SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bommai

Should I build a balcony above a porch

bommai
14 years ago

We are building our first new home in Florida with the backyard overlooking a lake. It is a two story home. There is a screened in porch in the back with sliding door entry from the family room. The builder is in the process of framing the second floor when some one suggested building a balcony on the second floor above the porch. The entry to the balcony will have to be from our master bedroom. My wife liked the idea since she would have a nice view to come out to and may be sit and relax. My builder says he can put a trussed roof over the second floor and put outdoor tile on the second floor. They have to strengthen the footers for the porch, and remove the roof trusses from the first floor and move them to the second floor, put floor trusses for the second floor. The cost for this upgrade is $12k. The house price on contract right now is $316k already. We have to make a decision on this by Monday!!! My builder says I will have to pay cash for this change because he does not want to risk having an appraisal problem if he just increased the price of the house. I don't really have the $12k right now. I have saved 20% for the downpayment. What to do?

Comments (16)