SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

New dishwasher for daughter w/new baby

loves2read
11 years ago

Our daughter in FL had baby in July and their dishwasher is just not cutting the job...We offered to buy them one for Christmas. Their home is older -- built in 70's and original kitchen still
Not sure how difficult the install will be---and I know that proper install is one of most important aspects of getting any dishwasher to work properly.
One in there now is conventional size according to my SIL and is to the right of the sink but have no clue about any other plumbing factors...
He is pretty handy--should he pull it out to see how the hoses are connected before we get new one?

They want one that is good at getting food particles off dishes and drying plastics...and is fairly quiet...

Does having a unit with a hard food disposer (a grinder) make that much difference?

They will be washing bottles and baby dishes in with the rest of the items and right now they have to allow extra time for the baby's bottles and stuff to air dry most of the time...

Really want a DW that is able to dry plastics thoroughly so air drying is not required...keeping the plastics in the top shelf is not problem--just want the items to dry...

I read in This Old House that the Asko D589A dries plastics very well due to the double fans for air circulation but not familiar with that brand at all and not many people post about having them...

I think they would be more comfortable with brand they are more familiar with and that can be serviced easier...but if Asko is superior in that regard then they can learn to spell the name...
Have also read that a Samsung model has been rated very highly--again a brand you don't associate with DW...

Like anyone else dependability is also important...my daughter is teacher and goes back to work in Jan so she doesn't need the hassle of having to worry about why this DW is nor working properly or make time for service calls...

We want to spend less than 1K on this dishwasher--mainly because there are other things we are getting them for Christmas...and from what I have read a higher price tag does not guarantee a happy customer...

Other factors: controls on top of door vs front with child-lock feature, SS tub, and a white panel---they have older kitchen with white appliances...

Suggestions appreciated.....as always

Comments (8)