SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xoxosmom_gw

Ge Cafe appliance opinions?

xoxosmom
16 years ago

I have been agonizing over new appliances and just when I though I decided on the GE Cafe line of appliances I took a in real life look at the range and dishwasher. First the range has plastic knobs that feel quite flimsy and the model on the floor had scratches on the long burner plate. It got me to wondering if the inside of the stovetop is going to look bad after awhile? How easy is it to clean? Also anybody with this range do the knobs bother you? As far as the dishwasher I was dissapointed to see that it doesn't have fold down tines. Are these truly useful or just a fluf feature?

Are there any other Prostyle look appliances in the same pricepoint I should check out? As always your input is appreciated.

Comments (118)

• annerc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We bought the complete Cafe line (Fridge, OTR micro, AG range and dishwasher). I have filled the automatic soap dispenser and used the dishwasher several times! LOTS of room to fit tall glasses and plenty of large bowls, pans, etc. The first couple of times I ran it though, the glasses were cloudy. Now, they are coming out beautiful!

The OTR micro works super! It's like a mini computer in your kitchen. It has every option you can think of for sensor cooking food. Lights the stove up well by using the nightlight.

The range heated up quickly for me. Used the convection bake and roast a couple of times. The fan is barely audible, unless you are trying to hear it. Even asked Hubby if he heard anything in the kitchen one day, he said no!

The refrigerator is nice solid sized! We are just getting use to having a side-by-side style.

We are VERY pleased with our purchases!! Just wondering how you all are cleaning the stainless?

Thanks for all the advice before buying too!!

• curlywillow
    16 years ago

Annerc,

I'm using Pledge Stainless Steel Wipes because I already had a package. They took the installers fingerprints, tape marks, etc. off like a charm and left a nice shiny surface with no residue.

The installers said no ammonia-based products. They are lots of stainless cleaners out there. I'd like to hear others opinions on what's the best.

Congrats on your new appliances!

• Related Discussions

GE Cafe Appliances

Q

Comments (6)
    My low end recent model GE oven/microwave unit is great. And awesomely ugly. The Cafe appliances are very attractive. I know there is at least one persom whose name I forgot on the kitchen forum who installed a Cafe range. If nobody here has experiences with it, check there (if you haven't already). (My GE dishwasher, also quite new, died. Didn't try to get it fixed since I wanted to get dish drawers anyway so I don't know how bad it was.)
    ...See More

GE Cafe gas range opinions?

Q

Comments (31)
    Do not buy the GE Cafe Stove/Range!!! Nothing but problems..... I bought the GE Cafe all gas range in May. First time I used the oven, it shut off automatically. No error code displayed - just the digital clock was illuminated. This same problem occurred over and over again - at 350, 375, 400, and 425 degrees. Sometimes it would shut off in the pre-heat cycle, but mostly while I was baking or cooking dinner. Incredibly frustrating and a few baking recipes were ruined. Repair Technican came out - said needed new control panel. But the panel was back ordered. GE replaced the stove under warranty at the end of June. We were away for all of July and August. Started using the new range beginning of September. This 2nd GE Cafe stove is even worse than the first one - this range has 5 problems. 1) This oven also shuts off automatically while trying to bake something in the oven. Cancel button has not been touched - often goes off when I am out of the room - so I know it wasn't accidentally stopped. 2) All six knobs across the front have melted - they all need to be replaced. But I wonder if the replacements will melt as well in the future??? I have never broiled - and GE thought I had this problem because I had broiled something. Realistically - I should be able to broil without the knobs melting! 3) One of the burner knobs turns on whenever you touch it - you don't have to push it in to ignite the pilot - it turns on with a mere touch - very dangerous as it can be turned on without you realizing it. 4) The oven door does not line up properly - there is a larger gap on one side compared to the other 5) Gas leaks out of one of the top burners - even when the indicator knob is in the 'Off' position! So we now have the stove disconnected because we don't want gas leaking into the kitchen and house. GE wants to repair all the problems. But the Control Panel is still on back order and won't be here until the middle of November - it was ordered on Sept. 17th. So I don't have a working oven until the middle of November and that is only if it arrives on time - they won't guarantee arrival of the back ordered part. The valve to stop the gas leak is supposed to arrive at the end of next week - so another week without a stove or cooktop. Can't run the gas because it leaks until new valve is installed. I wish I had never bought this piece of junk. And I am not the only person experiencing these problems - many others have documented the same issues. Why doesn't GE fix this before they keep selling this defective model to unsuspecting customers???
    ...See More

Opinions on GE Cafe double oven gas range? Xpost from Kitchens

Q

Comments (2)
    The mother-in-law installed GE Cafe as part of her kitchen remodel 3 years ago. Gas range, OTR microwave, and 'fridge. The 'fridge died after 20 months and GE was kind enough to replace it for $700. Last month the $650 control board on the microwave went (GE isn't willing to do anything about that). So far the range has been trouble free. Personally, I wouldn't buy a GE appliance again.
    ...See More

GE Cafe Appliances

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a GE Cafe Double oven and cook top that I LOVE. I will say that when testing out appliances in the store, the double oven also seemed to stick and feel difficult to open. The salesperson said the same thing- that it was due to being on the sales floor over a year with people constantly opening it. Low and behold, my oven opens perfectly. That being said, I went with ALL GE appliances due to a large employee discount that we get. I did avoid the fridge however. I have not heard great things about GE and fridges so I thought best to avoid. I did go with the Kitchen Aid French door fridge. It is the best appliance in my kitchen and I love my Cafe cooktop and ovens.
    ...See More
  • tom_g_dc
    16 years ago

I just went to check out the Cafe range at Best Buy and was acutally pretty disappointed. The knobs seems really flimsy for a $2500 appliance? It seems like such a strange choice... how much could nice knobs cost? Am I being too superficial? I haven't seem an American Range or Blue Star RCS in person but I think you can get them for not a lot more. Admittedly they don't have nearly the feature set of the Cafe but is the build quality a lot better? I feel like my $349 Weber grill is a lot better built just based on the few superficial minutes I spent with the Cafe at BB.

