SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catnpnw

Early Research: Blue Star, Le Cornue, Lacanache, Wolf, CC. Etc

catnpnw
12 years ago

My question is two part. I think 1 will help me narrow down 2.

Background: I'm building a new house in the next year or so. Meeting with an architect soon. Our budget allows for high end appliances, but I am looking at all price ranges if it suits my needs. We will have a young, growing family, and like to entertain a lot.

My cooking style: 95% of the time will be spent cooking for 2 adults and 3 kids, but with once or twice a month additional adults. And then the holidays, we might have up to 25 people. I love to bake, and want good, consistent temperature ovens. My husband likes to sear meat and heat water fast. ;) He is in love with Blue Star Salamander. I'd like to have it as a separate unit I can tuck away. I definitely want warming cupboards or drawers.

Personal Preferences: I love the look of the Le Cornue. My husband loves the cooktop of Blue Star.

1. What would be a good configuration for us? Cooktop, wall ovens, range? Range and wall ovens? Cooktop and wall ovens?

2. From my research on ovens, I've come up with this:

Blue Star: Love the flame type and the even distribution of heat. Think it looks okay. Husband loves. Not sure about the ovens. Seems that the customer service is terrible from older threads. Is this still true?

Le Cornue: Expensive, and for that kind of money, I'd want it to work perfectly. Want to know more about the gas and electric ovens and their purposes, but the website doesn't say much. Have seen complaints about oven temp fluctuations. Don't really understand how the French Plaque works, but I love the idea of having gas and electric on the cooktop and the warming cupboards. Have heard the customer service from PM is so-so.

Lacanache: Looks okay. Love the warming cupboards. What's the difference between a classic and traditional cooktop? Have heard the electric ovens take forever to heat up and are slow to cook. Seems they have great customer service.

Molteni: Is there only one oven? Do people do this and another wall unit? There seems to be a lack of burners, but lots of people on these boards recommend them.

Capital Culinairian: The worst website. Hard to understand. But seems to be highly recommended on here. Like the burners. Doesn't say anything about the ovens.

Wolf: Seems either you love or hate them. I hate the utilitarian look. Hard to simmer on?

Viking: Still horrible customer service? Same thoughts and complaints as the Wolf.

Electrlux: Before it became possible to look in other price ranges, I really had planned on these. I've heard they are great to bake in. Love the perfect turkey button. Love the technical aspect.

Also, I'm in the Pacific NW, so a trip to Lacanache and a store in Portland that carries every brand except CC is an easy possibility. I go to NYC every few months, and going to Boston to see the CC isn't out of the question either.

Any others I'm forgetting?

Thanks much.

Comments (25)