SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trepex

New home (BlueStar, Kobe instead of Viking)

trepex
11 years ago

Hi folks,

We are currently building a new home and trying to sort out appliances. In our current home we have the following:

- Miele 36" induction cooktop that we love

- KithenAid electric oven/microwave combo unit that is somewhat mediocre (especially the microwave)

- KitchenAid french door counter-depth fridge with internal water dispenser (love it)

- KitchenAid dishwasher (vanilla, but works well and seems quiet enough)

For the new home we have no space for a wall oven and I want to go gas. So initially we spec'd out an all-Viking kitchen with a 36" AG range (no self-clean), a Viking 10" hood, Viking fridge identical to our current KitchenAid (I guess Amana makes both), and the 301 series Viking dishwasher.

From what I've been reading, we're making a big mistake by going down this road with Viking, and we also really shouldn't be trying to just match all of our appliances to a brand... despite how happy my wife would be to have matching handles on everything.

So at this point I'm thinking of the following, instead:

- BlueStar 36" RCS366BCN from COSTCO

- Kobe Hood (maybe the CH-191, although I'd love a recommendation. I'm looking for nothing taller than 10" and our kitchen will have 12"-deep uppers

Now I need help for the fridge and dishwasher. I was looking at Thermador or Bosch dishwashers, and I'm still thinking we should stick with our fridge unless someone has a real reason not to. The fridge would be the Viking VCFF236.

Finally, am I going the right route with the BlueStar and Kobe? Growing up we had an open burner propane stove and that is what I learned to cook on. I have reservations about sealed burners, and so the BlueStar looks great. It's also $3200 at Costco compared to the $6200 pricetag on the Viking AG.

I really appreciate any advice - thanks!

Comments (15)