SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fromwithin

Futuro Futuro answer to my Range hood dilema

fromwithin
14 years ago

So I told them basically i have a 36" island range top and am looking for a range hood to use.

here is there reply...

Hello, and thank you for contacting Futuro Futuro.

You're absolutely right, the bigger the range hood (capture area), the more chance it has to capture all the smoke/steam/grease.

Since your range is equipped with a grill, you should take this factor into consideration, since grills produce so much smoke that no residential range hood (regardless of brand, price, or blower power) can handle it.

If somebody promises you adequate hood performance with the grill, they're not telling the truth - or they just don't know.

This is the most difficult problem in the range hood industry, and so far, no one has come up with a solution that's guaranteed to ventilate a grill.

The dilemma is, the more suction power the range hood produces, the more "bottle effect" it produces - without make-up air, the pressure drops so much that the hood cannot pull out any more air from the room.

In other words, you can only suck so much air out of an empty bottle, to the point where you cannot pull out any more.

So, the only solution to this problem is to get as much help as possible, from the following sources:

1.) Reduce spacing between cooktop and range hood to the minimum, 26-28 inches.

2.) Increase capture area to the maximum allowed by the surroundings (cabinets, etc) - the bigger, the better.

3.) Ensure that your air-conditioner return is located as far as possible from the cooking area, in order to reduce cross-drafts.

4.) At the time of using the grill, it's a good idea to open a window or door, as far as possible from the kitchen, in order to allow make-up air to enter and stabilize the pressure - but not too close so it doesn't create a cross-draft.

We know that this advice may not have solved your problem, but at least now you have a better understanding of what's involved in this issue.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Sales Department by phone at 718-236-1570.

Comment (1)