SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Energy Efficient + passive solar plans: comparision

chueh
12 years ago

I found 2 plans I like, but I am not sure which one would work better, regarding suitability to the site, cost comparison, and energy efficiency. Please shed light with me:

The lot with native ever green and deciduous trees along or outside property lines (green color=evergreen; orange=deciduous)

Plan1: 1520 sq ft energy efficient design $111,857 estimate cost-to-build without the extra added garage

purpose of this photo: the ratio between the house plan and the site

detail of Plan1 with an extra added attached garage

Plan2: 1798 sq ft Energy efficient, plus passive solar design $132,315 estimate cost-to-build

ratio between house plan2 and the site

detail of plan2: love the architecture style yet the orientation designed of this plan does not fit with my site. As you can see the back of the house will face the entrance of the driveway. Although the back of the house looks equally interesting, is it OK to orient a house this way? The driveway will be even longer going from the front of the site to the rear to park into the garage???

reverse of plan2: considering passive solar design, would the sun penetrate the solarium better this way???

I actually love the architecture of plan2, while love the openness of plan1. However, plan2 seems to be more energy efficient to me because of its passive solar design as well, while plan1 suits better for convenience as one room flows to another.

Anyway, I will have to decide this person decision myself, yet I would like suggestions and opinions comparing them both regarding the cost, energy efficiency, and suitability of the site. Thanks

Comments (24)