SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stooxie

New Bluestar RNB48 V1 owner

stooxie
13 years ago

Hello everyone. My first post here after lurking for several months and getting lots of good info.

Right as the whole "Bluestar vs. Capital Culinarian" thing got going I ended up buying a Bluestar (yes, from Eurostoves) and I wanted to provide some data on why I made the decision and what my practical experience has been thus far. I have not seen the CC in person but I did have the chance to get it and thought long and hard about it.

First off, I have the "V1" which represents the "new" updated model which addresses many of the previous issues. I have a 48" RNB with the French cooktop.

I'll just sort of list this out in no particular order.

1. Personally, I WANTED the star shaped burners. Sounds like the CC does a great job of concentrating heat into the center but, to me, the star shaped burner is the best solution. I get good concentration AND I get some distribution. Having cooked on them for about 2 months now I am absolutely pleased with their performance.

2. I notice that the CC now has "all 23k" burners. I don't know for sure, but on my Bluestar I am happy that I have 2x22K, 1x15K and 1x10k. The "low" setting on those big burners can still be pretty hot! Maybe the CC does it better but I'm happy that I don't have to share the same "flame footprint" between my most powerful burners and my simmer burner.

3. I don't care for the oven "self clean" feature for the very reasons Eurostoves used to cite before the CC came along. I've seen plenty of top brand ovens (Kitchenaid, GE, etc) sustain damage like melted seals from the process. The amount of electricity or gas used in the process is crazy.

4. I love the 1800 degree broiler in the Bluestar. It gets HOT which is what I want! I have an infrared thermometer that tops out 1000 degrees and it showed "off the scale" after just a couple minutes of heating the broiler.

5. I am not going to use the rotisserie inside the oven. I have a real rotisserie for that on an outdoor fireplace. For most I would say use an outdoor grill, something doesn't need a "self clean" cycle to remedy the splatter. (My opinion is that the "self clean" feature of ovens is like taking a week or a month off the lifespan every time you do it. Just my feeling.)

6. Someone mentioned something about a wok smothering the flame on the Bluestar. I thought of that myself so I did some research. I even did some rubbernecking at my local Chinese restaurant. Guess what? They run 30,000 BTU blasters and the wok sits totally atop the fire. You don't see any flame util the cook moves the wok at which point the fires belch forth like a volcano. I've used the wok a few times to great effect. Bluestar also has a wok-ring if you desire, one that does not take the place of the primary grate.

7. My oven doors don't stick or squeal. Supposedly addressed with the V1 update.

8. It is positively shocking how steady the ovens are for temperature. Trevor proved this in his videos before the CC came along. It is true, they hold to about 3 degrees +/-. Very impressive. The lowest temp you can get is about 150 degrees which is wonderful.

9. Fit and finish all seem wonderful to me. Everything about the unit is heavy and solid, from the oven racks to the drip trays. (Speaking of which, the drip trays and grates are updated for V1. The full list can be found on this forum.) I got my unit in Cobalt Blue. The color is gorgeous as is the powder coating job.

10. The French cooktop is a real hoot, I am glad I have it. I am not sure this is even an option on the CC currently. While not for everyone, it serves it's purpose and is extremely well implemented in the Bluestar. The plates are HEAVY and provide a gradient of heat just as intended.

11. Some people have complained about Bluestar ovens not being "completely flat" (meaning parallel to the floor when opened). I suppose it's true, mine seem to open about 87 degrees instead of 90. I don't know what to say aside from "I couldn't care less." Every other oven I've ever used did the same, very slight upward angle. Never made a dang bit of difference to anything.

12. The oven racks are all very sturdy and feel like they will last for eternity. I think some people forget that a range like this is supposed to be a HARD WORKING appliance, and not everything is going to have feather light touches or super smooth actions. That's why other makers are successful, like Wolf, Viking, etc.

13. Continuing that thought, everything about this unit shouts "hard working." It really does feel like a restaurant range and that's exactly why it appealed to me. I didn't want a compromise and I believe that once you start adding all the modern conveniences back in you start to compromise.

14. I am willing to bet that 99% of all the demo Bluestar units out there are not the V1 and that is giving some wrong impressions.

I could go on but that's probably enough. The primary thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't spend this kind of money on a range to baby it. A range might have a mirror polish on it when it comes out of the box but it won't last, I promise! I wanted a hard working range that gets HOT and gives me a restaurant range experience, or as close to it as I will get without actually having one. (Yes, I know most commercial burners are upwards of 33k!!)

So that's about it. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd post a picture but it doesn't seem there is a way just to attach it to a post.

Thanks!

-Stooxie

Comments (35)