SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graceshan_gw

New member saying hello and ? about beach shingles

graceshan
12 years ago

Hello! I'm new to this forum and am very excited to have found it. My hubby Jonah and I live in Edmonds, Washington and we are just beginning our build although it has taken years to actually get to this point. We took down our old cottage about 1.5 weeks ago and should be pouring the foundation for the new house next week. Like many of you, I started a blog to document the process and I just put up a video of our house/garage demolition and our house plans. I'll post a link in case anyone is interested. I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you throughout this journey and watching your homes be built too. It looks like some are almost finished!

My biggest concern right now is the exterior. We are building a craftsman style beach house and want the shingles to look beachy with that somewhat weathered look but we want to use hardie-type shingles since we live near the ocean and want low maintenance. I've searched online and can't seem to find hardie (or the equivalent) shingles that have that beachy look of weathered cedar. Does anyone know if they exist? Our second choice is to go with a pale buttery yellow color since we have both siding and shingles and then they'd at least match up. But my heart has been set on the "beach shingle" look for some time now and I don't want to give that up just yet. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Shannon

p.s. Blog link is below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Build a Home

Comments (8)