• dd70
    16 years ago

Annerc-there was a thread re cleaing stainless in kitchen board. Like you, I use pledge, I discoverd it by reading the back of the can one day, tried it and what do ya know, It works better than any cream or spray I have ever tried, no streaks!

• mawgoo
    16 years ago

After searching this past year for a new gas stove, my husband found the GE Cafe at Home Depot. I am happy the oven racks can be cleaned in the self-clean oven and more thrilled that the grates can be cleaned like wise. Not only did Home Depot match Sears sale price plus the 10% off, but their extended service warranty was cheaper. Sears was around $380 and Home Depot was around $80. Give or take a few dollars, I can't remember exactly, but the difference was huge. We normally don't get the extended warranty, but this past year we purchased a Bosch DW which sat in our garage unopened waiting for our island to be build and when it was installed it did not work. Needed a new control panel.

I agonized over DF or AG and finally went with the AG, not because it was $100 cheaper, but I was very happy with my previous gas oven and liked how my home-made breads came out. Our new stove will be delivered next week and I can't wait. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

mawgoo,

i don't know if this is true or not, but a sears salesman told me no oven rack should really be kept inside the oven while it's self-cleaning. there were two reasons, but i only remember this one: the metal of the rack expands when heated to that high a temperature and can chip the enamel of the oven walls if it expands into it.

again, don't know if this is true or not. i guess people who have tried it will know....

• mawgoo
    16 years ago

I heard the same thing. It's the grates that I don't want to clean. My old ones were gray and I spent too much time trying to keep them clean.

• aplerove
    16 years ago

To anyone who may be considering purchasing GE Cafe (or Profile) appliances. On GE's rebate form it says purchases from Best Buy are not eligible for the rebate promotion.

Both AG & DF grates and oven shelves, according to the owner's manual, may be left in the oven during self-clean. Personally I wont be putting my grates through a self-clean as Im afraid in how it might alter the appearance. Grates may also be placed in the dishwasher.

DF shelves will darken, lose their luster and become hard to slide.

AG & DF - If the shelves become hard to slide, apply a small amount of vegetable oil or cooking oil to a paper towel and wipe the edges of the oven shelves with the paper towel. Do not spray with Pam® or other lubricant sprays.

The griddle will discolor over time as it becomes seasoned with use and should not be cleaned in the self-cleaning oven or dishwasher.

• mrsedmondson
    16 years ago

Our new GE Cafe appliances were delivered today! I bought them on sears.com, and got the 20% off and free delivery, and no sales tax! They are going to have to live in our garage until the remodel is compete. It hasn't even started yet, so we're probably two months away from installing, so I really hope I won't have any problems with any of the pieces. We went with the DF Range, DW, Micro-hood, and refrige. I can't wait to see them all in my kitchen!!!

• thomas_2008
    16 years ago

We just received our GE Cafe Dual Fuel Range yesterday, and the right front, dual stacked burner does not work properly at all. We had the LP Gas conversion kit installed, and the other burners seem to work fairly well, though the flame in the center burner stays pretty small. The right front burner, which is one of the high output burners, and is dual stacked (dual flame), only lights with a tiny flame, barely low level, and does not adjust AT ALL. It does not go on high, or medium, or anything but just 'very tiny'!
    Its sad that there seem to be so many quality problems so far, on this highly promoted, highly touted new GE Line. You call GE and they are like clerks in a hardware store...no idea what is wrong, and no one to refer you to. Huge GE Corp. has no technical assistance??? They WILL send a GE technician to look at the problem....in TWO weeks. So I spend tons of money on three major new GE Cafe appliances, take a big chance on this brand new line...and they could care less if you have big problems. We have not tested the ovens yet, and I am a little bit afraid to do so. I do not need more problems, and am angry enough already. Also the control knobs (cheap and lightweight) squeal like stuck pigs when you twist them. Very nice for a 'high end' appliance. Also our front left burner rocks slightly from side to side, and does not seat completely flat...and our installer is a pro, and tried every which way to keep it from rocking! YIKES!!!

