SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycjsw

Monogram Microwave - Magnetron - dispute help needed

nycjsw
15 years ago

Ok, I have a built in Monogram Microwave that had a magnetron go out after only about 1.5 years. Here is a big dispute I'm having with GE. I have a friend who repairs appliances. He told me the magnetron was bad (knows about the problems GE is having) and said he would help me replace it. I got GE to overnight the part (they are not supposed to ship magnetrons but did by mistake). GE said they would put it in for me and wave $89 of the service call. They said they had so many problems with their mangnetrons that they would do this for me. The magnetron has a 5 year warranty. I told them I can buy a magnetron for $125 and install it for free but they said "don't do that, we will waived $89" etc etc.

To make a long story short the GE repairman came out. I helped him replace the mangnetron and 20 minutes later he went to his computer and stated that will be $340. I flipped out and called GE Monogram. They were all very rude and will not escalate the matter to anyone. They clown around on the phone and state things like "don't try to call back, we all know who you are, what do you expect to pay for a Monogram repair etc etc". They stated my only action was to write a letter to GE Consumer Affairs. I wrote a 2 page letter and got a phone call today telling me to call a 800 number. I called the number and it was the same Monogram department????? They (the exact same rude people on the phone I dealt with) stated they would not do anything and I must pay their fee or my credit will be impacted. I begged them to take me to court because I don't think any 3rd party would think this is fair.

My question is can they impact my credit score??? I never signed anything or approved a $340 repair. Basically they came in like they were going to take care of me and then billed me $340 for a warranty job on a $1,800 microwave that's less than 2 years old. I would have never of wanted them to do this if I knew up front what the charge would be. I was thinking it might be $50-$100 after the $89 was waived. Thanks in advance!

Comments (27)

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

I'm confused as to whether or not you have a warranty on the product. If this repair is within the warranty period, then of course parts and labor are covered, if you went through the proper channels to obtain service. If you went outside the proper service channels, then of course the repair is on your own nickel, even if it would have been covered by GE under warranty. If the labor warranty has expired, and you received the part free, then the price you received for service is right in the ballpark charged by repair companies, and again, it would be your responsibiity to pay given you OK'd the service. If you were concerned about the price tag of the service, you should have asked for an estimate before considering repair instead of replacement. This is why I counsel people considering a built in MW to reconsider and to go with a countertop model that is "throwaway". Often times the repair price is not that far off from complete replacement.

GE does not experience any more premature magnatron failure than does the industry in general. MWs are mostly disposable appliances, and the longevity of the magnatrons reflect that. Price point has zero correlation as to the expected life of a MW either.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Only the magnetron is still under warranty. Regardless of what you are stating I think GE or any other company would not want it known that their microwaves fail after less than 2 years. Who would buy their $1,800 built in units?

I understand what you are saying about me asking for the warranty work. But where is the cutoff of what they can ask? Why not demand $1,000 in labor??? I find $340 to be outrageous for 20 minutes worth of work. It is not rocket science replacing these magnetrons (6 screws and a plug) and it failed way before the 5 year warranty. Plus, I told GE I could have had it repaired for $125 (parts only) and it would have actually been free b/c they shipped me the magnetron but they said "we will do it and we will waive the $89 service call fee etc etc". If their business model is now to try to sell you an inferior product and count on you paying them $300 every 2 years to repair it then they better start explaining that when you buy it. Why did magnetrons used to last 20 years???

I'm not paying the bill and would love to have an independent 3rd party rule on this matter (not another repairmen). I never signed any contract or estimate and was only told after the work was done. The repair person would not remove the parts and left. My question was how can GE try to impact my credit? That's how they are trying to intimidate me. I also own a Monogram 48" built in Fridge, range with grill, an oven and a dishwasher.

• Related Discussions

Single Oven & Microwave - Need help.

