SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Craft Fairs - Comments and Ideas Rattling around in my head

Adella Bedella
18 years ago

These are general observations. I didn't want to hijack the Craft Fair thread.

I haven't been to any craft shows in a while. In the last ones I went to, I've noticed that not many crafters come up with original ideas or put a spin on any of the existing ones. Like other craft fair goers, I'm not inclined to buy anything either.

The trend the last couple of years in home life has been to stream line and simplify our lives. I've often wondered if we would create more usable and disposable items if we would sell more. For instance, I don't know how soapmaking and selling is going these days. To me a good soap is one that smells good, works well, and isn't designed to sit on a shelf and look pretty. I don't want the package of glycerine shaped stuff to sit on the back of the potty collecting dust. You know - a dust collector. The same goes for a lot of other crafting. Our homes are filled up. We don't need more.

I've been throwing around some ideas in my head regarding inexpensive, easy, specialty items to make that someone else would want to buy and use. I think the high school and college markets would be a great place to start. I know with the colleges (not sure about high schools), you would have to worry about copyrights with mascots and such, but you should have free use of the school colors. All those thongs, purses, and handmade scarves in school colors would probably sell well. You could always use a sign with something like "Show Your Pride. Perfect to wear to the XYZ ball game."

The dispoable items such as Jiffy Pop and other edibles could do well too. Get a list of the opposing teams and mascots and come up with some "beat whoever" slogans. "Pop the fire out of ______" comes to mind.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this stuff out here to maybe get some thoughts on what we can do to sell more.

Comments (8)