a problem for me.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

We have a Frigidaire front loader from Lowe's for about 6 years. It was inexpensive and it does the job. Once it ate a pair of my undies and I had to download the repair manual to get it out of the drain trap. It was no longer under extended warranty, and when it was the repair company seemed clueless. Now I am sure to wash small items in a mesh bag.

I would probably look at Samsung for when it goes.

• sis3
    11 years ago

I have Bosch washer and dryer (and dishwashers, and coffee maker) and wouldn't swap! They are almost 7 years old but look and work like new. The washer washes very well, is quiet, can be stopped and started at will, has a rinse cycle, a soak cycle, spins to 1200rpm, and is very economical. It doesn't make dinner but I forgive it because it does such a great job of washing!

I have owned Bosch appliances for the last 40 years and have always been more than happy with them.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I have a frigidaire affinity FL that I got at Sears 6 or 7 years ago. I got the least amount of bells and whistles that I could find. My theory was there would be fewer things to malfunction. So far I have been happy with it. The best part is how much extra water spins off the clothes compared to my TL.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I have an LG. No complaints other than having to run cleaning cycles to prevent that mold smell - but next time, I'm going for a top load. Fisher Paykel with no wringer.

• suero
    11 years ago

I have a Maytag top loader. Huge capacity, many presets, but you can specify the water temp, degree of soil, amount of spin, and you can add an item at any time. Best part is that it lets you know how long the wash will take.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

When the old dryer that the PO's left for us died, I went and bought a new washer & dryer. Due to space constraints, I had to be very picky and it turned out that the machines that worked in my space were Kenmore. I think I have the 3.6 CF washer-it's very, very basic...4 temps, can set for 1 or 2 rinse, and several different wash cycles. I needed to get simple, because my DH (and my MIL) would kill something fancy. Plus DH's work clothes get really nasty.

I have a gas dryer-I love it more than I can say. The clothes are dry when the wash load ends-jeans might need to go a bit longer, but I try to dry those after I've already used the dryer.

I've had this set 5 years and not a single issue (knock wood) so far. I do at least 5 loads a week.

• compumom
    11 years ago

I hate my Bosch. We are empty nesters who bought in '07 and while the machines work quite well, the plastic housing has cracked 3 times! So much so, that the company paid to replace parts of both the washer & dryer this year after I made a huge fuss! I don't know about the new ones, but the run times are too short or too long-- there's no setting except 25 min, or much longer- one hour plus.
    DD has the Samsung and it sees very heavy use. For the few times that I've used it, I think it's a better product with more options for the length of the cycle.

I was forced into the Bosch due to undercounter space limitations and not wanting to spend as much as a Miele. However two friends bought the Speed Queen and are very satisfied. Good luck, it's not easy making that decision!

• golddust
    11 years ago

Aimee has the same Kenmore set as Pesky. She has 5 teenagers so her washer and dryer gets a workout at three loads per day. She loves, loves, loves her washer and dryer.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Another Bosch lover here. We replaced a top loading Maytag I hated about six years ago. Our clothes get so dry in the spin cycle they only spend about 5 minutes in the dryer, which lengthens the life and appearance of each garment.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i've had a whirlpool duet fl for ~ 6 yrs and love it. it has a large cap and cleans the clothes well. there's about a 10 min or so window of opportunity to add clothes to the load if you forgot something.
    i have the w&d on tall pedestals tho and don't think i'd like it as much without them... i'm ~5'9"...

