SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

Update on problems with LG refrigerator

beache
17 years ago

To recap, my main control board and defrost controller failed again 10 months after they were replaced under warranty last December (when the fridge was 2 1/2 months old). I repeatedly called LG customer service and they kept saying a supervisor would call me back. This morning I called again and a supervisor finally got on the phone.

Before I even finished going over my story the person cut me off and said that I should have bought the extended warranty on the fridge. I was nice, but we went back and forth--me saying that LG should stand by it's products, do they expect them to fail? That we shouldn't have to pay for something that even LG's own techs admit is a continuing problem, blah blah blah. That they could at least make a good faith gesture. Bottom line is, they won't cover anything and if I choose to write to corporate headquarters about it, it would just go to her and she would deny me again.

I am so frustrated with their attitude. I'm guessing that the main board and the controller will fail again within a year (that will be the 3rd time) and I will then have to decide whether to put another $400 into a fridge that originally cost $1200. I did tell her that the saying goes that an unhappy customer will tell 10 friends about their experience, and I will tell everyone I can not to buy LG.

Comments (104)

• confused_lg
    15 years ago

I just received a letter from LG stating that the Sears Kenmore Elite FD made by Lg does not meet the testing rules of the DOE. They mis-stated the rating supposedly by mistake. Now LG is offering a rebate of $40.00 for the over amount of energy used.

Lg will also arrange with Sears to modify your refrigerator to make it more energy efficient at no cost.

LG will provide annual cash payments for future energy use for 14 years,which is the expected useful life of the product.

From reading about all the complaints about LG. I personally think they should give a complete refund and pick up the product that was sold to us under false advertisement.

I'm not cashing my check. If you do cash the check you are forever releasing LG,Sears and it affiliates,agents and reps from any further claim.

Has anyone else received this letter?

• harry_wild
    15 years ago

I read about this on the LG appliances website before buying my LG LMX21981ST.

Basically, they will be installing a circuit board that is more efficient and give you some annual checks. It all done, from what I gather. The settlement that is. Just remember a check become stale after 60 days and it is not accepted afterward.

I don't think you will get a refund based on this; because it was an error on measurement; not a major defect in the appliance that has recall possibilities.

Good luck.

• Related Discussions

LG Counter Depth FD Refrigerator...should I do it?

Q

Comments (20)
    Just my findings through research (and I've reached research overload and paralysis!)...J D Power rates the following as the top three brands customers are satisfied with: Sub-Zero, Samsung, LG. Whirlpool is above avg. KitchenAid is below avg. GE is at the bottom. LG has a 7 to 10 yr warranty on its "sealed system," which I THINK means the compressor. LG has a different kind of compressors than the other brands. There aren't that many places that service LG. I live in a big city, and there is only one authorized service center near me. There is another one in a suburb. Next, there is one in some small town miles from me. Whereas, I would bet there are a LOT of auth. service centers for Whirlpool and other brands. There are a lot of complaints out there about LG's service. My review of big box store customer reviews showed me a lot of highly rated LG fridges. Very few highly rated GEs. Some highly rated Whirlpool/Maytags. Samsung gets high customer reviews, but sadly for me. almost no Samsungs of reasonable cf will fit in my space. Samsungs are larger than most other fridges. LG fridges are generally a smidgeon shorter than other fridges, so there are more LGs that will fit in my space. More efficient use of space? For the same cf, I can get an LG that's a tad shorter, a tad less deep, and the same width as a Samsung or Whirlpool or whatever. There also seems to be this thing with a wide pantry drawer, which steals space from the veggie/fruit bins. I need the normal to deep veggie/fruit bins and would not use a pantry drawer. That lets out most french doors for me, and forces me to stick with single door units. It's very confusing. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just find one I like the looks of, fits in my space, and has the cf I need, and get it. I may or not get a lemon. There are complaints for every brand out there, and a "I'll never buy another [insert name of any brand here] again" review for every brand I've seen. BTW, post above is correct....GE and then LG have the highest repair record for bottom freezers WITH AN ICEMAKER, while Whirlpool and Kitchenaid and Maytag have the fewest. For bottom freezers w/o an icemaker, Kenmore and then LG have the fewest repairs, while GE and Amana have the most. (I guess that means it's the icemakers that are the problem with LG; since I wouldn't be using an icemaker, I wonder if that means LG would be reliable?) For side by sides, the brands with best reliability are Whirlpool, Maytag, Samsung. The least reliable is LG. It's very confusing.
    ...See More

Need Help choosing a Samsung or LG refrigerator by tomorrow 11/30/16!