I really do not feel like having another range carted in and assembled, so they better had be able to fix these problems! Any other issues similar out there???? Anyone using the dual fuel on LP Gas? Does anybody else have issues with these burners??? Thanks for any follow up!
    Tom

• dbk1964
    16 years ago

I bought my GE Cafe Gas Range just before Thanksgiving. I liked how it baked and how the temperature probe gave us a perfectly cooked turkey. The problems came when I tried to use the convection bake feature. Cookies took twice as long to cook at the same temp. as regular bake and subsequent batches took longer and longer and looked more dried out than baked. I bought an oven thermometer and discovered that the temp would just drop and drop after the set temp was reached. I noticed that the heating elements never came back on once the set temperature was reached but that the convection fan seemed to be fine. You could leave the door open for 5 minutes, close it and still the elements did not light. After 5 service calls and the replacement of the computer board and the temperature sensor, the oven is no better. After many calls to my dealer, GE customer service and their answer center, I have finally been given the chance to get a new stove but until now I have been told that my stove operates normally (it is suppose to take longer with european convection....maybe I should turn down the heat in the oven so the cookies cook more evenly...etc., etc.) I had also noticed problems with my burners that have been mentioned in these forums but I had thought maybe that was how the stove should function--I had not even asked GE to check that but now I see that I should have. I am hoping that the replacement stove will operate correctly but I don't have a lot of confidence in the GE techs, technical service or customer service right now....and I have almost no confidence in the Cafe range. Sadly, I really do like the look of the range and its features (if they would only work!) so I want to give it another try.

• elizabeth96
    16 years ago

We just visited our independent appliance dealer and saw the GE Cafe series for the first time. I thought they looked pretty nice but was going to wait until I checked out this forum before getting too excited.

Based on the positive feedback here, we're confident about going with the refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. But I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the range. It must be really frustrating. How much if anything did you all have to pay for the service calls? Did you buy an extended warranty, and for how much? If you had to do it all over, would you still buy it?

• dbk1964
    16 years ago

Hi Elizabeth 96,
    I have not had to pay for any of the service calls for my range; it is under warranty for a year. I did buy an extended warranty through my dealer...not GE. When the GE service tech came out, he advised me to make sure that I had an extended contract. Sounds like they get a good quantity of calls! My replacement Cafe range is coming on Friday. I do like the look of the range and its features...there is nothing comparable that I could find...hopefully they will get all the bugs out if enough of us with problems are persistant. I will keep you posted on how the new range functions. I would love to know if those folks who "love" their Cafes have used the convection bake function--if so, did you find that it took less time for something to cook, or even the same time for something to cook as it would have cooked on the regular bake function? Did you notice whether or not your heating elements came on and off during the convection baking once the oven reached the set temperature? I'm just curious.

• tlbb
    16 years ago

dbk1964: Please let us know how everything goes on Friday. I'm particularly interested in the burner function. The rest of my range seems to be o.k. Thanks.

tlbb

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

Hey all
    I have some of the same problems detailed on another GE Cafe thread- low flame on middle burner and right front burner not adjusting downwards as well as I think it should. It is OK on Power, High, 8 and 6 and then it stays the same.
    One poster mentioned adjusting the screw inside the knob shaft. I checked with a flashlight and did not see a screw- I am sure I must have the same plastic SS looking knobs as everyone else????
    Help????
    Thanks
    pjs

• kayakluv
    16 years ago

I have been using my DF Cafe range for just a few weeks. I am new to gas and am so happy to have it that BTU's are not that important to me so I wouldn't know how much you lose with propane .....I'm satisfied.

Rear burners work fine. front left (w/powerboil) has a nice flame but it flares up more on one side....the flame is not 'even' all around. I suppose I'm being picky. the tech didn't know why it was like that.

the center oval burner flame is pretty low; it doesn't seem to vary much when I turn the knob, just a tad. I haven't yet used the griddle. It's a bit disappointing because I was considering getting an oval dutch oven because since I have that burner why not use it. but I don't think the flame would be hot enough. When I have a chance to use the griddle I'll have a better idea.

the front right burner (the stacked burner) is a problem. I have NEVER had a big flame on high ; the only change when I turn the knob is I can tell when the top level of the 'stack' goes off as I lower the heat, while the bottom one stays on. so I have LO and LO+ on my POWERBOIL! the tech came out twice. the 2nd time he told me how he had to buy a set of jeweler's screwdrivers/tools on his way to my house because the adjustment on this burner is so small. I guess I'm the first with this complaint. anyway he fiddled with it and I still don't have a big flame on high; nothing changed. he's supposed to check somebody else's Cafe range and will try their right front burner to see if IT's got a big flame. pretty lame.

I'm not giving up. maybe the LP orifice got damaged somehow or maybe it needs a whole new burner. I also learned you have to keep on them! after the 1st visit the tech said he would check with GE to see if that burner has an adjustment, because it isn't the same type screw as the others. after 2 weeks I called and got the old 'he's been so jammed up, he'll give you a call this week.' So keep prodding!

the convection bake is wonderful; when you set it for convection, it automatically reduces the temp 25 degrees; the cooking time is not shortened; just the temperature. I can hear the fan but it's not objectionable. the elements do seem to cycle on and off during convection bake. I used the probe for a pork roast and it came out great; no guesswork.

I haven't yet used the lower oven, which brings up another issue.
    I had tile installed under the range because of the heat from the lower oven and the 'warning' in the manual about being careful what floor covering is under it (due to heat). the floor installer removed the lower oven drawer so he could properly butt the linoleum up to the tile.
    Don't know if anyone has had this issue, but the drawer is a BEAR to get back in. I removed the inner liner and rack to make it lighter, and with the open bottom you can see what you're doing better. I could seat the left side on the track but not the right side. I decided to have the tech show me how; HE had an awful time with getting the right side back on the track; it took him 15 minutes. I DO love how the drawer glides so smoothly once it's seated properly.
    I like having 3 grates instead of 2; easier to handle. the stovetop is very roomy for moving pots about.
    I especially like the stainless under the grates rather than the black that many stoves have; that is why I chose the Cafe; it had the features I wanted and when I walk up to it, I want to cook!