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

I also have the Duet front load washer/dryer and love them. Got mine ~7 years ago when we were doing massive loads of laundry. Well, we still are but now I don't have to do them all :). Anyway, I love them because you can get enormous quantities in if necessary or do small loads and either way the system adjusts water, drying time etc. Does a great job on cleaning and so far no breakdowns or mechanical problems.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

>
    I HATE mine!!! We bought our new Samsung front loader washer and dryer about 6 months ago and I really, really dislike it. This is my first front loader and I can't understand why anyone would choose it over a top loader.
    * I'm constantly dropping clothes on the floor when loading and unloading it.
    * I have to stoop over now to load and unload this thing.
    * It plays some cutesy little tune instead of a simple buzz, which I find annoying, as does the rest of my family. I do have the option, though, to have nothing at all but then I'd probably forget to get the clothes out on time.
    * I can't add anything to my load after a few minutes which is a bother sometimes.
    * It does a horrible job washing anything heavy: towels, rugs, blankets, etc. No matter how carefully I load these items to keep it balanced, it always comes unbalanced and then stops running. And, it always leaves these heavy loads wet.
    * And along those lines, you can't go back and just put it on spin. There is a Rinse & Spin cycle, but this still leaves my heavy loads wet.
    * It has a Steam cycle that I never use and is a waste for me to have.
    * It doesn't hold a very big load.

If I had to do it over again, I would never have gotten this set and would send it back in a heartbeat if I could.

Awm, we need to talk because I can use as many pointers with this/these as you can give me!
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 22:23

• gail618
    11 years ago

Lynn - where did you buy your washer? Quite a few years ago, I bought a front-loader at Sears. I HATED it. The clothes came out of the dryer wrinkled because they had been spun so hard in the washer and they weren't getting as clean as they had been in my 15-year old top loader. There was mold growing under the gasket around the door so the clothes always smelled, no matter what I did. And I don't think you should have to run an empty load with hot water and bleach once a week, wipe down the gasket after each wash, and leave the door of the washer open in order to prevent mold (this is what is suggested). Especially since this machine was twice expensive as the others. About a year later, I went into Sears, told them I hated the machine and why, and they told me I could pick out any other machine and they would replace them. I went with a Kenmore Elite top loader which is simple, but I like it. They even refunded me the difference in price between the two machines. It might be worth a try if you really are unhappy with yours. I was surprised at how quickly they offered this to me -- I think it might be because of the mold but I'm not sure. Do you have any mold issues with yours?

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

I've had the Kenmore version of Whirlpool Duet frontload for about eight years. Have been very happy with it - no complaints. Not sure why some people have so many problems with frontload washers and others like me have none. I don't do anything special other than leave the door ajar after use so it dries out inside. My clothes are cleaner than they ever were with my old top load Maytag and they don't end up mangled around an agitator - though I guess some of the top loaders no longer have agitators.

I also have a Frigidaire Affinity frontload at my weekend lake place - had to get that because it was the only FL that would fit into the available space. It does the job but I don't like it as well as the Kenmore I have at home. It doesn't seem as well made.

• User
    11 years ago

We also have the Duet version of the Kenmore washer & dryer (made by Whirlpool). Have had it for about 8 years ago and have been really happy with them. The only thing I do is keep the door slightly open when it's not in use and will sometimes wipe out the gasket and do a rinse with some vinegar. Have to admit though, this is one situation where it does pay to be short :c) makes it much easier to load and unload.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Does anyone have a Bravo? That will be my next washer, most likely.

• roobear
    11 years ago

Another Whirlpool duet FL owner, we've had our W&D for a year now and have been very happy with both machines. I'm short though and don't mind bending over, because we could stack them I had room to add a laundry sink next to them which has been so nice to have.

• awm03
    11 years ago

lynn, I'm so sorry you don't like your machine. Mine never goes off balance, and we really cram in the clothes (my sons overload it frequently). I've washed king-sized comforters too. It's a more basic model -- WF330 -- don't think it's made anymore. Sure wish I had some good tips for you, but I don't :(

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Have an LG front loader and dislike it. Part of me says it is the changes so many washers have made. It didn't wash clothes as clean, even with bleach, and I hated the sour smell which eludes me.

I really wonder if our soaps are different than once was too. Really dislike HD and there are times regular soap is used with a far better outcome. Although even those aren't what I remember.
    I did play around for a solution and came up with Spray n Wash. Nothing said not to use it. Now I use it on anything needed for spots in every wash. It doesn't take much, but the clothes are clean and smell wonderful. And, no, we shouldn't have to do this in the scheme of things.

