SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Disappointed with local appliance stores

joaniepoanie
12 years ago

Have been shopping for several weeks at local stores (not the big box stores, but small, local chains or independents). I expected prices to be higher than the internet, but also expected some honest discussion/answers about the models I am considering and was willing to pay a bit more to support local businesses. At one store when I mentioned I had read reviews (here on GW) that the side vent on KA dishwashers has warped/discolored adjacent cabinets I was told that the vent is "closed" and is not a problem. When my husband asked why KA would bother putting a closed vent in which wouldn't serve any purpose, the answer was by law/EPA/energy Star regulations they have to put in a vent, even if they close it off. At a family-owned store which has been in business for years and their flagship brand has always been GE, I related how I had read negative reviews about the offset burners on some gas models and the complaint is you can't have two large pots on as the burners are too close together.....he had no clue the burners were offset!! I had to point it out in the catalog. This was the owner, not some random salesperson. Then he says"the people on the Internet don't know what they are talking about" to which I replied that the reviews were by people who actually own the stoves and cook on them everyday. He also pooh-poohed the side vent on the dishwasher and suggested I just keep the cabinet polished.

Looks like I will order from the Internet and hope for the best. At least i'll be paying less!

Comments (10)