Q

Comments (11)
    As to other issues -- there is a lot written in online reviews that expresses distress over both Samsung and LG ice/water through the door dispensers... does anyone who has one of these new models want to weigh in on this? Have they fixed this problem in the newer models? Is it a true problem or a matter of initial installation? (They say that you need to flush 5 gallons of water out of the dispenser initially to get rid of air in the line and then you won't have a problem..... is this true?) Also, as to different refrigerator model designs -- they actually recommended online that the refrigerator design with the four quadrants and the vertical lineup of drawers and door bins in the freezer is easier for shorter people than the big cavernous bottom freezers. I am actually on the taller side (5'8"), and to be honest I do not like bending over at all LOL! But at least it might be easier to find things below in a freezer composed of door bins and drawers, versus one big bin even if it has two levels. What do people who have actively used these different types of refrigerators, think of the new refrigerators by LG and Samsung with the tiered organization versus the old French Door/Bottom Freezer design?
    ...See More

Need Help ASAP to buy Samsung vs. LG Refrigerator tomorrow 11/30/2016

Q

Comments (13)
    I don't have the same LG model as you are looking for but have an LG 3 door French version that we bought new in July 13. It was a replacement for a 20 year old side-by-side so I admit that I was captivated by the interior lighting and more efficient configuration. However, I would not buy an LG again for these reasons: - ice maker is always jammed; when this happened the first time a few months after purchase, a repair person came out and "fixed" it. The fix lasted for a few weeks and since then has not worked. Seems like this is a known problem. It makes ice but the ice gets stuck and frozen into the dispenser. To remove the clogged ice is a physical effort of pulling and digging and creates a huge mess of crushed ice everywhere. Note that I have diligently followed the tips from the repair person to keep it working, to no avail: avoiding the crushed ice mode and dispensing ice at least once a day. - in less than 3 years I have had to replace a side door compartment and two crisper drawers. These cheap plastic parts crack very easily under normal wear and tear. - the freezer consistently creates frost build up and freezer burn on the food. - getting a repair person from the LG website is a huge hassle. Their website is glitchy and not user friendly at all.
    ...See More

BAD LG Refrigerator Customer Service

Q

Comments (0)
    Sharing a personal experience with LG Customer service. We made the mistake of purchasing LG kitchen appliances 4 years ago. Since the purchase we have had problems with the dishwasher, range, and refrigerator. We were lucky the first two failed appliances failed within the warranty. When our refrigerator stopped working we followed our owners manual. Then called their customer service. Where the individual reading from the script asked the same questions we read on their website. He wanted to dump me quick. I inquired on the built in diagnostics in troubleshooting. His response was just a moment. I then was dealing with a new representative who then tried to sell me an extended warranty for the repair. You are given two options. One year $463 covers parts&labor. Option 2 6 months for $363. I told them I was looking forward to taking their survey. I never got the call back. The last LG appliance for me.
    ...See More
  • amadeo27
    15 years ago

Snorklelover I have the same problem. I have a LG LRFD22850 refrigerator. It is about 3 years old. I am getting a loud whirring noise from the freezer when the fan would kick on. I have been defrosting it using a hairdryer once a week for the last couple of months! And recently I got the ER FF error message on the LED display above the water dispenser. I defrosted the freezer and then unplugged it. I plugged it back in and the fan is working properly. So you replaced the control board? Did that fix the frost build up problem? Did you have any luck getting LG to pay for the board? IÂm tired of dealing with this and am contemplating purchasing the control board for about $230 and installing it myself. I wish I knew that this would solve the problem before I buy the board. The part number on my board is 6871JB1375A. The replacement boards IÂve seen online are part number 6871JB1375D at partstore.com.

• rennovatorjen
    15 years ago

I am so sorry about your problem. I have just gone through (still going through) the same thing with my Amana range that cost $2000 and has broken 7 times (currently NOT planning on repairing again!).

• baoknguyen
    15 years ago

Amadeo27
    I have the exact same problem. Did you replace the board and did it solve the problem?

• katienic
    15 years ago

When I was shopping around and LG was on my short list I was told by a Sears appliance rep that she could not comfortably recommend the LG (even their Kenmore brand made by LG) because of the ongoing issues of fire hazzard. Yup, I ditched it from my list too.

LG has done a good job of making you want their products through effective advertising. It is a shame the product & service does not live up to the hype.