• tlbb
    16 years ago

I have a feeling that the burner problems will not be able to be fixed. I have a service call scheduled for next Saturday. I don't have high hopes. I just have to decide if I want keep it or return it and look for something else. Realy disappointing.

tlbb

• maxq
    16 years ago

tlbb, what leads you to say that the burner problem will not be able to be fixed. There are many people here, including myself, who have no problem whatsoever with their range, and their burners work fine. The entire burner assembly and control valve can be replaced if need be. As I mentioned in another post, GE has a pretty good reputation with ranges, though, like most every company in the world, apparently their customer sevice sucks. Keep the faith. Virtually every other range in the category has had issues of one kind or another, pick your poison.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

I'd like to request that, if you're writing about your Cafe range, you mention whether you have natural gas or propane. I'm wondering if problems are only with propane users. Thanks.

max, you aren't having the problem others have mentioned with the front right power burner (ie., flame not going the whole spectrum from power boil gradually down to very low, with everything in between)? Several people have mentioned this particular issue, so it seems to be more than a random problem.

tlbb, does GE or your store offer you the option to return the range? I haven't even had mine installed yet and I've had dreams about it not working right. I'm not looking forward to a drawn-out process of repeatedly having repair people out here unable to make it work right. Been there with a hot water boiler and a dishwasher. Frustrating!

As far as the convection feature goes, it also seems strange to me that it doesn't shorten the bake time. Isn't this what convection normally does?

• dbk1964
    16 years ago

Hi...just updating you with my GE Cafe (which is all natural gas)...the replacement Cafe came on Friday but we have not installed it. When I opened the box, I found circular scratch marks on either side of the stovetop similar to what someone else had decribed elsewhere on this site (3 GE Cafe Ranges...) as grinder marks as well as extremely sharp edges on the lower drawer (as in sharp enough to cut someone using the drawer). My original Cafe did not have these defects--it actually looked quite nice, just did not cook properly on convection bake (thank you to kayakluv for your response about how your stove bakes on convection--your experience proves that mine was defective--my stove's elements never came back on once the set temperature was reached, no matter how long I baked). By the way, I also had some of the burner issues with my original stove but just figured that was how it was suppose to be--the center burner only had a low flame and the front burners did not have much difference in flame size from high to low or even from Power Boil to High...and that was with Natural Gas, not propane. The back left burner would not always light right away and would sometimes go out on the low setting. So anyway, for now I have an appointment on Monday with GE service to look at the new stove to see whether or not the defective parts can be replaced. If so, we will have the parts replaced and install it. We'll see what happens now.

• kayakluv
    16 years ago

dbk1964, upon delivery, my Cafe range had a noticeable scrape/cut on the top stainless edge as well as a very sharp corner on the lower oven drawer. the main oven door also did not align properly. I told delivery guys it wasn't acceptable. they brought it back to the store (independent dealer) and replaced it with the one they had on the floor which was basically at the store a couple of weeks. This one looked ok though I think the fit and finish, i.e. workmanship, is not wonderful. there are also some tiny scratches on the stainless underneath the grates which were not noticeable until it was installed and under the bright lights of the range hood. I have decided to call them every week if I have to to get the burner issue resolved because there are several folks here who say their burners works flawlessly, and that's what I'm aiming for. If replacing the problematic burners will fix it, so be it, that's what the warranty is for.

• maxq
    16 years ago

Egganddart, yes, my range is natural gas. I do sympathize with any and all that are having issues. I've triple checked all my burners and they all work fine. I'm certainly not trying to minimalize the problem some are having. You know the difference between a depression and a recession: a recession is when your neighbor is out of a job, a depression is when you are out of a job. For those having these issues, the problem is very real, but perhaps not to epidemic proportions. I have to admit that I'm now scrutinizing everything on my range--so far so good.

• tlbb
    16 years ago

maxq: I hope the burner can be fixed, but I haven't heard of one person with these issues that has had it fixed, and the service guys don't even know it's an issue which seems amazing to me. Also, have you tried to fry anything on your griddle? Even some people who are happy with this range can't seem to do that. I really hope they can fix it, but if not it will have to go back. I won't keep something that doesn't work properly. At this point I would not recommend that anyone buy this stove. I think it has some obvious manufacturing defects.

egganddart49: I hope they take it back! Can they make me keep something that doesn't work after 2 attempts to fix it? I'm not sure about convection, but I think it's more about even cooking than fast cooking. Oh, and I'm all gas.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

tlbb, do you have natural gas or propane?

While I type this we're having the electric moved for the oven. Tomorrow the gas line will be put in, and presumably the range will be installed. I have no confidence that it's going to work well. Sad, but true.

• dbk1964
    16 years ago

One more update on the second Cafe range that I received. The service tech came out today to look at the defects in the steel. He acknowledged them and ordered new steel parts for the stove--the piece where the knobs and control panel connect plus the entire front of the lower oven drawer. One piece is on backorder until Feb. 18th and could not be installed until Feb. 20th at the earliest. He suggested I call consumer service and ask for a new stove which I did. They refused to send a replacement because the damage is cosmetic (mind you---the stove is still sitting in its box in my dining room!) and doesn't affect the function of the stove (which I cannot even determine since I cannot take a chance on installing this stove until I can be sure the pieces are indeed replaced). She told me that cosmetic defects are not even covered by the warranty after 30 days. Had I refused the stove on Friday when it came, they would have taken the stove back. Since I opened the stove after the delivery guys left the boxed stove in my dining room, found the damage and immediately called GE Service and was asked to wait until today (Monday) for someone to look at the defects....it doesn't count and they won't take it back. Meanwhile, the Supervisor at GE promised she could get the backordered part by February 8th so I only have to wait another week to have the part installed rather than two weeks (I reminded her that this is suppose to be a brand new stove!). So, I guess the conclusion of all this is that, if you are considering buying the Cafe, know what to look for, and don't let your delivery person leave without thoroughly checking every inch of the stove. The other thing I was told by the GE Supervisor is that the extended warranty I paid for when I bought the original Cafe is null and void and totally useless for the new stove. Fortunately, my extended warranty was through my dealer, not GE, and my dealer will honor the original contract....another thing to consider.

