SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sc2marti

Inset Cabinets+Appliances+Toe Kick=Help, Please!!!

sc2marti
12 years ago

Hi there,

If you have managed to fully integrate within your INSET cabinets a paneled dishwasher, paneled beverage drawers, and/or an under-counter wine cooler (paneled or not, door or drawers), can you please tell me which brands you purchased...and if you have photos, please share? :)

We have made a last minute switch to inset cabinetry, and of course we've already bought our appliances---aaargh!

We realize now that a few of the appliances we purchased for our original plan of overlay cabinets will no longer fully integrate *flush* once a custom cabinetry panel is applied, either because of the unit's depth, or because the door hinges are not "zero clearance."

Specifically, I'm concerned about:

* the beverage drawers (we purchased GE monogram ZIDI240BII, 24" wide opening)

* the dishwasher (we purchased Bosch 800 series SHV58E13UC, 24" wide opening)

* the dual zone wine fridge (we purchased ULine stainless steel/not paneled Beverage Center 1175BEV, 24" wide opening)

My sense is that the only one we may be able to keep is the dw. Thankfully, our appliance store is pretty willing to swap out these appliances.

We are budget constrained, so I'm hoping there are some accessible brands that integrate fully with inset panels! We realize we could probably have the cabinets installed an inch further out from the wall, but I'm not sure what costs that carries, and we are crimped on spacing between the perimeter of the room and the center island as it is, so trying to see if I can adjust appliances before going that route...

As an aside, we've also learned that some appliances can look funky at the toe-kick and are not ideal to integrate into a long run of cabinetry because the appliance's "toe kick" ends lower than or higher than the standard kitchen toe kick. (If that appliance is set next to a cabinet, a difference in neighboring doors can become very obvious because the bottom plane of one does not line up with the other -- as in the DW that is "hidden" in the center of this image:

href>). I'm hoping I can identify appliances that integrate fully AND are not super-noticeably "off" at the toe kick!!

Too much to ask?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Comments (3)

• ulinesalesguy
    12 years ago

Speaking only for the U-Line product listed, the 1175BEVS will sit flush in inset cabinetry, and has a zero clearance hinge. That said, you are correct about toe kick heights; the only products U-Line offers that offers an adjustable, panel-able toekick is the 3000 Series of products, such as the 3036BVWC or the 3018RF.

• weissman
    12 years ago

You should post on the kitchens forum - lots of kitchen designers and other knowledgeable people there

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Making your inset base cabinets 1"-1 1/2" deeper than standard depth will help a great deal with some of your integration issues. You will also want to make the uppers deeper than the standard 12" because a plate will not fit into an inset upper than is only 12" deep. Choosing deepr than normal cabinetry with inset should be "standard" with cabinet makers, but it often is a custom upcharge. Check with your cabinet maker about this before deciding to return any of your purchases---and encountering the restocking fees that will be levied.