SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaverlake_gw

GE Monogram 'In Use' Update

beaverlake
16 years ago

Some of the longer-lurking readers may remember that we were building a timberframe home and kept fighting delays. During that time I submitted many postings about research I did along the way. In the end I ended up scrapping about 1/2 of my ideas and we became poster-children for Monogram.

I thought some of you might benefit from our 6 months' experience living with the following:

1. Microwave

2. 36" all refrigerator

3. 36" all freezer

4. 30" double oven ("new style")

5. 48" cooktop (6 burners, grill, no griddle)

6. Dishwashers (two of them, the model with the lights)

7. Wine chiller

8. Beverage cooler

Like I said - "poster children" (and not exactly deprived appliance-wise)

Here's what we've found:

1. Microwave - does what it's supposed to, but we have had service twice for a bad moisture sensor for the reheat function. It does have a powerful high setting

2. Fridge and Freezer - IMHO the best interior layout in the market including the new Freedom/Gagg towers. Both interiors are laid out the same except that the freezer doesn't have enclosed drawers. Fresh foods stay fresh longer than in previous fridges (Kitchenaid, GE). Temp is constant in both units and constant within the units (checked with thermometers). The freezer "works" and for some reason we don't miss the in door ice and water (we installed a Franke filtered water/hot water Little Butler faucet at one of the sinks). BUT since we have a 22 x 45 foot open plan room quiet is important and the compressors are noisier than I would like. We've had one compressor replaced already because of noise and it did make a difference.

3. Oven - interior capacity of the new ovens is great. The all-drawer-glide racks are great and very easy to take out or move. They stay in during cleaning and that works. Heat is even, roasts done right, broiler works well, etc. Multi-rack convection works well (ribs, frozen pizza, Christmas cookies). "Proof" can be used to keep plates warm (not hot) and food warm (mind the germs though, it's well below 175). Usability is great with easy-to-figure out controls for both ovens, dual timers, and dual temp indicators that show actual oven temp after setting the desired temp. Probes work well. BUT - the entire oven seems to be calibrated low (temp dials, probes, etc.) - I have yet to check vs an oven temp, but experience tells me we're off on the whole shebang by about 10 degrees. AND we've had a service call for the oven lights with started blinking when I was removing a rack (vibrating the oven cavity liner). The tech (yes, he's been here three times now) mentioned a bad batch of halogen bulbs so he's send me a *dozen*.

4. Cooktop - another Monogram (OEM DSC w/a few changes that I think are improvements) that does pretty much what it is supposed to and it does it well except as noted below. The simmer is amazing. I had chicken stock on simmer for use with slow-cooked risotto and the liquid just kept "turning" in a 3-quart calphalon pan. Rice left on simmer barely sticks to the bottom of a LeCrueset pot even way after the cooking was supposed to be done. High heat is HOT. For most cooking the burners hold a very steady temperature. The grill isn't a jet engine, but it does function very well for an integrated indoor unit (vs our last Thermador which had about the same BTU rating). I grilled mass amounts of shrimp and chicken at my 60th a few weeks ago with no problem. BUT - like any of the "circular" burner designs there is a "cold spot" in the middle of the burner and on high the flame really spreads out. So much so, in fact, that you can't really use it effectively on less than a 12" pan or large pot. This is disappointing because the reversible grate with the "wok holder" really works - but most of the heat goes up the side and isn't concentrated. Overall a great unit with the exception of trying to use the extra-high heat in pots/pans of a smaller diameter including, unfortunately, a wok. Again - this is not unlike any of the "circular" burner designs. (Note to the Bluestar crowd - I was almost one of you, but in the end, side-by-side, some of the mfg quality/finish issues - though small - pushed me over to the GE. That and the fact that ALL burners can simmer very low and all burners can blast very hot even if it is a spread out flame).

