SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apbnash

Question regarding bathroom fans

apbnash
16 years ago

I am about to start another phase of our master bath remodel and I need some advice on a good bathroom fan/light combo. Currently, we have a small broan/nutone exhaust fan directly above the toilet but we need to put a light up there as we are enclosing the commode for more privacy. It currently is mostly out in the open in our master bathroom, except for a partition which separates it from the tub. Once we put up a small wall and door, it would be extremely dark in there without an overhead light, as there are no windows in that part of the bathroom. This necessitates a change. So, I've read a lot here about Panasonic fans and had a few questions.

Last year, we put in a new shower on the opposite side of the bathroom and installed a Nutone fan (I was short on time to get a Panasonic) directly over the shower. Yes, following advice here, we did vent it directly through the roof to the outside of the house. I think that fan is 110 cfm and seems to adequately clear steam as our mirrors never fog and I take very long, hot showers. Therefore, the exhaust fan over the toilet would be only to "clear the air", as it would generally not be running when the shower is in use. I don't see the need to vent this one through the roof since it would not be pulling in any moisture. Is this correct thinking?

Also, I was thinking of a fan/light combo since it would take up less space overhead. I don't see the need for a separate fan and light in such a small area. Agree? In addition, I was thinking of having it controlled by a single switch (there is only one there now since all we have is the fan.) This would, of course, mean that the light and fan would always be on at the same time but I wasn't sure how complex it would be, electrical wise, to have separate switches or even if fan light combos can operate independently if they are housed in one unit. What are your thoughts on this?

Lastly, assuming we go with the Panasonic, is it better to order online, through Wave Plumbing, or try to find a local source? I am in the Nashville area. I am targeting this job to be completed during February and wasn't sure how much lead time I needed to obtain one of these. Please let me know your thoughts on this! Thanks!! Amy

Comments (2)