If you have an LG like mine, there is a small tube below with a filter that grabs gunk. I also found that this was part of the dirty and sour smell. Be sure to empty it and clean the filter. Major difference is washing.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I have had an LG front loader, the bottom of the line, for almost four years. It works fine for me. I keep the door open all the time when not in use. I clean the filter and run the cleaning cycle every once in a while. I love that it is so quiet.

I was using too much detergent at first. Now I use just one Tablespoon of HE Tide per cycle, and less if I'm running a small load.

I miss not being able to put in things once the cycle has begun, like I could do on a top loader.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

What I find with towels is we must wash them on HOT and the longest (heavy) cycle for them not to smell. But that does it.

Really, our clothes are not dirty like from yardwork vs. just needing refresh from wearing/sweat.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I have 6-year-old Kenmore front loader. It's just okay. I'm short, so I prefer getting laundry from a front loader. I used to have to use a step stool to reach the bottom of my top loader. I find that I have to use a longer cycle with the FL to get clothes thoroughly washed. Laundry seems to take forever to do. I always dry the door gasket and the soap dispenser area after I finish my washing for the day. I also leave the door ajar for a while. I've never had the sour smell issue.

• maddie260
    11 years ago

I have the Maytag Bravos washer and dryer. The washer is the 300 series (about four years old) and the dryer is the 700 series (about two years old). I have been very, very happy with them and highly recommend them - large capacity, excellent cleaning, and top loading. I can pause the load and add items mid-cycle. I am very glad that I didn't go with a front-loader. I wish I had had this duo when my kids were little.

• compumom
    11 years ago

Timely post-- I just discovered ANOTHER crack in the plastic housing of my Bosch dryer. That makes FOUR different times that one of the two machines has cracked. REALLY BOSCH, this is unacceptable.
    BTW does anyone else find the spin cycle lacking unless it's on MAX? I don't recall it being this bad when I first bought it. But now, I have to give things an extra spin before tossing them into the dryer. DH's nice new sweatshirt was stained at dinner. I immediately washed it to remove the stain. As it was quite costly, I wanted to handle it delicately. I tried to tone down the spin cycle and ended up with a sodden lump. I had to re-spin on Max to have it dry enough to drip dry. Not happy...

• hhireno
    11 years ago

It fascinates me that so many of you mentioned the inability to add something to the washer once the cycle starts. I have been doing laundry for 30+ years and have never added anything to the washer once the cycle starts. And I easily could because I have a 20 yo top loader. I guess if I found something that should be in 'that' load I must have just waited for the next load or, more likely, tossed it into the laundry basket for the next week.

I was recently looking at my 20 yo W&D thinking maybe I should start getting ideas about replacements in case something happens to these. I'll make a note of the models mentioned here to use as my starting point when the inevitable happens.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Thanks, Maryanne, that's good to know!

• compumom
    11 years ago

Here's an example of some of the Bosch fascia cracks. Keep in mind that we do very few loads of laundry a week and we are empty nesters!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

It's a little hard to see, but could it be that it is not balanced correctly and if it vibrates, it is hitting against that cabinet which is causing the cracks? I honestly have had not one issue with my 2007 Bosch. I have no problems with the lower speed spins at all. I do have to squeeze out laundry when I wash my cashmere and other wools because I program it for no spin and just drain it. I am sorry you are so disappointed!

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

OK ~ Sorry but this web site sucks at tracking down previous
    post...
    I just wanted to add something...
    Since when have you had to buy "special"cleaning packets for your washing machine??
    Is this something that I have neglected to do in my top load ??
    I think not..
    Only in my front load do I need special cleaning soap and a special cleaning cycle...
    Let me know now if there is a special cleaning soap and cycle for my dishwasher.( It's feeling left out )

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's your cleaner

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I don't need anything special like that in my front loader! Seems like a marketing ploy to me. :)