SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mschway

Fridge next to wall oven: how much space?

mschway
14 years ago

We're moving our kitchen into a "great room" and the latest design has the fridge (probably KA counter depth French door) right next to the oven stack (Miele speed oven on top of Bosch 30" convection).

The KA installation manual warns against placing the fridge near heat sources like ovens. I'm sure this is a good point.

Problem is that it's the best spot for our kitchen layout. I thought of a couple of ways to separate the oven and fridge:

1) a narrow, 9-12" wide full-height 24"deep cabinet with 3-4 shelves for rack and tray storage.

2) An even narrower filler strip packed with insulation and capped with our cabinet face of choice.

Option 1 is nice because it gives us some extra storage, but I'm afraid if it's 24" deep, stuff will get lost in there and hard to retrieve (unless we put in a false back, 18" from the front. Besides, it's the widest of the options and will take away from the area allotted to our proposed pantry which will be on the other side of the oven.

Option 2 seems plausible since it won't take up as much width and we'll be able to keep the pantry as wide as originally planned.

If we go with option 2, how wide a filler do we need? (assuming it's stuffed with fiberglass or foam)

Thanks in advance,

--Mike (The DW, not the designer)

Comments (3)