• marshal06880_optonline_net
    15 years ago

Add me to the list of unhappy customers. I was scheduled to receive the upgrade offered by LG. Just after they called my ice maker stopped working. Even a full defrost did not get it back. When they arrived they said that the ice maker needed a new control board too. Alas, the control board upgrade burnt up. When the technician called they told him that this was a recurring problem for a whole line. When I called they told me the tech screwed up or it was a bad board and I should have him install another one. Does anyone know the lawyer who brought this case originally? They are trying to get out of complying to the agreement and I think they should get raked over the coals in a courtroom.

• mydogs
    15 years ago

Hi--I just bought a new L G -3 door fridge with a bottom freezer model # L F C 20745 a week ago and see that the bulbs are a 40 watt size now and after reading all the above comments you/s all have my wife and me scared and not sure if i should keep this fridge as i have a month to return it --So what in asking does any one no anything about this new model and what does a person buy these days--at least we were smart enough to take the extented warranty.--thanks and any info would be appreciated.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I fell in love with the 4 door LG refrigerator and was really wanting this for my new home. Does anyone know about this model?....they really look great~~

Appliances are terrible anymore....my DD's Maytag two oven stove was less than a year old and her stove caught on fire...thankfully, her son was at home.

We have all GE appliances in this home, and we have had nothing but trouble with them...and they are 6 years old and we are having to repair or replace them....and not happy with them either. Right now we are going to have to replace our over the range Microwave....smelled something burning and the dish was cold...a part that is burned out plus the repair service is more than we can get another one for....guess they are making them "throw away"~~

Is there any brand that does not break the bank that is reliable anymore?.....our service man said that Whirlpool seems to be the best, as far as he was concerned.

• oldguy_44
    14 years ago

Wish I had found this site 3 years ago!
    We bought an LG FD refrigerator LFX25960SW from Home Depot (first wrong move) in July '06, and bought a 2-yr extended warranty from them (serviced by GE aka Federal Service Warranty Corp. In less than a year the icemaker failed and we had difficulty getting LG (still under manf warranty) to respond as the install date was one month later than the "purchase" date, but THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT. Subsequently aggravated by ongoing minor parts breaking, and by the icemaker jamming up, which they claimed was due to humidity (BS which others have mentioned.
    Finally encountered the "lighting meltdown" last December. Many calls to GE with svc rep TOTALLY ineffective. Never did anything but change the light fixture even tho the ceiling panel was melted from the heat.Four MONTHS of complaint calls finally got referred back up to LG and got a knowledgable tech who declared the unit damaged/replace. Now LG squirming around trying to lowball the replacement offer.
    The tech says the new LG's are ok but he has & recommends Samsung - NO problems. Wish I could get a full refund from LG but they want to depreciate 35%...
    Anybody know if a class-action has been instituted over this?
    Really bad taste in the mouth at this point, and not just from the food which has been spoiled.

• marghow
    14 years ago

I had the burning light issue in my three door fridge a week ago. I first called LG customer service and I have to say they were wonderful. I expected lots of problems I read in this forum. Luckily they did not even ask for my receipt (I couldn't find it from 3 years ago), just asked the model and when purchased. He said they were aware of the problem and basically have a voluntary recall. The repairs are at no charge. He gave me the closest appliance repair name and number which I called the next day and made an appointment. He was here once, but just took a look to see which parts were needed and will return in a few days. I had also sent an email from the LG website, which was finally answered to day, a week later. It basically apologized a bunch and said they had noticed my case had been handled by phone. Hopefully this will be resolved satisfactorily. I also have an LG stove and dishwasher. I had to have someone come out on the stove right after I got it. It had been wired wrong at the factory, so of course no charge for that. I bought them for their looks just like alot of people, but since I haven't had to spend a dime on them yet, I would have to say so far I'm satisfied.

• melted_lg_fridge
    14 years ago

I, too, learned the hard way that the light doesn't always go out when you close the refrigerator door. My LG LFC25760 melted like so many others.

I'm pissed that LG has known about this defect for over 2 years and has not issued a recall. Perhaps if everyone files a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (www.cpsc.gov) then they can force LG to do a recall and prevent others from experienceing this problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Product Safety Commission

• southernwhimsy
    14 years ago

WOW I just found this thread doing a search engine for "problems with LG Fridges". I have had my french door bottom tilt out freezer for nearly three years. Since the first use the ice bin in the freezer over fills and the ice cubes fall down the back side of the tray and drawer. Also the glides on the crisper drawers in the fridge part keep failing. We bought the extended warranty with this through Best Buy where we purchased. They have fixed these issues five times thus far. I am so sick of calling. The last time the repairman said if it went wrong again they would replace the fridge under the lemon. Well today I called and got in a big fight with the customer care people who told me the warranty (5 year) will not replace the fridge even though we were told it would when we purchased it and again by the repairman. I am seriously thinking of calling a news cast in our area called 5 on your side. The reporter goes to battle for you over poor customer service etc. Now I am reading that LG themselves is terrible in the customer service dept. which would have been my next move since Best Buy will not stand behind their extended warranty. I also have the tromm washer and dryer and have had some issues and I have the extended warranty on it as well. Guess that is going to do me NO good!

