SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gg2327

What am I doing wrong with my cast iron????

gg2327
17 years ago

before i got my ci pan i spent days trawling the net and the forums looking up info on it and now after i got my pan i'm still spending hours trying to find out what am i not doing right.

i just purchased a preseasoned 10 1/4 skillet from lodge logic as i couldn't get the original finish. the firt time i used it on my glass top was for fillet steak and it came out perfect no sticking or whatever. i rinse the skillet with hot water and gave a gentle scrub with a plastic brush to clean it then dried it over a low heat. i was ecstatic over the ease of use and taste of the fillet.

the next time i used it was for frying up bacon and that's when stuff stuck to the pan! when i first put the bacon in it was fine. i was able to move it around freely. this is on medium heat (number 3 on my glass top, 6 is max.) then as it cook more brown bits began forming on the bottom of the pan. this is not meant to happen right? it didn't happen with the fillet.

what am i doing wrong?

am i not heating the pan up enough before putting the bacon in? or am i meant to wait longer for bacon to set before moving it around? have i scrubbed off the seasoning with my plastic scrubber; i don't think i have as it was only a gentle scrub. or it is that my bacon has too much water content? it's cheap bacon from the supermarket not prime stuff.

and now my pan seems to have a dark ring around the edges as well. what's with the dark ring? is it uneven seasoning from the glass top itself as most time it's on number 3 as only the outer ring work not the inner ones. some people say when heating or drying to let the pan smoke a little before adding oil but then some people say than if you let it smoke this would take off the seasoning as well. which is which? i don't know anymore!

any help from anybody is most appreciated as i can't seem to find the answers and tearing my hair out in frustration. thank you in advance

Comments (2)