SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhouse_gw

Ventilation for a Frigidaire Flair range?

mudhouse_gw
9 years ago

We have a 1960 Frigidaire Flair range, and have used it for almost ten years now. As we plan the update of our kitchen, deciding about whether or not to keep the Flair has been really hard. If we decide to move on, we will find this cool range a good home, with someone who will appreciate it. No scrap heap in this old girl's future.

The ovens work great. Timer and clock no longer work, but that's OK. The Flair featured two special front burners: "Heat Minder", and "Speed Heat". Neither works right anymore; they have one speed (high.) DH (our cook) has gamely adapted, and he mostly moves the pan off the burner, or turns it off, as needed. Hardly ideal, so we're researching for parts and help to fix the burners, through a Google group for Frigidaire Flairs.

I'm posting here for help with another problem: venting. Our kitchen has no exhaust fan or hood; only an old non-working AirKing fan in the ceiling, shown below. My understanding is these old style wall or ceiling fans no longer meet code requirements. We're not sure we want to keep the Flair, as cool as it is, if there's no way to provide ventilation. So, we've been on a hunt.

Frigidaire did make an optional matching exhaust fan (242 cfm) for the Flair. It turned on when you opened it for use, and shut off when you closed it. Pics from an old tech manual online:

And here's a photo from Houzz, showing a single oven Flair with the optional exhaust fan, on top, in the closed position:

Our Flair doesn't have the exhaust fan, and so far I can't find one for sale on the web. Even if we did find one, I don't know if they're as stoutly built as the ranges (would a 50 year old exhaust fan be reliable...?)

I came across these photos on a GW thread by tsdiver. This Flair was destined to be removed, but I took note of the hood arrangement:

They installed a standard under cabinet range hood, above the Flair. My first thought was we could do something similar, by removing the upper cabinets. We are planning to raise our existing 6'11" ceiling (as shown in my first two pics) up to 8' tall, so that will give us another foot of space up there to work with.

You can see in the above that the vent hood fan cannot be positioned directly over the burners, because the burner drawer slides out to beyond the counter tops. (The oven doors would block some air as shown here, but of course, they'd normally be mostly closed while you're cooking.)

Here's another photo of a Frigidaire Flair, coupled with a non-Flair vent hood, from a thread at automaticwasher.org.

Do you think this kind of arrangement would work, although the fan isn't right over the burners?

I did a drawing of an idea that I think might look better, although the function would probably be about the same. Raise the ceiling to 8', and build a wooden box hood, with straight sides, the same width and depth as the upper body of the Flair. Inside this hood enclosure, we position the fan mechanism as far forward as possible. (We've never built our own range hood, and I'm just guessing there would be some wiggle room to position the fan...?)

I don't know what the distance should be, between the top of the Flair unit, and the bottom of the hood. The fan would still not be positioned directly over the burners, but maybe it could be a bit more forward than in standard hood vents (?)

Probably a more important question is: since these are not standard installations for exhaust fans, would this arrangement violate warranties and/or building codes? I'm not clear if the critical distance in building codes relates to the distance between the hood and the cooking surface, or the distance between the hood and any possible partial obstruction (in this case, the top of the Flair.)

Thanks for any help in brainstorming ideas; we're just trying to figure out what our options are (if any!)

Comments (24)