• maryo-4
    14 years ago

I bought a new ($3000.00) LG French door refrigerator in June '08. After several unsuccessful service calls to correct ice maker trouble and a 25 degree crisper drawer, the frig was replaced in September of '08. We have had the same problems with the new frig.In May of '09 I started calling LG for service. The crisper was reading 13 degrees!. LG service stalled for over a month to find some one who would work for them. It was reported to me by 3 service companies that they will not work for LG because they do not pay for the work that they order. I got back to LG service and they told me that I must now be covered by an extended service plan.LG figured that if they stalled past the one year anniversary date that they could avoid paying for the service. But wait it gets even better.
    In August of this year, my service man (three calls to my house and not payed yet for any of them) was informed by the LG Tech support man that my refrigerator was, in fact, a refurbished unit. It was origionly recalled due to LGs "Energy Star" miss labeling class action settlement.
    I confirmed this fact with the LG service supervisor that I had been working with for several months.So, two months after I spent $3000.00 for a new frig, I was given a replacement that was worth about $800.00 at best. What an outfit!I wouldn't buy so much as an electric can opener from these crooks!
    I originally bought it from my local Home Depot. After I found out that my "new" frig was a refurbished unit, I had a meeting with the Home Depot store manager.In less than five minutes, the Manager arranged for a full refund. So, it is OK to buy from Home Depot, just not a LG product,

• craiglin
    13 years ago

Came home the other night to find the housing that holds the light bulbs was completely melted, as was everything on the top shelf and doors of our LG fridge. Even the outside was hot. Thinking this was a fire hazard, we shut the unit off. This is the fourth problem we've had in four years. As with some of the rest of you, one repair company won't work on LG because they can't get paid for warranty parts.

Calling the customer service department was a real treat. Told them we think we got a lemon & would like a replacement or allowance toward something else. We asked for a supervisor and got Amber who informed us there's no one higher than her. Pretty much told us "sucks to be us"! Told us we can file a complaint with LG but she gets all the complaints. So much for anyone at LG hearing about any issues consumers are having.

She must have thought about any ramifications because she called & left us a message to call LG repair. The repair department told us "Duh, you didn't have to shut off the fridge. Just take the light bulbs out." Seriously? We're going to run something when it's been hot enough to melt the control housing? He arranged for a local company to come out in 2 days (it's already been 2 weeks) at no cost to us. Well, they can repair this one & we'll put it in our barn. Anyone else with a stainless steel, French door beer fridge in their barn? We've already ordered a GE Profile to replace this piece of junk.

We're definitely filing a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (www.cpsc.gov) especially after finding out LG has known about this problem for years! It probably hasn't been recalled because the CPSC has to go through "rhymes-with-witch" Amber too!

We'll NEVER own ANYTHING LG again!!

• jakkom
    13 years ago

LG = Lucky Goldstar. Remember them? They gave a bad rep to Korean products for decades.

Then they changed their name and got clued in that glitzy advertising and fancy externals are the ways to US consumer hearts. Different spots, same crummy animal.

Some Korean mfgs learned better. Hyundai made an effort to improve both their cars and their customer service, to good effect. But LG seems to have taken P.T. Barnum's proverb to heart, and stays with it. It's a shame, really.

• simplify123
    13 years ago

ME Too

Had read the earlier postings AFTER I purchased my LG piece of Crap from Home Depot. Today was the day.... my wife was screaming the fridge was on fire... read above you know the drill... After reading posting after posting I was upset that Home Depot didnt act proactivly and tell consumers that purchased a LG fridge Burn model with the Home depot Credit card that hey - you might want to keep the number to teh fire department handy.... Any way the customer service manager told me that it was the first complaint that she had ever heard about LG lights staying on and cooking the fridge contents... Has anyone else called Home Depot to let them know there is a problem ???

