SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Eliminating a vaulted ceiling?

mrspete
11 years ago

Things about us: We are almost empty-nesters building a retirement home. We're set on this plan, but we will be flip-flopping the kitchen /dining room, and we will be adding a walk-through pantry/mudroom that'll be a connection to the garage. (The garage that appears in the back of the house will be moved to the side -- more appropriate for our land.)

Question of the day: I'm wondering about the possibility of eliminating the vaulted ceiling from the great room. I like but do not love the vault. I like the look of that little circular window, and I would like a big fireplace towering up to the top, but I would not enjoy a cold room!

I know that vaulted ceilings are expensive to build and expensive to heat. This room isn't huge, and it does have plenty of windows, so I don't think it'd be claustrophobic without the vault.

If we did this, it'd just be storage upstairs, which would open off the bedroom. Note that we don't have an attic. It might just be a monster-sized closet off the bedroom with storage for seasonal decorations, etc.

Would you build the vault or not? Why, or why not?

Clearly, I'm waivering on this topic and am very uncertain.

Comments (13)