Q

Comments (11)
    Sharp makes all MW drawers. Other brands charge markup to put their own door skin on. 24" and 30" drawer have same size cooking caviity. The 24" SS is $719. Below is a Sharp refurbished model for $415 with one month warranty plus option to buy 1 or 3 year warranty from Sharp. I have one and so do several people on the board. I did not buy extended warranty so don't remember how much they cost. I have no problems. One person I recall had a problem with the opening and close door mechanism. I would imagine same chances of getting a dud as brand new. These can be returns from stores that simply ordered too much but can't be resold as new. Or units where field tech could not fix and exchanged by the factory then fixed. Regarding Electrolux Ovens. I don't think the extra rack,an EZ glid rack, is a huge benefit. I never use 3-4 racks but maybe you do or wish to? Do you want to bake that much at a time? The 2 speed vs variable speed convection fan is no big deal to me either. I really like the look of the aluminized door 75GPS model as well as the towel bar handle. The cool door feature could be a big deal depending on where the oven is placed and if you have kids. I think you would be perfectly happy with the less expensive model but I always want all the bells and whitles if the price is anywhere near my price range. And I do like the look of the 75gps model including the towel bar handle. I would skip the combo oven for the reasons mentioned in my first post. Here is a link that might be useful: KB6024MS
    ...See More

Need Built-in Microwave advice

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, trim kits are that expensive? With that track record, I would not do it again, especially if you don't even use it. I would turn that area into an open shelf for something that is used regularly. If you have a pantry, maybe just buy a small unit that can stay on the counter. I have a GE Profile spacemaker that is mounted to the bottom of my upper cabinets. Had it for around 6 years now, no issues at all with daily use, and I can still use the countertop beneath it.
    ...See More

Need help selecting a convection microwave or speed oven

Q

Comments (13)
    Paulysutherlin: Sharp 930. We've had of the same model, 2 houses, custom shelf mounts and dimensions have not changed so easy to trade out an old for a new. First one was a pleasant surprise and we stayed with them. Uses: usual micro defrosting, cooking veggies and other frozen foods), for convec uses are baking and roasting (cookies, pies, meats--usually chicken and meatloaf). The dual mode uses convec heat and lower levels of microwave power, good reheating stuff with a crust that you don't want to get soggy and speed cooking bakes and the like. Replaced a lot of cooking we previously did in range ovens--faster preheat and less heat in the kitchen. Also is good backup as second oven. The space is larger than most traditional micros and it has two levels for stacked dishes. Inside is SS so a little scrubbing and attention to keep clean, I wouldn't do much that is greasy and spits like bacon, but stuff like skin-on chicken breasts are fine. No toasting and no broiling . . . Have baked bread rounds with toppings or for bruchetta
    ...See More

Monogram Vs Cafe wall oven - need help deciding

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you. We are very aware of the supply chain issues and the sale to Haier. We’re not in a huge hurry though - as we are doing a full remodel and don’t have our cabinets on order yet either (still finalizing the design with our KD - who advised us to get the appliances on order). Timing isn’t too critical for us though. We have extra room for storage if we need it - and know we could be waiting 6 months to a year for delivery. Just trying to make the selection decision at this point. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • weissman
    15 years ago

Do you have the name of the person who told you they would waive the fee - that would help. Ultimately, GE or a collection agency that they turn it over to would have to go to court to get a judgement against you. Only then could they legitimately put it on your credit rating - and even if they attempted to do so, you have recourse with the credit reporting bureaus. Good luck.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you weissman!!!!!!!!!! Your response clearly answered my question!
    Perhaps I should just give in and pay the scam bill but I feel strongly about this issue. I gave Monogram over $20K and this is how they treat me. They are so rude on the phone and will not escalate the matter. I even spent over an hour writing a letter as they requested (I should send them a bill for writing the letter -haha) only to have them tell me to call the same 800 phone number.

To the previous poster about $340 being a fair labor charge for 20 minutes worth or work on an item under warranty. It may be the going rate but I think it is borderline criminal and hope more people get into the industry to drive down the labor rates. That is way outside even auto repair rates. Tell me what other profession charges such a high rate to replace such a simple item (6 screws and a plug)? I mean this isn't like doing a heart transplant. It is also borderline criminal that these companies are no longer building the best product they can make for the price. They are changing their business model on purpose and building mangnetrons that only last a few years and are trying to get a service fee every few years. This is like applying the HP printer business model to appliances. But the appliance makers aren't telling the customers what junk they are making or what to expect.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

You did receive the $89 discount, right? And you received the service that you are being charged for? Then you owe the fee.