• mfwaldner_fewpb_net
    13 years ago

We also bought an LG French Door refrigerator two years ago and from the first the ice maker could not really keep up with demand. We could and did adjust to that but then it would stop making ice altogether. Since I am a DYI/handyman I took the icemaker out to see what was the problem and initially could not find anything wrong but when I did the ice started working again. This problem kept repeating and getting more frequent till I discovered that the water inlet nipple was freezing over and when I would take the unit apart it would defrost and work again for awhile. Thinking the defrost cycle was not working correctly I was going to call service when I noticed there is a plastic cap that covers the area where the water inlet is located. As a test I removed this plastic cover which allowed the water inlet to get more air flow. As of now the problem is solved, in fact the icemaker has never worked better since the first day we had it. I believe this is just poor engineering. The plastic cover kept the water inlet to cold and it would freeze up. Hope this helps others out there. The plastic piece is held on by one screw and takes a couple of minutes to take off.

• rosemaryk4_excite_com
    13 years ago

I just happen to know an appliance repair man and when I told him I was looking to buy a LG refrigerator, he shook his head NO! He told me LG has a problem with the capillary tube that carries the refrigerant always cracks, another name for it is the line set. He said once this line cracks, say good-buy to your refrigerator because it can't be replaced, you'll need a whole new refrigerator. He recommended a GE. So now I have to research GE. I'm sure glad I found this site. God must be with me.

• krussell_communityharbor_com
    13 years ago

To prevent LG Refrigerator Fire Danger, unscrew and remove the entire light fixture, lens, bulb sockets metal shield --Everything. Purchase a 110V dual LED fixture from home Depot. Pull the cover around the LED Lenses and unscrew the assembly. You can then modify the LED fixture by shortening the unit so it will fit nicely inside the recess at the top of the refrigerator. Cut a small hole and feed the two wires to the 110V plug through the hole so it will mate with the socket that the LG light assembly plugs into. Clip the LG plug off of the LG light assembly and solder the two leads to the pigtail and plug that comes with the home depot LED light display. Affix the shortened LED unit with two short pieces of peel-and-stick into the shallow recess where you had removed the LG light assembly. The new light burns all of 2.8 watts instead of the 120 watts that LG designed into their refrigerator originally. The lights will turn off when the doors are closed. The only lost feature is that if the doors are left open, the lights won't go out because the cheap thermostat that LG put into their light fixture is gone, but so what, NO MORE DANGER OF FIRE. The added benefit is that you now have more headroom as the new LED fixture is flush with the refrigerator ceiling. This is the design that LG should have engineered in the first place.

• divimann_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Wow ...didn't know so many problems existed with LG fridge
    below link is my present problem

http://lglifenotgoodpplianceproblem.blogspot.com/2011/03/lg-appliance-problem-lifes-good-good.html

• cnospam_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Today I opened my LG LFC25760 refrigerator bought new in 2006 and smelled the burning plastic of the light assembly. I immediately took out the bulbs which prevented total disaster. Add me to the "Never Again LG" club.

• joannebilodeau_telus_net
    13 years ago

Just found LG fridge French doors, lower two draw freezer model # LMX25988ST. Anyone else had problems with fridge. Seams everyones having problems with older fridges different models. Any feed back would be great. Thanks

• clkgriswld_AOL_com
    12 years ago

I purchased the french door refrigerator from sears in 2008. Got a notice from LG about the energy upgrade-they sent me the part and Sears came to install. when they left, I noticed a large dent in the right door. After repeated calls and visits by various people they finally replaced the door. This happened in April 2009. Occaisionally the refrigerator would freeze everything and we would need to throw it all out. Now the refigerator stays at 20 degrees no matter what it is set at. LG will do nothing(talked to Ruben in service) They refer you to Sears - I will not have sears in my home unless they come packing a 45 calibre weapon!!!!!! I am going to junk this thing unless someone has a better idea.

• sdelahoyde_netscape_net
    12 years ago

We bought an LG (Kenmore) 795-77304600 on 11/24/06. Within a very short time, naturally just after the warranty period ended, a cheap little plastic latch on the top of the right-side door broke. It was obviously a very poor design, and would cost hundreds to replace. I wrote to the CEO of Sears and complained, which resulted in a free repair--very involved--had to take apart a lot of the door to replace the 15-cent part. Now the unit has stopped cooling and I think we'll just junk it rather than attempt to have it fixed. My choice of servicemen, found on Angie's list, said Sears was the only source of immediate service as far as he knew--said they would be the only ones with replacement parts available on their trucks. But today is Friday and they can't be here until late Monday. Our last refrigerator, a Whirlpool, was still running fine after 30-plus years. This LG is the only one ever needing repairs in the lifetime of my family. We will never buy another of their products.