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

Repairman just left. I, too, thought the middle griddle burner was low, the right front has adjustment problems. Also asked about the vent causing the right back burner to flicker.

Repairman thinks griddle burner is OK -just low BTUS's, agrees with me on the right front; and the vent GE acknowledges is defective and will send a new fan control and duct cover for replacement. I heard the GE tech talk to repairman re the burner problems. Tech said that griddle burner is low and right front can only be adjusted for simmerwith small 3/32 flat screwdriver through the shaft.
    Repairman will order new valves for the middle burner and right front. He said might as well. Obviously if GE has figured out the vent problem, there are quirks that need to be tweaked.

Hope this helps. BTW, I ordered my Cafe in Sept. I bet it was one of the first off the belt.
    I bought it because of looks- can't believe I did so. I am normally so logical but when it comes to my kitchen remodel -- not so. Thought that because it is GE it would be ok.
    PJS

• aplerove
    16 years ago

Well I too have a problem with my right front burner where the flame remains the same between 8-6 and 2. My primary use with this burner has been power boil or high. Still, I cant believe I didnt notice this before. My Café is AG NG.

GE repairman was out this afternoon and the guy tried telling me that GE just needs to make a new knob without all the numbers and that this is the way the burner is suppose to work. Unbelievable! I told him how others on this forum were reporting the same issue along with the rear burner flickering when the cooling fan is blowing.

Repairman called GE Tech and the Tech told him that GE has redesigned the air deviator and advised him to order a new control panel and air deviator. I think we were both surprised that the control panel would need to be replaced too. Obviously the Tech knew something that the repairman didnt.

A new valve was ordered for the front right burner.

A new knob was ordered for the front left burner because occasionally Id hear a squeak when turning the knob. Fortunately, the repairman heard it when he turned the knob.

Repairman will be back out next week when he gets all the parts.

I also wanted to provide feedback on a couple of comments I read by others either here or in another thread. The following was done by a different repairman on a previous visit:

1) Rocking burner. The guy filed down one of the longer pegs underneath my burner(s).
    2) Lower drawer stuck out slightly on one side. Service guy grabbed a hold of both sides and pushed hard to one side. Drawer now looks flush.
    3) Drawer is tough to get back in. With more patience maybe Id learn to do it but I had the service guy put it back in instead. He said its tricky and he found it works better if you slide the left side in first onto the track. Didnt take him long.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Funny, my right front burner adjusts very gradually. It's my left front that doesn't. I wonder if it could be fixed -- or if it's worth it.

• stubaby
    16 years ago

I called the GE answer center to try to find out when they redesigned the Cafe Fan/electronics/whatever so that I do not end up buying one with the old flawed design. They were unable to provide such information or the starting serial number of the redesigned stove (redesigned is my word, she was not able to verify that a redesign has even taken place). I was curious if your stove is one with a "defective" burner/rear fan/whatever, could you please tell me when you took delivery of the stove? The serial number would also be helpful if you are comfortable providing it.Thanks in advance.

• aplerove
    16 years ago

eggaanddart49 Regarding your front left burner, its possible you might just need a new valve. If it were me Id call for service since youre range is still under warranty.

stubaby My range was installed back in November. Sorry but Im not comfortable in providing the serial number. Ill see if the service guy can find out anything the next time he comes out and will be sure to report back.

GE left me a phone message this afternoon saying some of the parts are on backorder and that theyll call back in 24-48 hours to reschedule the next visit.

• edeckerpc
    16 years ago

My wife and I decided to get the full line - AG NG Range, Fridge, Dishwasher, and Microwave. We purchased at Sears after seeing the series first hand at Home Depot. I'll post again once everything is installed. I was only hesitant about the range after reading all of the posts, but there are a lot of people that have been satisfied as well.

Once we decide if we want granite or soapstone countertops our kitchen reno will be complete!

Thanks everyone for posting in such detail on this site.

• ggto
    16 years ago

Can I put my GE Cafe Dual Fuel Range directly on top of my marmoleum flooring or do I need to install a heat resistant barrier 1st? I am concerned about the heat generation from the lower oven.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

ggto, I'd find out from the marmoleum dealer what temperatures it's safe to be in contact with. Then find out if the Cafe gets hot on the bottom. Actually, I'm going to turn my lower oven on and I'll feel under it when it reaches 450. It shouldn't get hot - that would be unsafe.

OK, it got to 400 and I was impatient to wait any longer (It took 20 minutes, btw). I stuck my hand in as far as I could under the stove, about 5 inches, and the floor itself was barely even warm. An inch or so above my hand was the metal bottom of the stove and it was very hot. But I think it's a heat shield, which makes a huge difference in keeping the heat off the floor. Hope this helps.

