SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

your opinion on three home plans

3katz4me
9 years ago

We are selling our current weekend lake place and looking to find something on a more private lot with a house better suited to aging. We are just two fifty something adults with cats - no kids. Had not been planning to build but we have not found an existing home and have found a lot that is very much to our liking so now we are looking into building.

In the short term we would use the house on weekends and for vacations and we frequently have overnight guests - hence four bedrooms and three baths - certainly much more than needed by two adults.. In the long term when we retire or partially retire we will spend more time there but likely will have a small townhome in the city where we currently live as DH doesn't ever plan to retire so would need a place to stay when he's working.

So anyway I have these three somewhat similar house plans - they each have pros and cons in my mind. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on the pros/cons in case I'm missing something. This would be somewhat of our "dream home" but we don't have an unlimited budget so we'd be likely to cut out unnecessary fru-fru features but I also don't want a bland box with no character.

I talked with a builder I know well and asked him rough estimate, what it would cost to build one of these homes - including the one with photos as an example of what kind of interior I'd love. He said probably $500K. How does that sound to you? This would be in MN, 2x6 construction, concrete crawlspace, etc. The lot is for the most part ready as someone has lived there in a mobile home for over twenty years - so there's a driveway, septic, etc. Some clearing of the new building site would be needed.

Number One

Number Two

Number Three

Comments (12)