SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineer007_gw

Metal Roof underlayment & roof deck insulation

engineer007
12 years ago

I'm building a house in coastal GA.

The facts:

1. The plan is to install a metal roof. The roof deck is plywood. The standing seam roof panels will be screwed directly to the plywood.

2. The contractor placed an "off brand" ice and water shield as an underlayment ( I asked for the ice and water shield but I was thinking grace...).

3. The underlayment product is not a permeable material.

4. We are planning to spay foam the roof deck with open cell insulation.

5. The manufacture of the roof panels recommends the installation of the panels over 30# felt paper.

Question 1:

I'm worried that since the underlayment is a vapor barrier, and the attic will be conditioned (use of spray foam) I will get condensation at the inside of the roof deck between the plywood and the open cell foam and will damage the plywood from the inside...

The climate here is very humid and hot during the summer time. All walls get open cell spray foam insulation and a permeable house wrap for that reason.

Any help and guidance will be great.

Question 2:

The underlayment product used by the GC has a granular surface. I brought up the fact that this kind of surface will damage the underside of the roof and his solution is to install felt paper on top of the water shield product he used. So I will have open cell spray foam, plywood, water shield vapor barrier, 30# felt and the metal roof. Does this sound right?

Thank you for your help.

Comments (3)