SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeekaitis

Has anyone really seen Corning Ware or VISIONS cookware explode?

joeekaitis
12 years ago

Having used structurally sound Corning Ware Pyroceram and VISIONS amber glass-ceramic cookware on the stove, under the broiler and in the oven without fear and without incident, I'm leery of tales about its perceived, and no doubt exaggerated, "tendency" to fail catastrophically when used as directed.

So I ask you, world:

Have YOU actually witnessed such explosive failure involving an intact piece of glass-ceramic cookware, specifically brands like Corning Ware Pyroceram, Arcoflam, Pyroflam and VISIONS? No second-hand accounts, please, because they tend to acquire embellishment along the way or the facts are tainted, i.e.: accidentally using Pyrex amber bakeware (which was sold for a short time to compliment VISIONS and was clearly labeled "NO STOVETOP OR BROILER") on the stove. Similarly, don't confuse mid-20th century white Pyrex with Corning Ware Pyroceram.

Lastly, stories about chipped, cracked or otherwise structurally compromised cookware don't count. Cracked cast iron has been known to explode but no one's circulating internet rumors as gospel truth about the "dangers" of cast iron.

Product defects do occur but I'm referring to the widely circulated accounts of a carefully maintained item breaking from normal cooking temperatures or minor thermal shock (less than glass-ceramic's threshold of 840 degrees F) as a reason to throw the stuff away and pull it off the market.

I don't work for World Kitchen and never worked for Corning but I have a feeling if you track down the truth, you'll find misuse, abuse and negligence as the root causes, not a manufactured-in "tendency" to failure.

What say you, world?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022