5. Dishwashers - Dead quiet (and I mean quiet), they clean very effectively and that's really what it's all about, and they have versatile racks. The interior lighting that I thought was a gimmick actually turns out to be a very handy feature. After coming off Bosch and then Whirlpool, however, the racks have taken some getting used to and I'm not certain I like them. The design tends to make larger dishes "fall foward". This was really a problem for me until I noticed that one side of the lower rack had two tines sticking up and the other side had three. If the large plates are on the side with two tines the problem nearly disappears (duh-o!). Nearly. The "flop down" wine glass stem holders on the top rack "flop down" a little too easy. We had a service call thinking we had a leaky gasket on one unit. Turns out that there was a factory "upgrade" that fixed a water condensation/draining problem in the vent tube. The swap out fixed the problem - but it was another post-sale service call.

6. Chiller/cooler - IMHO the wine chiller is the best bargain in this type and size of appliance (single zone) if you want a small unit in the kitchen. We never hear the compressor (same for the cooler). It has good capacity, and the drawer-fronts can be removed and the wood can be stained and finished to match the cabinets. We got the beverage cooler with the digital glass front and it's kind of cool (sorry about the pun) and hides the contents until you hit the light button that's cleverly disguised on the top end of the handle. The cooler also holds about a dozen wine bottles (of white, naturally).

Overall - I think that Monogram represents high value in high-end appliances (no, I'm not a dealer). I'm not happy that we've had three visits from our new friend at GE Service - but I will say the experience has been very positive from scheduling through repairs. Not once did I feel like my sanity was being questioned, that I was being unreasonable, or any other negative experiences I've read about on the Forum. Add to that the fact that you can actually negotiate on price and you've got a pretty good package.

Next time (yes, there will be - this house went over the top on over-runs so we'll be at it again in another year or so)...

1. Micro - who knows?

2. Fridge/freezer: we'll check out the Therm/Gagg towers, revisit Monogram, or just get real and drop back to a good "plain old fridge" and put the money in my home theater. Noise will be less of an issue since I'll have a dedicated listening room in the next house. Still, the Monogram interior on the all fridge/freezer is VERY compelling.

3. Ovens - Gagg is in a different price class, but I'll check out the new Gagg 30" combined with their steam oven on top. Almost went the 27"oven/steam oven combo for this house but had to cut back. The Monograms really work well, but Gagg has an appeal. In the end I'll proabably do Monogram again.

4. Cooktop - induction, hands down - probably Gagg. The new units are competitively priced, the Vario units provide the flexibility I want, and they are high powered. I'll probably combine Vario unitsto make two cooking stations (with the teppan-kaki griddle and electric grill) and use two smaller vents. The GE works well but I'm through dis-assembling a cooktop to clean up afer every use. Period. Having cooked on induction, I'm hooked (the Gagg wok unit). And I really want two independent cooking stations so the Vario units are a perfect fit.

5. Dishwaser - if it weren't for the racks I'd do Monogram again in a heartbeat. Another potential big bargain in the high end market, but check out the racks carefully beforehand. That said - I'll just have to wait and see what's available in two years.

5. Wine chiller/bev cooler - I'd do the bev cooler in the kitchen again but if I do another chiller it's an inexpensive Vinotemp from Costco in the laundry room or basement.

Bottom line - I'd do Monogram again in this house. They are good performers (with the noted exceptions), the service is first rate (unfortunately I've had to learn this the hard way), the problems we've had aren't serious and have been corrected on one visit, and for this "class" of appliance the price is right.

As always, if you have specific questions please drop me an email.

gordon

Ps - I purposely avoided discussing the vent. We have a 1500cfm exterior fan (Viking/Broan) but last-minute clearance problems meant ditching the Viking liner and going with a smaller Farber unit that would fit. It works, but its all wrong (and very noisy from the small filter/high air movement combo even on low speed).

Pps - Franke sinks ++; thought the SS grates were another gimmick but they really do provide additional functionality that's hard to explain but the experience is positive (for some uses not the least of which is to effectively raise the bottom of a deep sink and saving my back). Franke Little Butler ++. Blanco "stone" finish sink in the laundry room is a --; it's white, I have stains that won't come out, and a couple of small chips from not-excessive or harsh use - and since it's under a granite slab any kind of return/replacement is out of the question. Waste King disposers - not bad, but I'll do Insinkerator the next time (as in the past). Top of counter mounted "air switches" for the disposals are a nice touch and don't cost an arm and leg.

Comments (6)