SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

What brand/line knives would you recommend?

sue36
17 years ago

I have two knife blocks of cheaper knives (block and knives less than $200). The quality just isn't there. I want to start buying some "professional quality" knives, but don't know what to get.

I was looking through Williams Sonoma, and saw Henkels and Wusthof. The Wusthof Classic has the full tang, high carbon steel and polypropylene handles. The Henkels Professional has the same thing, plus they are "ice hardened", whatever that means. These are very traditional knives. Then there are the Wusthof Grand Prix II, that do not have a full tang and have a more ergonomic, but contemporary, look. Henkels has the Twin Cuisine knives, with a full tang, and an ergonomic and contemporary handle.

And that is only the beginning. I go to Sur la Table, and there are even more. I would love your recommendations and comments. If it matters, I have a pretty good size hand for a woman (size large, if they fit). I would be considered and excellent home cook, but am not a professional by any means. I do a lot of chopping and dicing, so a chef's knife (or Santoku) would probably be my first purchase, with a paring knife second and a carving knife third. I would like to buy all from one brand and line, in case I ever put them in a block (they will be going in a drawer for now). I am not interested in knives with wood handles. Thanks for the help and comments.

Comments (32)