If you did not receive the discount, or were being charged for service you did not receive, then you would have a dispute. You are well within your right to dispute the charge of the service before you receive it. But, if you didn't ask before you engaged the repair, then you have no recourse but to pay the going rate. If you sit down to dinner at a restaurant with no prices on the menu and have a full meal, you're responsible for the bill at the end. You can't gripe about it being $500 when you thought it was $50 unless you ask before ordering. And, while it is irritating to have to pay for repairs so soon to a relatively new product, GE did cover the parts that were warrantied, as they promised to do. The warranty covered the parts. YOU are responsible for the labor. So, pay the bill. You do owe the service person for their labors. Even if you don't agree with the cost. You still received the service.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I understand what you are writing and think your examples are a bit off. The part was under warranty. You state GE covered the part. Well, not really if they are charging me $340 for labor (it is just a cost shift game). That labor charge more than pays for part and a very nice profit for GE. They would be making more off me than if they sold 5 cheap microwaves. I feel GE should come crawling to my home embarrassed that their product failed so soon and perhaps charge a labor rate that pays for the labor. I doubt the repairman makes that much so $340 for 20 minutes is over $1,000 an hour. That is some serious profit. For that much GE should announce they will honor any magnetron that fails for any brand and state the part will be free. You do realize that billing $1,000 an hour is a lot?

Your dinner example ignores the fact that I bought the microwave for $1,500 (another $300 for the trim kit) and that it failed under warranty. It also ignores the fact that the perception is that microwaves will last way longer than 2 years. GE even admits they are having trouble with their magnetrons failing early. I don't think services rendered (fixing a magnetron under warranty) reflects the charge of $340. I feel $75 is a much more accurate charge. This would be about $150-$200 in labor per hour. GE would make a profit and I would not be that pissed. Your dinner example (menu with no prices) also is off because most menus have prices. So some of the burden would fall on the restaurant if they did not have prices and charged $200 for a hamburger. I feel it is equally outrageous what GE is charging and feel if they were more honest they would have told me upfront what the price would be. I asked when I called GE and they would not tell me what it was to replace a magnetron (even though they clearly had the labor prices). I told them that I could buy a magnetron for $125 and replace it myself. This is when they stated "don't do that, we will waive the $89 fee etc etc". This gave me the impression any charges would be under $125. I don't think the average person would think $340 to repair a part under warranty is fair. So the burden to communicate this first is also on GE.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An update - the repair was done in September and now the Microwave is doing the same thing again. Today the magnetron went out!!!! I still have not paid. I guess they expect me to pay their labor charge every few months.

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Are you talking about the Advantium? I am curious, because I do not know of a regular microwave that costs $1800 even if it's a built-in. But you never mentioned Advantium, so maybe you do have just a regular microwave. What Monogram microwave do you have?

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the ZMC1095SF03 Monogram that also acts as an oven. In the $1,800 price I'm including the $300+ trim kit I had to buy. GE offered me to buy an Advantium for about $900 with trim kit, taxes and shipping. At this point I'm thinking of how I can best deal with buying a stand along microwave and putting it in the built in hole. I've read too much about magnetrons going out really soon to invest a lot in another built in.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

Dude! I wouldn't be complaining about the repair, I would be complaining to your retailer for ripping you off on the purchase price! From what I can see of your model ZMC1095SF, all you have is a convection microwave with just 1.0 cu. ft. capacity and 800 watts. It's not an Advantium, not Trivection, just a convection microwave. It looks a little fancier cause its display panel is across the top instead of on the side like other convection microwaves. You could've picked up the Panasonic top-of-the-line convection microwave, for like, $500-600, plus $200 for its trim kit for the built-in look. The Panasonic woulda gotten you 1.5 cu. ft., 1100 watts, and a more reliable machine.

Sorry dude, $1800. I didn't spend that much on my Miele dishwasher.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Monogram Conv. Microwave ZMC1095SF

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry dude. But I'm pricing replacement microwaves now with convection cooking and as you noted they are almost $700 for a shelf top model with a trim kit (not elite brands). As you can see ours looked a lot better. I never stated the thing was a bargain and did lots of research on my other appliances but did not do as much on the microwave. I guess when your building a house you overlook some things.
    I'm leaning now towards a Jenn-Air MW with convection and I can buy a 4 year extended warranty for about $80.

