SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtpiano

New Construction Energy Efficiency (Air Sealing)

jtpiano
10 years ago

My family and I have been going through the process of choosing a new home builder over the last several months. We are located in the Huntsville AL area. We have chosen our builder and plan. I would like very much to air seal the home during construction to help improve efficiency of the home overall.
We have chosen a plan that is approximately 3750 sq ft in a 1/12 story construction. About 3000 ft are downstairs and the remaining 750 are bonus space located over the central portion of the home above the living room. I asked the buider what sort of insualation they use and if I could pay for an upgrade. Unfortunately I am stuck with standard fiberglass and I can't upgrade (I presume it will be kraft paper backed as well)
I am sure many will say fiberglass is not so great (and not my first choice either) but I need to do the best I can with what I have.
Given this constraint I thought my best bang for the buck would be to air seal the home while it is being built.
I have thought to go two different directions on this-
#1 DIY
#2 Pay a contractor to come in during different phases of the build.

If I go the DIY option I'd love to hear your tips and suggestions. I have been doing a LOT of reading on the subject and feel confident I can catch about 90% of the items that require attention.

I have just started to explore finding a contractor in the area that can do the work. Any thoughts on this are also appreciated.

Please let me know if there is more information needed to help give a more precise answer for my situation. Thanks all in advance! :-)

Comments (16)