BTW, how do you like the marmoleum? I'm considering it for my kitchen.

• nodirthere
    16 years ago

I e-mailed Ge about the fact the venting is mostly out of the back right opening (during regular or convection bake)- is this why there is the flickering on the right burner I've seen on this post? Does anyone have a natural gas Cafe that vents equally along the back? They replied I would have to call and have a service tech come out- The oven temp was 25 degrees below what I set it for- even on the regular bake (I know when I set the convection it downs the degrees 25).

• yolande_1951
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great posts. I am still trying to decide whether or not to renovate> We want to do some structural changes involving a bearing wall, and the estimate for construction, granite, and cabinets came out really high.THe kitchen with the new space would be 14 ft by 14 ft. Regardless though, I will get a new stove and am still very confused given the problems people are having. Does Wolf have the same issues with quality control? I think Dacor does.
    Thanks,
    Judy

• edeckerpc
    16 years ago

Got the appliances delivered yesterday. The Microwave looks great and cooks great. The fridge is about what I expected so far. Nothing too great and nothing bad. The dishwasher was a bear for the installer to get in. Haven't run a load yet, but it was quiet when we tested it. There is a white plastic piece that is supposed to go up underneath the front - with foam on the back. I think it's extra sound proofing, but my flooring was limiting the tech's ability to get it to stay in place and line up properly. We are getting new counters in two weeks and will be able to adjust it then. It was still super quiet with just the stainless base and foam backing.

The range looks great, but it had a rubbed mark above the burner control all the way to the left. Not quite a scratch, but almost like someone took a pencil eraser and rubbed across the burner decal. So the decal is rubbed out and missing in an area and the stainless looks rubbed there too (maybe the packaging rubbed it up during shipping). The installer said they all hate all of the GE packaging and was shocked that with all the stuff they put in there that anything could happen to it. So Sears is sending someone out to see if they can just replace that front stainless facia or if they need to replace the unit.

All of the burners were burning working very well. Even the middle one. There isn't a lot of fluctuation between 4 and 9 on the front burners as others have posted. Not sure it needs it though. The front two are so huge, i'm not trying to finesse anything on them - i'll move to the back. I'll update on what Sears says on Friday when they come out.

• jwhee0615
    16 years ago

We are really interested in the Cafe line specifically the fridge, DF range and microwave. I am trying to find the best deal. When does Sears offer the multiple item discounts and does Home Depot or Lowes match this? Is there a better time of year to buy? HD is now offering 10% off with 12 months no interest and payment plus a $200.00 gift card. The prices seem to be higher though even with the 10% off than what alot of people are getting the appliances for here. Thanks for any info.

Jeff

• momelet
    16 years ago

I am wondering the same thing, jwhee0615! What stores have people used to price-match at SEARS? When does SEARS do the tiered sales (20% off 3 appliances)?
    We are also considering the fridge, DF range and microwave, but are hesitant to buy the dishwasher. What type of dishwasher are you buying?
    Someone help us out!! I want a deal!!!

• idrive65
    16 years ago

The Sears near me is having a "VIP Sale" Sunday night. (I think a warm body is all that's required to be a VIP) Check your local store. They have a new sale every week, and the salespeople there have a printout of all sales and specials for the next few months. I think Sears always does the 10-20% off three appliances, but so will local appliance dealers.

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

The wife hates noisy appliances. Drives her nuts. The cooling fan (not the convection fan) is my question.
    aplerove says it is as loud as a microwave fan. Other cafe owners please respond if you will ? Thanks.

• kayakluv
    16 years ago

darboydoughboy, my Cafe's cooling fan ran about 10 minutes after using the broiler. It was noticeable and would be annoying if it were constant, but I figure it's serving a purpose and it didn't go that long.

• kayakluv
    16 years ago

ggto:
    I have Marmoleum in my kitchen and love it. I read the warning in the manual about the floor underneath being able to withstand (I think) 180 degrees without shrinking, cracking or warping. I was going to have plywood installed underneath (one suggestion in the manual) but my floor people had some leftover ceramic tile from another job which matched my Marmoleum; they charged for labor only to install. actually I could have put any color tile because none of it shows. It's nice to have no worries about heat because I find I use the lower oven a lot.

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

Did anyone receive a Cafe range where the cooling fan (not convection fan)did not work at all ?

• badluckkid
    15 years ago

The knob issue is major! We had 4 gas leaks in our home and one was pretty scary! Just get close to the knob and it can turn on with just gas - no flame! GE recommends buying safety knobs from another site! This is the Ford Pinto all over again! No wonder GE got out of the appliance business.

• circle-5
    15 years ago

I just purchased a GE Cafe Microwave to replace my existing, 20-year old GE Spacemaker microwave (model JVM150). I selected GE based on the excellent quality of my old one, plus it had the same exhaust vent location and overall dimensions.

Big mistake. I have never seen such a miserably fragile and flimsy appliance. I'm sure GE took little bites off the quality gradually, over the past 20 years, while I wasn't watching, but what is left now is a revolting piece of junk in every relevant aspect. It weighs less than half the weight of its predecessor, and there is no way it's going to last even half as long.