• newstang79_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I work on these, horrible to work on and getting parts is a nightmare. These and samsung are both Korean companies and they are built to get out of warranty and that is about it. If you get 5yrs it would be very exceptional

• henry_loumax_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My meltdown happened yesterday; I was totally unaware there had been an ongoing problem. I did some Google research and found these and other complaints. A class-action lawsuit was filed in New Jersey last September. See http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/723-lg-refrigerator-class-action-lawsuit-
    and the link to the full case filing.
    Hooray! Maybe we'll get some action!

• toddallen
    12 years ago

I manage an appliance store that carries all the leading brands. I must say that we don't have any more problems out of one than the others. I do like LG when it comes to their laundry products but tend to like Samsung or GE (which is made by Samsung) when it comes to French door refrigerators. GE is going to start making their own in 2012 and are suppose to introduce features never before available in a refrigerator. Just remember when it comes to a problem the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Also, if there is a consumer help person in your town whether it be a newspaper columnist or TV personality, contact them with your problem. I know when one of those people write me or contact me we take care of the problem at whatever expense because it usually means some good publicity. I have a web-site telling all the great features from the leading manufacturers on new 4 door refrigerators at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: what makes 4 door refrigerators GREAT!

• LGfridgeowner
    11 years ago

I am seeking damages related to medical outcomes from this refrigerator.
    I am a parent trying to organize other parents.
    If your family has developed GI problems, autoimmune issues, autoinflammatory disorders, subsequent to owning this malfunctioning refrigerator, please contact me.
    We need to unite, in order to be heard by doctors, and lawyers.

jreyner@rochester.rr.com

• sandy2840
    11 years ago

I have had the lg lrfd22850 refrigerator for a number of years, and I would NEVER BUY LG again. Right before the warranty expired, my refrigerator stopped working. I lost all my food and hundreds of dollars of refrigerated medication for diabetes. It took what seemed like hundreds of hours on the phone to get it fixed, and then finally get a check for $250 for the loss of food and medicine -- way less than what it was worth. Less than a year later, the same thing happened. It had something to do with the fan in the freezer. Not only wouldn't they fix it again, but they were really nasty. I had to pay. Then, a year later, I had to pay for a new motor for the ice maker. I thought I had a lemon, but now seeing this forum, I see it wasn't just my refrigerator that sucks. I tell everyone I know to stay away from LG appliances because their customer service sucks.

• lwoods111
    11 years ago

We purchased our LG FLX31925ST in July 2011 (not quite 14 months ago) and, though it's a huge and beautiful machine, it's been in need of major repairs twice already, one of which occured just two weeks after the warranty expired, OF COURSE.... AND, which was the same issue that had already been repaired the first time while under warranty. Not exactly sure what all they did the first time around. Once we finally convinced LG that we wanted a repair person to be sent out to look at the fridge (this took some major arguing -- they were insistent that we just needed to unplug the fridge for half a day or longer...) the repair guy said he'd been making the exact same repairs on all of these fridges. Unfortunately, the "fix" only made the fridge make it 2 weeks beyond the warranty before having the exact same issue. (Instead of making ice, the water intended to go into the ice maker to freeze instead shot out the ice maker and flooded our floor every 30 to 45 minutes... Nice.....) Now tonight, 6 weeks beyond the warranty going out, the fridge is making the same sound as an automobile makes when the fan belt is going out. The noise stops when we open the doors, but as soon as we close them, the loud noise returns. I called LG's customer support and, other than understanding that the rep wants me to unplug the unit for several hours to defrost it, I couldn't understand a word the guy said because his first language and my language are obviously not the same. ugh....... I have to say that I will never buy LG again. I understand there will be problems with appliances from time to time, however, I also expect thse appliance companies to provide adequate customer service for their customers.

• bshef
    11 years ago

Will NEVER purchase anything LG again!
    Ever since our LG front loading washer turned into a very large expensive Boat Anchor....!

