SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Never had Pop-Up Problems, Now I'm inundated with them!

ladyamity
14 years ago

I'm baaaaack! *grin*

Hi Everyone!

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 1

A1710N HP

32-bit Operating System

AMD Athlon

64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+

2.00 GB

2.20 GHz

Using Verizon Fiber Optic through Router from son's bedroom/main computer

AOL 9.1

IE 8

Windows Firewall

Windows Defender

Free AVG

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

You might not need all the information above but I included it in case it will help in responding to my Pop-Up situation.

I've never had a problem with Pop-Ups.

I mean, I'd get the occasional pop-up that would slip in ....maybe three or four in a week, sometimes a whole week would go by without seeing a single pop-up.

I've always just used the Pop-up control settings in IE and the separate Pop-up control settings that are included with AOL.

I hadn't used Windows Update in a couple months and noticed there was now a very long list of updates that needed to be installed.

I did not install updates that I would never use i.e. programs for creating videos, titling CDs, etc.

Even though the Windows update listed Service Pack 2, when I check my computer's information on the control panel it still states Service Pk 1.

But that's the least of my problems.

Ever since I updated Windows last Monday, I have been inundated with pop-ups!

More here at GW (I am on the Decorating Forum almost daily) than any other site online.

I can't make a single click of the mouse here at GW, at PhotoBucket, at WebShots, MySpace.....the main sites I visit daily, without having to click Out of a Pop-up before I can continue browsing the page.

I click another page on the same site and another pop-up.

I've double-checked all my pop-up settings, turned off the computer and started from scratch....there is absolutely nothing different about my computer, nothing added, nothing removed, that would cause this change in the way my Pop-ups are controlled.

In other words, everything is exactly the same with the exception of the Windows Update I installed last Monday.

In desperation, after trying everything I know to try, tonight I used RESTORE. I used last Saturday as my restore point thinking it would remove anything that was added during the Windows Update that is causing all the pop-up problems.

Nope.

Didn't work.

Even with the Restore, everything on my computer is running great...no problems, except those pesky pop-ups!

Here on GW's Decorating Forum it's the big, red Macy's ad that covers most of the discussion page...every single click of my mouse brings up the Macy's pop-up.

Other sites i.e. Photobucket, Myspace, etc. have a variety of pop-ups with each click of the mouse.

Can any of you suggest something else to try to eliminate these aggravating pop-ups?

Any suggestions will be much, MUCH appreciated!

Comments (2)