SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

SubZero vs. Miele

plllog
15 years ago

I had to put off my remodel and it seems some of my choices are changing. Today I saw the Miele 30" refrigerator, and narrow freezer, and I really liked them!

I read the threads about the Miele that have been posted so far, but do any of you have any more to say about them?

I was going to get the SZ integrated as the best compromise. I loved the old over-under, but don't like the interior of the new one at all. It feels rattly. And the door doesn't open far enough, especially on flush mount/integrated. But I didn't like anything else I'd seen and grew up with SubZero and loving it.

Differences Miele vs. SZ, and vs. BSH:

The door opens! Okay, same as BSH, but my big gripe with SZ is that it went from nearly 180 degree opening to hardly more than 90, especially in integrated/flush. The Miele was in a full cabinetry mount and there weren't any appreciable cracks (a la SZ), yet the door opens completely out of the way of the box. (I think they say 115 degrees.) More than just the angle, the euro hinge appears to slide the door over a bit (that's probably an illusion, but it just doesn't have that crowded feel).

Full depth drawers on bottom are a good place to store larger trays (simliar to SZ integrated top drawer), are clear like the new models, but feel very secure. They extend fully.

The door shelves are entirely clear except for the top rim, and feel much more solid. They aren't wide, however, and won't hold jugs. (I don't use them.) The dairy box is very similar to SZ, but is open the whole way across. I can't remember is this also true on the 36". The 36" SZ (the ones I'm comparing to) it has three dividers (up from two on the 60's and 80's versions I've lived with. It is also all clear.

I don't usually like 100% clear because it seems flimsy, but the Miele are thick enough to have the same solid feeling I like.

I didn't realize until I read it here that this was the same configuration as the BSH. Every time I've looked at the Thermador or Gaggenau, I haven't liked them. The biggest difference is that the shelves are rimmed like the SZ. And that makes all the difference.

The lighting is amazing. Looking in the empty box it seems like overkill, but wow! There are two halogen appliance lights on each side at each approximate shelf level.

I like the deli drawer too. It feels right, somehow, and I also like it better than the SZ's. And online it's described as "floating" so I'm wondering if it can't be raised and lowered like a shelf. That would be great!

The freezer has wire baskets instead of solid plastic like the others on the lower drawers and door shelves (good for cooling air flow!). The door baskets pop out of their rims, too. I'm not sure why, but I like that. I keep thinking of things to do with that feature.

Unlike the Gaggenau, (and I think the Thermador), the icemaker isn't a big hulk in the center of one of the shelves. That's the biggest thing that turned me off to Gaggenau freezer. I'm extrapolating a little since they only had the 18" and over/under, but it looks, from those and the drawings in the brochure, like the ice maker is to one side, and isn't as big. Even if that isn't quite right, there seems to be plenty of shelf space above and below it.

It can't hurt that they're as quiet as people here say too!

Thanks to all who have posted about these so far, and I hope you'll comment here as well, on how you like them. I have to say, rather than being bothered that there is shared technology with BSH, I'm actually relieved. I'm not generally an early adopter. I don't know about the effectiveness and durability of the cooling zones (and WiFi!), but at least the rest of the works are established and of good repute :)

I'm going to go check out the rest of the line at the showroom, but I'm already half convinced to get 30" and 30" rather than the 36" and 27" SZ. Those sizes are better for me too! It seems like the Miele are what I wanted the SubZero to be. :)

Please let me know what you think!

Comments (8)