SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keith_james737

Rafter Styles for Porch?

it'sALLart
11 years ago

I have a curious question about carpentry on roof rafters.

Our large front porch was finished while we were gone a week, big mistake as the style did not turn out like we specified or much like the drawings our architect gave us. I usually hang around during big parts because already I've saved some big problems from happening. Ironically, I'm not a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, but I do possess some logic.

The underside of the porch features a box that is 6 inches deep from the inside ceiling across the length of the porch, above the pillers, and across the two ends. (see pictures). We were supposed to have a flat underside, with the pillars at 8 foot. Instead we got this box effect and the pillars (which we purchased) were cut down to 7 foot 6, a full 6 inches less than spec'd.

After looking at a few other porches, about half had this box thing and half were flat, so it's not horribly WRONG per se, just not what we were wanting.

I have a feeling that this happened because of the rafter style they used, where the rafters sit on top of the chord instead of sitting down inside of it, allowing the entire structure to not only sit higher, but getting rid of the box that is enclosing the beam the rafters sit on, thereby giving you a flat ceiling on the porch instead of a boxed effect.

Are there two different styles of rafters and the carpenters chose one over the other, perhaps the easiest route?

Comments (10)