SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Size of roof cap/ductwork for hood--go a size bigger? If so, how?

artemis78
13 years ago

x-posted from Kitchens in case there are some answers here too...

We're getting ready to install ductwork for our new range hood. I'm stuck on the size of our roof cap, though. The specs for the hood call for a 6" round vent, but in older threads I have saved on this, people recommended going larger than 6" to have flexibility in the future for hoods that need larger ducts.

I'm not at all averse to doing this---everything is open right now so it's the time to do it---but I don't quite understand how I then use a larger duct with a hood that requires a 6" round duct. I see converter kits listed to go from round to rectangular ducts and from 10" to 8" round, but not from, say, a 7" or 8" duct down to a 6" round duct. Does such a thing exist? If not, how do people reconcile hood vent specs (and in this case, vent covers) with larger vent sizes?

If it matters, the hood in question is Kobe RA-94, a 720 CFM chimney wall-mount hood that calls for a 6" round duct, over a 34" all-gas range. Other hoods in the same line list options for 6" or 7" ducts, but this one doesn't. Help...?? (And thanks!)

Comments (14)