Let's start with the mounting system: the old GE microwave was correctly designed to hang from its wall mounting bracket. The new Cafe bracket is so flimsy that it would tear to shreds if you tried that, so most of the support now relies on the cabinet above it. If you have strong, well-installed cabinets, there is nothing inherently wrong with that, except the outer shell of the Cafe microwave is even flimsier than its bracket! It bends and distorts its shape at all 3 mounting screws, and there is no way to make the installation look decent (unless you cut and weld stiffening plates to the case, but it is so thin that it would likely just melt away or evaporate). All these fugly stress bends and bulges are exactly at eye level (for me. I'm 5'11"). How many pennies per unit would it have cost GE to use proper gauge steel? This is shameful.

Next, let's take a look at the finish. This "beefy" commercial-looking appliance is just an illusion. The stainless steel front is literally foil-thin. I knocked a ladle handle into it and it easily dented. I expect many more dents will be unavoidable, just from normal use. It's very hard to buy a GE Cafe microwave and not feel like you've been fooled by smoke and mirrors.

The only part of a GE Cafe microwave oven that is properly built is the GE logo above the misaligned door.

I must like to suffer, because I took off the flimsy case to compare the inside of the GE Cafe microwave with its predecessor. This was easy, because several screws were already factory-stripped. Instead of the nice, well-organized interior of the JVM150, the Cafe looks like a plate of spaghetti. Flimsy circuit boards on flimsier standoffs with solder connections where there should be plug-in connectors. All you need to do is pray the bloody thing never needs service.

You would think that, at least, the electronics would be light-years ahead of the JVM-150's 20-year old design. Well, no. It still takes 16 keystrokes to enter a single, level-5 cook time. The clock still needs resetting every time the power goes off, key inputs are sluggish and the backlit keypad exists only to distract you from how horrible the rest of the product is. It always lights up, informing you, for example, that you have switched on the light (as if you were too stupid to notice the light went on.) Ugh! Meanwhile, for about 22 cents, GE could have incorporated a self-setting clock. With daylight savings.

But of course, GE Cafe isn't a product designed to make your life easier. This is cheap bling, engineered to separate impulse buyers from their money. I got caught, hook, line and sinker. Since I try to make mistakes only once, I promptly cancelled an order for other GE appliances (I'm building a new kitchen) and will never again purchase a GE appliance of any kind. Unless you like to be disappointed, I recommend you buy something else. Anything else. GE does not deserve your business. I cannot think of a way that GE could possibly squeeze one more penny out of this microwave design by making it cheaper, lighter or flimsier. GE is obviously far more concerned about shareholder profits than customer satisfaction. Let's just hope their aircraft engines and other industrial products haven't become this disastrous.

• cookie08
    15 years ago

Has anyone purchased the GE Cafe Electric range?

• garrahyd
    14 years ago

I have already issued a complaint a couple of months ago. Since then I have once again burned my hand on my microwave. I purchased a GE CAFE set a few months ago. The individual units work fine, but when the microwave is above the stove/cooktop, the problem begins. The appliances are stainless steel. When using the burner below the microwave handle, for instance boiling water for pasta, the handle becomes so hot that it burns your hand if you try to open the microwave door. I had two GE authorized technicians check the product and the heat of the handle. Both technicians said that the handle was too hot for anyone to touch. They checked the UL rating and found that the UL rating maximum is a 131 and the handle was 135 after just a couple of minutes exposure to a pot with a medium boil below it. GE Technicians called in the findings and found that although they are aware of the issue, there is no fix. GE Customer Relations have been informed about this defect and told me that the solution was for me to "use a potholder" when opening the microwave door. I have burned my hand twice on this handle and am worried that my children or anyone else in my household will get further injuries. I spent well over $3,000 on these two appliances and would either like them fixed immediately, replaced or refunded.

• geopixinc_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Two years ago, we purchased a new, counter-depth GE Cafe Refrigerator and paired it with a suite of Jenn-Aire Pro Style appliances: a Duel Fuel, Convection Range, Steam Dishwasher (stainless steel tub) and above-the-stove Microwave. We considered both the Jenn-Aire Pro Style and GE Cafe appliance suites, due to their comparable costs and features. I realize that some people might be mortified by this idea, but rather than choose between the two brands, we found a solution that gave us the best of both.

A review of our unique circumstances, thinking and shopping process may be helpful for some.

Each product line really is very nice. But at the time we needed to do our appliance upgrade, the budget prevented us from doing an entire kitchen and countertop remodel. Besides, our countertops and grout were in great shape, even though the house was 20 years-old.

Fortunately, our refrigerator isn't clustered on the same walls with the other appliances, so the minor design differences aren't really all that noticeable. In the end, we chose this unusual brand-pairing for reasons of functionality, not aesthetics. Also, I reasoned that over time, reasonable people often install different brands of replacement refrigerators in kitchens. Our solution isn't perfect, but it worked for us.

The GE Cafe line of appliances has beveled edges; the Jenn-Aire Pro Style line of appliances has straight edges. From an interior design standpoint, this is the single biggest difference between the two. The result is the Jenn-Air line has a no-nonsense, restaurant-style look; the GE Cafe line has a more graceful and stylish appeal. But both have beefy, pro-style handles and knobs and the brush-stroked finish of the stainless steel is similar. However, the GE Cafe appliance's stainless steel does take on a slightly warmer (yellowish) tint while the Jenn-Aire steel is cooler (blueish). Again, the difference is very subtle.

