Kobe Beef....Is it worth the $$ ??

Bizzo

It's my anniversary tonight and DH and I are going to an nice (and expensive) local restaurant known for it's steak. They also have a Kobe Sirloin and a Kobe Flat Iron steak on their menu.

I've never had Kobe, and might splurge tonight...(it is my anniversary!!) but the Kobe is really (really!!) expensive...

So, anyone had Kobe? How does it compare ?

Octagon Menu (see page 3 for the steaks)

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

Elizabeth,

As you know, Octagon's is just 10 minutes from us & we've eaten there a couple times. Once when my DS was staying at the Marriott on business & we joined him for dinner (on his expense account) & the other time because the broker that sold us our boat sent a GC. But, I've never had the Kobe.

I have eaten Kobe in NYC. It was good but definitely different. The mouth feel is softer...don't know quite how to explain? Very 'buttery' but not in a fatty way. Just a softer texture. I think it even looks a little different. Is it worth the money? That's subjective, I guess.

My favorite steak is a Black Agnus prime rib-eye so that's what I've ordered at Octagon. If you like steak...you'll not be disappointed with Octagon. I've had the loaded potato as a side. Never had dessert 'cause I'm too stuffed!

Happy Anniversary! If you get the Kobe please tell us your impressions. If it's good, maybe, I'll get DH to take me there for Valentine's Day. :)

/tricia

Save    
wizardnm

I'd go for it!
None of the prices seem out of line, all of the decent restaurants around here are in that price range. I'm not a huge hunk of meat eater so I'd probably order the smaller cut, but that's just me.

Report back please....and you could take a camera with you.

Nancy

Save    
ltcollins1949

I've had it only once, and that was in Louisville. It was an 8 oz. filet, and I shared it with my DH, DD and SIL. We all agreed it was fantastic. Nothing has ever tasted better. We still talk about how good it was.

And I love Black Angus, but the Kobe was better.

Save    
dlynn2

I'd also be tempted to try the Kobe Carpaccio --- I love carpaccio.

Save    
riverrat1

I've eaten it locally at a restaurant in town. Loved it! It does have a softer texture and buttery yummy taste.

Save    
arlinek

I've only eaten Kobe in Japan with a very fine cut of beef (N.Y. steak equivalent). It was indeed fabulous and incredibly marbled, which is what makes a steak taste so great! My one concern is that one of your choices is the flat iron steak. I've read up on and tasted a flat iron steak. It is NOT a good cut, IMHO!! It's only recently become "available" as the meat industry wanted to start promoting it and have the butchers cut the piece of meat it comes from differently so it could be something "new". Quite often it is a tough piece of meat (I AM referring to the typical choice quality, not Kobe, however) and not that flavorful. It bothers me that they would offer that cut from Kobe beef; I guess that's why it is so much lower priced. If you're going to try it, try the real steak and not a secondary cut of meat. Do a search on flat iron and read for yourself its history.

arline

Save    
Vivian Kaufman

I dunno. We love flat iron steak around here. All we can get is the choice quality and It's absolutely my favorite--above tenderloin. No question. Every time I make it for a party, people rave about it. I always do a chili/brown sugar rub and we grill it--but not past medium rare--and I cut it thin across the grain. Very economical and makes great tacos the next day if there are leftovers.

I suspect a Kobe flat iron would be out of this world....!

Save    
deborah_ps

I've only had a Kobe Hamburger at a local restaurant. The 1st one was delicious and the second time so-so. I couldn't figure out if maybe the second one was past it's prime and by then I kinda grossed myself out by even thinking that lol!

Save    
barbara48

I must admit I am not a huge steak fan. I have had kobe both here and Japan and it was good but not enough to make me order it again.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Flat iron is one of my favorite cuts for a quick pan fry. I love the deep flavor and texture. But never past medium rare at most.

Save    
annie1992

Coming from a beef farmer, well, of course it's not worth that. LOL

However, it is your anniversary. If you want something special that you'll remember (whether you love it or not), then go for it. At least you can say you tried Kobe beef.

I'd also go for the carpaccio, although I typically won't eat beef raw except my own because of the way commercial beef is raised, kept and fed.

Annie

Save    
trixietx

Try the Kobe! We've had it a couple of times and it is good. We had it at Craftsteak in Las Vegas. It was so good.

Save    
Bizzo

First of all we had a really wonderful and romantic dinner!

but regardingthe Kobe steak... I decided to spend my money on the wine instead of the Kobe. I had a half bottle of Opus One. The Last time I had had it (between 15 and 20 years ago) my date ordered a half bottle for the two of us -- for $50. This was a little more than three times that.

Pardon the bad lighting and focus, but here's the Opus One...

My opinion then was that it was fantastic. My opinion now was that it was really really good - but I can find something else I like just as well for a whole lot less.

So... I took the advice of several of you and ordered the Kobe Carpaccio. I've never had Carpaccio so I can't compare it to that, but I can tell you it was thinner than paper. and some of it just smeared the plate. It was very buttery, creamy. I will try a Kobe steak sometime, but not when I'm drinking expensive wine.

Unfortunately, because of the way it was served, I got a lot of balsamic taste, and not as much of the beef.

For dinner we both had the 16 oz Copper Ridge Prime. Perfectly seared on the outside, perfectly medium rare on the inside. I had mine with Bernaise sauce. YUM!! We also split the au gratin potoatoes and truffle mac and cheese. No pics - as you can see from the two that I posted, it was very very dark, and I had trouble with the flash (I couldn't figure out how to turn it off!)

I ended up taking a glass-worth of the Opus One (bless the merlot-to-go laws) and half the steak, half the potatoes and a spoonful of truffle mac home. Guess what's for dinner tonight?? With a little red-leaf lettuce salad I think we're still celebrating.

note, interesting the different opinions on Flat Iron. I did look it up, and Wikipedia even mentions Wagyu or Kobe flat iron.

Save    
ann_t

WEll it sounds like your celebrated in style. I love carpaccio, but I don't understand why a chef would even consider drizzling sweet balsamic vinegar anywhere near that buttery expensive beef. A little drizzle of olive oil, shavings of Reggiano and black pepper and I'm happy.

I can just imagine how the Opus was the perfect match with Prime beef.

Bizzo, what Anniversary were you celebrating? 25th?

Ann

Save    
annie1992

Ann, I completely agree, I can't imagine putting balsamic on carpaccio. When I have those shavings of beef, I want to taste the beef.

Happy Anniversary, Bizzo. I'm glad you have wine to go rules, just keep on celebrating.

Annie

Save    
artsyshell

Sounds like a wonderful dinner!

Shelley S.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular A Designer Shares Her Kitchen-Remodel Wish List
As part of a whole-house renovation, she’s making her dream list of kitchen amenities. What are your must-have features?
Full Story
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More
Faber Custom Builders specializes in quality custom construction with a personal level of detail and... Read More