SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidro1_gw

Your DW may be humidifying your cabinets. Query to DW makers.

davidro1
15 years ago

In many high-end DW, when you open the dishwasher door and

look inside, you will see a round hole in the side of the tub.

It's a vent. Some condensation takes place outside the tub,

in the device attached to this vent.

QUESTION: Water resulting from condensation inside this device attached to the DW vent is not NECESSARILY sent where you might expect it to go. It can be released i.e. allowed to evaporate outside the tub, inside your cabinetry. I asked many manufacturers to answer : "Please tell me which method is used."

ABOUT Condensation chamber on the side of the SS tub:

The water collected in this chamber could be

-- 1. allowed to leave, escape or evaporate, (i.e. goes into a hose open to the air, to drip out or be evaporated)

-- 2. not re-used, going to the drain pump (through a hose)

-- 3. re-used, going back to the tub sump (through a hose)

Dishwasher manufacturers I have called and emailed give different answers about whether their machines let moisture out, or how much. Many say they do. Many say they don't. Those who say they do, also say the amount is not enough to cause your floor to buckle. (!) Some say it could be a half-glass of water amount.

Some say "it drains" or "it gets drained" or "it goes to the drain" but they mean a hose drains the resulting condensation water in the condensation chamber AND THEN upon further study it is clear that this hose puts the H2O out into the room and not back into the machine. So the key question is where the hose is connected to, or if it is open.

In all three different methods described above,

the water could be said to be "drained" (!)

so do not accept this word as an answer.

Ask where the hose goes to.

Then, also good to know is the estimated quantity.

(Humidity inside cabinets is not good, for me.)

--

David

Comments (9)