SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

what is there in between 'turn-key' and DIY?

LE
12 years ago

We are planning to build a small house, but we do have an architect, because I think small houses can be tricker to design than larger ones since all the pieces have to "fit." We live in the city 90 miles from where the house will be built. We are pretty handy, but we know that it would be hard to even manage subs when we can't go by every day. At the same time, we don't think we need the full turnkey system and a large contractor with high overhead.

Is there another model for putting together a team to work on the house and having a lead carpenter/builder who also gets paid to be a project manager? Or a regular GC who just takes it to the "dried in" stage and then we can manage subs for later stages? Timing does not need to be fast-tracked as there will not be a construction loan and we won't be moving there for 3-4 years.

I guess we'd like to do some of the things that are within our skill set and manage some things, but not take on the whole project.

Does anyone do this or is it simply nuts? (And we have been GC's on a relatively large remodel, so I do have some clue as to the headaches involved in coordination.)

Comments (6)