1. We really liked the GE Cafe refrigerator far better than the matching refrigerator for the Jenn-Aire Pro Style suite. At the time of our purchase, the refrigerator compartment in the GE model had a significantly larger capacity. This may have been because the GE model was taller. This meant it also did a better job of filling the existing cabinetry's built-in space. The GE Cafe model also made better use of the internal refrigerator space, as it had wider shelves that fully reached to each side of the compartment. The Jenn-Aire refrigerator-compartment design left unusually wide gaps between the interior shelves and the sidewalls. This mean this lower-capacity model also would be far less space efficient. Again, we were comparing the counter-depth models.

2. The GE Cafe range is a freestanding design. This would have required us to replace our kitchen countertop because it would have exposed the raw, saw-cut tiles that define the edges of the stove opening. We had some extra tiles in storage, but not enough edging tiles. In turn, this would have forced us to also replace the counters in the downstairs bar and bath, if not the ret of the house. Also, the matching GE over-the-stove microwave measured just a little larger and deeper, making it a tight fit with the existing cabinetry.

3. The Jenn-Aire Pro Style drop-in stove slid right into our existing tile countertop opening and the top edge of the stove overlapped the counter to cover the raw, saw-cut edge of our older tiles.

Now, two years later I have three observations about the design and performance of these appliances.

GE CAFE REFRIGERATOR
    Our model's interior light uses an old-fashioned (low wattage) light bulbs. This means the lighting fixture is very large, and it really intrudes into the compartment space. At the time of our purchase, I was very surprised that GE didn't use LED lighting, and maybe it does by now. I wonder if an LED conversion kit is (or ever will be) available for our model?

The extra capacity of the GE refrigerator compartment remains important to our small family and I'm still glad we decided on this model. However, the GE Cafe refrigerator just doesn't keep drinks like water, soda and milk as cold as we like, nor as cold as our old refrigerator. The refrigerator compartment measures a standard 32F (the lowest setting available), but this just is not quite cold enough (for us, but it may not be a big deal for you -- we like our drinks icy cold). This may be due to the position of the refrigerator compartment's cold air duct (which gets cool air from the freezer), the interior air-circulation, the fact that GE is designed to store drinks in the door, or a combination of all these factors. Also, we notice slightly warmer drink temperatures when the refrigerator is fully-loaded (such as after a big trip to the store). This makes me suspect the compressor may be slightly under-engineered.

One day, when we opened the door to the freezer compartment, a hard package of frozen food dropped to the bottom and cracked the interior liner in a semi-circular line. We just had a repairman out to look at the small crack. These liners are thin shells and a single part (or two). I was told that a styrofoam backing insulator is behind this layer. The only repair is caulk (to prevent the crack from spreading). GE sent the special GE-branded caulk and the repairman drilled two tiny holes at each end the crack and then filled it all with the caulk.

JENN-AIRE PRO STYLE DISHWASHER
    Our inner tub is a stainless steel model, which should last longer. However, the versatile, fully-adjustable baskets have a lot of moving parts and attachments that work using space-age plastic hinges, snaps and roller wheels. These plastic parts started falling off within the first few months of use and this continues today. I think the connector designs need improvement and the harsh wash temperatures quickly took a toll on the functionality of these parts. We just had to replace a locking gate for the top basket due to a broken snap lock. This part cost over $25, though it probably was a 50-cent component.

JENN-AIRE PRO STYLE STOVE
    This stove has two removable grates for the four burners. The grates have rubber feet that nestle into the openings for the burners, but the edges of the grates actually rest atop the stainless steel stovetop. You must carefully lift out the grates to clean the burner wells. When you place the grates back onto the stove, you MUST drop the grates straight down into position. If you misalign the grate placement and then slide the grates front to rear to correct the misalignment, you scratch the hell out of the soft, stainless steel finish. Our otherwise conscientious housekeeper has wrecked the top finish of the stove. No matter how many times I explain how to properly place the grates on the stovetop, she always gets it wrong. Most of these scratches aren't visible when the burner is in place, but they are disappointing and it points to a design flaw in the grate system.

The stove's front control panel faces straight forward -- it is not angled up -- even slightly. This makes it very difficult to read the oven control labels and the writing on the knobs that control the cooktop burners. The GE Cafe stove's control panel was angled up slightly, and better in this respect. Also, the digital interface and integrated touch panel for selecting and choosing the Jenn-Aire oven settings leaves much to be desired. The small control panel display forces the manufacturers to use an array of digital, touch buttons and then step through levels to find the setting and value you want.

IMPROVING THE DIGITAL KITCHEN
    I won't see this idea implemented in my lifetime, but it's time for all appliance manufacturers to move the digital controls off these appliances and place them on the iPad using WiFi, Bluetooth or the new NFC (near field communications) radio technologies. Imagine an App for all these controls! The iPad really is a marvelous and versatile device that already is being used to control entertainment center components in the den, lighting, water, heating, air conditioning and security. Why not the kitchen too?

• jj5gibble_aol_com
    12 years ago

Don't buy the GE Cafe Refrigerator. It may look nice from the outside, but in 2 1/2 years of ownership, I have had the GE repairman at my place to fix a refrigerator that freezes the food, 4 times, and it is still not fixed! I have another visit scheduled for this coming Monday. I have a service contract with PC Richards, and they are wasting my time with sending out repairmen that can't fix the refrigerator. Save your money and buy something that works.

• JANET MURPHY
    3 years ago

I can tell you I am not happy with Cafe and still don't even have the appliances. The electric oven came in damaged and the door had to be replaced. The dishwasher came in with a dented and broken panel on the back and is being reordered. And the refrigerator is still back ordered after 3 months. Not a very happy Cafe future owner.