• joelcoffey
    15 years ago

I'm curious as to who you purchased your Monogram products from, any good dealer would have called GE on your behalf and gotten there factory rep. involved?

I want to avoid purchasing from who ever is leaving you out in the cold.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My general contractor did the appliances and we got credit for the Profile appliances that came with the bid/contract. So I did not buy these at the retail level. But I've read so many posts by people that have had the same problem with Monogram and they got their appliances from a retailer so I don't think it matters. The unit was outside of the 1 year warranty and was 1 year 10 months when it first malfunctioned. There is a consumer affairs website that list a lot of similar stories as mine.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

Nycjsw - I re-read my message, and sorry if I sounded a little annoying. The Jenn-Air (I believe you're talking about the JMC9158BAS?) will be an improvement over your GE Monogram since it's 1.5 cu. ft. and more powerful at 1000 watts. Just MHO, but I still like that Panasonic I mentioned above, in case you're still looking at other brands. The Panasonic is cleaner-looking since it doesn't have the handle sticking out that the Jenn-Air has. And I find the Jenn-Air control panel a little busy, while clearly the Panasonic guys were thinking about simplicity and symmetry. And the Panasonic "Inverter Technology" is an improvement over other MW's. But maybe it doesn't fit in with the rest of your kitchen, I don't know. Anyway, just my $.02.

Jenn-Air JMC9158BAS

Panasonic NN-C994S

Panasonic Trim Kit NN-TK913SS

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks alwaysfixin. I looked at the Panasonic MW you listed. I like it but it is not carried by the US Appliance website. That website offers extended warranties for really cheap. You can add 4 years onto the manufacturer warranty for only $90. But they don't carry Panasonic. After this last MW/Convection oven experience I really want to get a long warranty. What really stinks is the hole for my previous MW is not going to work with any trim kit.

I would take the Advantium deal Monogram offered me ($846 total) if I could buy the 4 year extended warranty from the US Appliance Website. The Advantium ASC1001KSS will fit the hold perfectly. US Appliance will let you add the warranty to your checkout cart by itself but I don't know if you can really buy the warranty from them without buying the microwave? They aren't opened till Monday. Like the Panasonic, if I can't get the extended warranty for a low price I'm not getting the Advantium.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

Nycjsw - check out Abt Electronics. They are a VERY reputable retailer. Abt carries the Panasonic NN-C994S, and the matching trim kit, and they offer extended warranties. I am linking it below. Click on the tab that says "Warranty", and then type in your zip code. It looks like the "Abt Internet 4 Year Protection Plan" is $49 for a New York zip code.

Panasonic NN-C994S at Abt Electronics

Also, re a trim kit. There is a company that makes custom trim kits to fit your space. They are called Micro-Trim Inc. Check it out.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

One more thing. I do prefer the Panasonic over the Jenn-Air convection microwave. But the Advantium is a whole different machine, so you can't compare the Advantium with either of the Jenn-Air or Panasonic; it's apples and oranges. It sounds like you are getting a very good price for that Advantium. My post was just addressing the convection microwave choice.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I looked at that website earlier but for some reason the warranty states "no longer available on the website" if you click on it to find out details? But you can still add it to your cart so I guess you can get it. It is only $49 for 4 years so that is pretty good.

I can't find out much info on the trim kit. I have the MW hole in a 30" cabinet. The cut out is only 25 1/8" W x 17 1/2H. I'm thinking about making the the hole/cabinet have more of a finished box look (inside cherry wood as outside) and just putting the microwave in there. This would not only save me the trim kit costs but also provide for future easy replacement. I just don't think they make microwaves like they used to. I could also cut a vent hole on top of the microwave area and vent it into the cabinets above to help with air flow. Either way there will be over 3 inches on each side of the unit to help with airflow. Our old unit broke on Friday and I think I've spent about 5 hours researching this stuff. Well, at least someone in the future might also benefit from these posts.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

nycjsw, call Abt customer service. They are wonderful to deal with and can answer your questions about that warranty from the website. I agree with alwaysfixin, Abt is very reputable and I love shopping their brick and mortar store. After what you have gone through they will be a welcome change.

