SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theredhouse_gw

Crazy to keep my vintage stove?

TheRedHouse
11 years ago

I have a 1950s Tappan 40" inch gas range. I used it in my last house and loved the way it looked and all its little quirks. It has burner covers! And a mechanical timer that's way, way off! And you have to light the oven with a match! It has a broken handle :( but I have the original owners manual! We loved it enough to move it across the country, but it's been stored in the garage for the last 7 years or so because we haven't had a house in which we could use it. We now need that garage storage space and pulled out the stove, and our 50s fridge, to clean and Craigslist. I'm okay with letting go of the fridge, which we can't really use anymore because of its small size, but I'm struggling with saying goodbye to the stove.

Although we can't use the stove now, we hope to move in the next 3 years or so and I'd insist on a house with a kitchen that could accommodate a larger stove like this.

I'm considering renting a storage space that could hold the stove and a few other bulky things. Is this nuts? Am I being ridiculously sentimental over an appliance? I'm struggling with weighing the pros and cons of keeping vs. selling. I'm really attached and in need of some perspective. Anyone have some thoughts to share?

Comments (17)