SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinar_gw

bathroom vent fan cover

pinar
16 years ago

Hi,

We are actually redoing our kitchen, not our bathroom, but everything the kitchen is touching seems to be affected and this includes the bathroom.

So, while we had the electrician at hand and all the walls gutted on the other side, we did some electrical work and installed a bathroom vent fan, too. The electrician insisted that the regular flexible vent pipes that you put into the attic cannot be stretched more than 8 feet, which put the vent right in the middle of the room, instead of tucked away in front of the shower. This is also right behind I would have put a ceiling light fixture, which would have looked oh so good.

Not only that, due to the joist situation in the attic, the vent could only be installed along the joists one way and the way the ceiling cover attaches, the grilles run along the direction you are looking at them, exposing the vent. If that is not enough, the grilles are actually bent out of being parallel.

The whole thing looks ugly and I am upset that I didn't say no, when he wanted to install it where he wanted to install it and have done some research beforehand.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) What do you do, if you want to install your vent more than 8 feet from the exterior wall, but still vent out on an exterior wall? Is there a special pipe for that?

2) Are there ceiling covers for vents that can be attached in the direction you want and that can be painted the same color as the ceiling to make them less visible, should we decide not to relocate the vent?

Thanks so much for any answers!

Pinar

Comments (2)