SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galleyrat

Exhaust(ed)

GalleyRat
12 years ago

For a very slight kitchen redo, I am about to commit hari kari on my chef's knife re the exhaust situation. If that could be resolved, then the rest of the redo will fall into place. I am not gutting and moving walls and starting over, I'm simply adding on. I am doing this to get better exhaust, an added peninsula for more counter space, new granite counters,and better lighting. All electronics are electric not gas.

1. Current ductless (recirculating) OTR microwave combo sucks. No actually that's the problem. It DOESN'T suck! I do not remember having this problem at a former house with a ducted OTR situation, but from what I've read here, the OTR micro exhaust (even ducted) is just one step above opening a window. This appliance is not on an exterior wall. I only have the one wall to work with.

2. Main reason for kitchen redo is to add DUCTED exhaust and a peninsula off of one of my counters. Exhaust has to go down to crawlspace, cannot go up due to finished floor above, and 3 different KDs have recommended this as the most reasonable and economical method. I understand this is not perfect, but this part is not up for discussion. I am fine with getting a blower down there in the crawlspace to help move things along and to make it quieter. I'm not sure what that's exactly called but for my purposes here, I'll call the crawlspace blower an in-line blower. I am roughly at the 30 foot mark that apparently decides whether you need that in-line blower to help move the exhaust. First question: If I go without the in-line blower and then find I need one, can it be added after the fact? Or should I just do it all now? Next question: Can you take a Micro exhaust combo and use the in-line blower to beef up the exhaust? Frankly the OTR Micro and slide-in range is just how the current kitchen is laid out and certainly would be the easiest design to continue with.

3. Recommended by one KD: install a telescopic downdraft, replace free standing range with (electric) cooktop, putting a micro/convection/Advantium whatever kind of thing up where the current micro exhaust combo (i.e over the to-be-installed new electric cooktop) and install an oven in the to-be-built peninsula. Questions: According to all that I've read here the telescopic downdrafts really are not all that great EITHER. What about with an in-line blower? I cook stinky ethnic foods, the usual garlic, curries, etc. Not greasy foods, but of course I do boil water and there's the steam. Currently my whole house smells for days with whatever I've cooked. I realize I now have The World�s Worst Exhaust situation (re-circulating) and that anything will be an improvement, but I would like to pick the best compromise. Also won�t whatever appliance I put above the cooktop still get all steamy and yucky like it currently does above the cooktop? Or does a downdraft at least work well enough for that to not happen? Then addressing moving an oven over to the peninsula: I had wanted this to be my prep/work area. Do I really want to work in front of a potentially hot oven? Won�t the handle stick out and make it impossible for me to sidle up flush to the counter to work?

4. Would a better option be to put a slide in range in and then an under cabinet exhaust hood where the OTR microwave is now? And then I�ll have to figure out what to do with the freaking microwave. Is there any any any any way to have an under cabinet exhaust fan with an OTR Micro up there somewhere? I just do not see any other place in this tiny kitchen to put a microwave. I do not want to bend over in the peninsula to use the microwave, so don't recommend that! I'm keeping the cabinets, but would be willing to add something like a shelf to get a micro off the counter. Figuring an in-line blower for any appropriate exhaust situation, is an under-cabinet exhaust fan better than the telescopic downdraft?

HELP! I'm stuck.

Thanks for all the impressive stuff I've read here to at least get me this far to even know what questions to ask.

GalleyRat

Comments (7)