• gorilla_x
    15 years ago

nycjsw,

Just a note here that I believe you were not duped on the labor charges... but you failed to ask to proper questions.

They said they would waive the service call fee of $89... the service call fee is what one pays just to get the repairman out to the house... labor is separate.

You should have asked "is there a charge for labor, and if so, how much?" What they did do is supply some information, and hoped you would not follow up with a labor question.

-Gorilla

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

If you think GE customer service is bad, just buy a Jennaire. Whirlpool/Maytag/Jennair/Magic Chef customer service is the worst in the business. And, you're paying extra for a Magic Chef with a Jennaire nameplate.

BTW, many of the aftermarket extended warranties are offered and serviced by GE. Most of the "budget" ones, in fact. You might want to check that out before deciding to go that route. A $100 stand alone MW is a lot cheaper option for most people in the long run, and usually you can get more power and more space for a LOT less money than with a built in.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, thanks everyone for the help. I ordered the Panasonic unit that Alwaysfixin recommened. I found good reviews on it although there were not as many reviews as I would have liked. ABT was very helpful on the phone.

Yes, the extended warranty is through GE. I wonder if GE is going to deal with me after the dispute we are having over my Monogram microwave. Just to be safe we did not buy the new microwave in my name:)

As far as the labor charges I'm not paying to GE. Screw them and their bogus microwave. They have freely admitted
    the problems my unit is having and one rep stated "that's why we don't make that unit anymore b/c of the problems it had"???? They wanted to sell me an Advantium. I will gladly let them pick up my old or I will take it to their service center. They can use it as a paper weight or a nice timer.

• bagh
    15 years ago

Hello mycjsw... I have the same microwave that came with the new house I bought 2 years ago. The Microwave has failed about 3 times. The first two times, it was still under the 1 year warranty. Now when I call GE they say it will be a charge item. I also wanted to call GE consumer affair and do something about it, as this should have not happened. Do you happen to have their number that I can call (800 or WE). I would appreciate that. Also, there has to be a way to get your money back on such an expensive item. I would appreciate any help you can give...

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bagh, I called Monogram (800# in your manual and the GE consumer affairs department) so many times and did not get anywhere. I also wrote a long letter and all I got was a phone call where they gave me a number to call that turned out to be to the same Monogram department. I recently got the address for the Risk Management Department that I was told handled disputes. I also went to the consumer affairs website and posted my problem.

As you probably already read, I have been disputing their outrageous labor fee for replacing their faulty magnetron. Part of the reason for my dispute was the fact that GE freely told me that the magnetron in my unit had lots of problems and does not last very long. Lucky for me I refused to pay their high fee for replacing the magnetron (which was under warranty) because it broke again about 45 day later. It looks like I'll be eating the cost of the microwave b/c I refuse to pay GE to fix it out of the belief that it will keep breaking. Perhaps if enough people start to complain we might get better results. Let me know if you need any other info. I have an attorney in the family who might get involved.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Panasonic microwave arrived and it's in the hole where the old Monogram went. It is a pretty nice microwave with lots of extra features and way more power than the Monogram.
    We just need to have some cabinet work done to make the hole have a more finished look. The inside of the hole is not stained cherry like our cabinets and the hole itself is bigger than the cutout. So we are going to make the hole flush with the cutout dimensions and stain it.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A further update. GE called and said they will not go after me for the first repair charges. They also apoligized for the way eveything was handled. I told them thank you and I'm glad they called to end this matter. I also told them I still have a MW that cost me close to $1,800 that doesn't work and that has been replaced with another brand.

• footballmom
    15 years ago

Do not forget to have written documentation from GE that the account is no longer in dispute. I just so happened that apple did the same thing with me about a disputed credit charge on an item I was double charged for. It showed up on my credit repot and without the written documentation I had that the account was no longer in dispute, It would have adversley affected my score. Always get it in writing. The name of the person telling you it is no longer an issue isn't enough.
    G