SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Paging Pinch_me, re review of Broan E661 hood

warmfridge
14 years ago

Hi Pinch,

My range hood was finally installed last week. The installation went well, after the contractor found 14" rectangular vent parts. He immediately turned it on and you could see it sucking all the drywall dust out of the kitchen. One thing to consider about the installation is that this hood is not very tall, so you may need some kind of spacer under your cabinet to get the bottom of the hood in the recommended range of 24"-30" from the stove surface.

The off-center fan that someone else mentioned does not seem to be a problem at all. The light bulbs do not, in fact, fit snugly and some air blew back toward the stove but that problem was easily solved with a little piece of aluminum foil.

The halogen lights have 3 settings. The lowest one is good for kitchen ambience, and the brightest one is more than adequate for cooking. The bulbs get pretty hot, which is a plus for me as I can leave bread dough on top of the stove to rise under those lights.

The fan has 4 speeds. Even on the lowest one you can see it sucking up smoke and steam. The high one seems really powerful. I tried the high setting last night while I was sauteing peppers and onions...it completely eliminated any odors and there wasn't any grease on the stovetop when I finished. The high setting is pretty noisy, but I wouldn't expect anything different from a hood with an internal blower vented directly out the back. I don't think I'll use the high setting unless I'm frying something like onions or fish anyway. The 5-minute delay off feature is nice.

I'm pretty pleased with this hood so far. Also really glad it finally got installed as we got a lot of snow yesterday and I don't need that tracked into the kitchen.

WF

Comments (11)