• lwoods111
    10 years ago

UPDATE May 2013: I see my last post was in September -- just 8 months ago. And we now have yet ANOTHER problem with this beautiful LG fridge. Now we have NO water and NO ice and the same error message we got when this happened the first time (first of many times now...) Our experience with our LG appliances has been ridiculous. We've had issues with the fridge, washer AND dryer within the first year to 14 months. I am done with LG appliances! I won't even bother to call them this time because they have the worst and rudest customer service I've ever dealt with.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I bought mine in 2007 and it's broke again!
    I have the LFD22860SW
    What a beautiful hunk of junk. Within the 1st 6 months it almost caught on fire. Light bulb issues.
    6 months later same thing happened again!!!
    Also the ice maker over flows, not that big of deal, but just one more straw on the camels back, so to speak. Then the right side door hinge thing, the part that hold it closed broke, then the plastic center shelf cracked, then the drawer edges cracked. It's not like we're slamming food around or putting bowling balls in there. Then It turned it's self off. Ugh!!!
    Then it worked fine for about 1 yr???
    We redid the kitchen floor and when we moved the frigde back into place, it wont turn on. We checked the plug the outlet, alls good. Stupid thing wont turn on. :(
    I think it's jealous of the new dishwasher. lol

I filed a complaint with the company today. I asked the rep if they have a lot of complaints about this fridge and she said "no, no complaints" I almost laughed at her. I asked if it was recalled and she said "no". I'm wondering if she lied about that too. I told her I wanted to file a complaint about it and she said "well, that's going to take quite a bit of your time to do that"
    What the heck was she trying to pull??? I just said "I have the time." I swear I could hear her rolling her eyes through the phone. It only took about 20 minutes.
    She was doing her job and she wasn't rude, but I could tell she didn't want to file the complaint.
    Sorry I just needed to rant.
    If anyone else would like to file a complain, Please call 800-243-0000
    I think they add up to a recall. Not sure about that, but I'm hoping.
    :) Laura

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I also had the burning refrigerator problem and I am very unhappy with my LG lousy good for nothing refrigerator. I lost 3 weeks of work, two full loads of food in my refrigerator and aggravation. I will tell in more details after my tax deadline ends.

• Peekabooh
    10 years ago

Im having the same problem with my lg fridge. It took a month to finally get the thing fixed. Now i have to beg to get a refund on the food i lost. Everytime i call and ask for the form i need to fill out, they tell me it's on the way. When i say i havnt received it they say they are sending another one. Talked to a consumer relations rep, she said she will type it up now and send it out today. Still waiting. I have a contract that they will not honor. I went on their website and sent an email 3 times and was finally told "this is not their department".

• Lisa_59
    10 years ago

Well I wish I would have looked here before I purchased my LG (LRSC26923SW) about 5 years ago, because last night I was the last one up in my house and I could smell something burning. Guess what it was my LG refrigerator. I panicked and unplugged it but smoke continued to come out of it so I unscrewed the plate on the back and sprayed it with my fire extinguisher....What a mess!

The repair tech is here now and after reading this forum I don't know if I will have it fixed. I didn't know that refrigerators could catch fire...Hello!

If anyone else has had this happen I would like to hear from you.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

LG would not replace the food that I lost with two full refrigerator and freezer full of food as the refrigerator burned up twice in a week! Once a week passed, I thought the $300 repair fixed the refrigerator but the repair guy came back and told me about the class action suit against LG and I should now get them to do the repair. I kept sending pictures of how bad the lining of the refrigerator was and that I had the fire department here but they could care less and took over a week to come by to fix it and I do not trust the refrigerator so I have a temperature reading instrument inside of it now and a surge protector on it that will turn off the refrigerator if it senses a fire again!

I wish I never fixed the refrigerator the first time and bought a new one!

• laszlo1970
    9 years ago

LG = laughing Gremlins - long story short - all of our LG appliances have died within 6 years of purchase. Microwave, Fridge, etc. etc. everything. I strongly recommend not to purchase anything from LG. Our LG fridge is a biggest nightmare (most expensive item) and it is so bad its not even funny. From clumsy breaking shelf brackets (each one is about $50.00 to replace - parts alone) a malfunctioning ice maker, to breaking of the water dispenser, faulty temperature control, etc. It is so bad, it feels like a bad Chinese replica of a working unit. Sad part about it is, I paid $1,299 for it during a sale. I bought all LG products after a Lowe's sales person strongly recommended it. Well I'd like to go back and shove it up to him but He is long gone. Maybe some other buyers have strangled him ?

Stay away from LG if you want a working appliance.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

LG does not mean life is good. Life is NOT good if you buy an LG refrigerator. I also before the two almost fires from my refrigerator bought to big LG washer and dyers and I am not happy that I can not see anything on them except for the digital chosen item. I have to use a flash light. The units are 1.5 years old. LG- Laughing Gremlins is cute or Lousy Good for Nothing Refrigerator. I hope they improved their refrigerators as they sure look nice. I think people are happy with their TV's and Cell Phones. They know how to make pretty appliances.

• Dmitry Chulkov
    8 years ago

more info about LG here http://mans.io/brand/LG

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

I'm sorry you are all having such problems with your LG refrigerators. I have had mine, a french door, bottom drawer unit for over 10 years and I have never had one issue with it. It's been the best refrigerator I've had. We've actually ordered a counter depth one in this same style for our new house.

We also have the largest, top loading LG washer and largest dryer that you can buy and I love them. We've had them for almost three years and again no issues. We plan to take them to our new house.

I had a great response from their customer service when I ordered a replacement gasket for the refrigerator, which had ripped due to our neglect.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, but only to point out that there are some happy LG appliance owners out there.

• Katrina Tate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was researching another issue with my current LG refrigerator and came across this. We just sold our LG lfc25760sw after 9 years and had this exact issue, the lights stayed on when the refrigerator was closed. My husband repaired it. I had no idea there had been a class action until now. I wish I had researched it at the time, but we bought it used from a friend who I presume never had the lighting issue.

• htc2015
    8 years ago

Corie Hall, thankfully someone didn't have a horrid experience and lose money! Wish I could say the same. Life is NOT good is what LG stands for in my view. Over $1,000. in clothes ruined. THREE dryers to date. NO response from LG other than to say their reseller should address it. The reseller, Sears, points to LG. They won't get on the same call to sort it. LG customer service manager was outright rude. Service tech gave me the bulletin number to reference for the known issue and LG denies it, wanted to know how I got it. If LG addressed the issue versus dodging, I wouldn't complain. Things break. But being sold a non working product and then the manufacturer walking away from it is not what should happen. LG does this to many people, it isn't isolated. I purchased a Frigidaire fridge last week after testing their customer service prior to doing so. Crossing my fingers. I won't buy another LG product.

• 11danielsa
    8 years ago

Ours caught fire too. melted the light bulb things and the plastic cover. scared me to death. I would never have an lg again

• sue nyc
    8 years ago

Oh goodness. I just bought an LG fridge (a frenchdoor, no water maker, 31 cu feet) from best buy over the holidays. Are they still having the melt down/fire problem or has this been fixed!?!?

• eshmh
    8 years ago

I don't think so. Even if the issue is not fixed, your fridge likely uses LED lighting. No melt down/fire if the lighting is on all the time.

• tony_rey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thought I make a comment on something I found in relations
    to the inside bulbs staying on and possibly causing overheated compartments or
    even a fire on LG refrigerators. I have a Kemore refrigerator which is made by
    LG and I'm having problems with my freezer fan not coming on. Replaced the fan
    and found out that the fan was good all along and that it was a problem with
    the electronic control board (PCB). In the process of troubleshooting the
    problem I bought the wiring schematic of this particular refrigerator and came across
    an issue with the wiring schematic. When I physically dismantled the middle
    refrigerator vent and cool air track where the light bulb is mounted I found a
    thermal switch sensor mounted against the light bulb compartment. This thermal
    switch sensor is not depicted in the wiring schematic. I believe this was an
    after modification that was done. The thermal switch sensor should act as a
    safeguard against the light bulb compartment getting too hot and there by
    shutting off the circuit (current) to the light bulb. Evidently LG has been working
    at fixing the problem of the bulbs staying on while the doors of the
    refrigerator are closed. Now the only thing to do is find out if the
    refrigerator you have or are contemplating on buying has been modified with the
    thermal switch. Hope this helps.

• Russ Browne
    4 years ago

Well 13 years after the original comment complaining about LG refrigerators being unreliable the data now shows that across a wide spectrum of appliances LG is now at the top of the reliability list which is what the sales clerks at Home Depot told me, that LG's tend not to come back for servicing whereas Samsung's do. I am considering buying the 30 inch LG french door fridge over the Kitchenaid which has more features for about 300 dollars more but the LG has the new linear compressor technology which is more energy efficient and has a 10 year warranty on it but Kitchenaid's compressor is probably ok but LG's is considered to be the best now. It a big job researching all of these issues.

• Robin Dillon
    4 years ago

Do purchade LG! We bought a new house 4 years ago and decided to go with LG for all of our appliances. We are in the process of replacing everything... We got the extended warranty with the appliances. The fridge we actually gave to a friend for parts, after the third service call.
    Dishwasher- LDF7774ST always stinks doesn't dry the dishes.
    Dryer- model DLEX56680V they actually gave us a check after the 4th service call..
    Double oven- the knobs are so lose if you bumb it the stove will turn on. We had to get safety knobs. The food doesn't cook properly I the oven. The stove takes forever to heat up.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022